Air France Cancellation?

jrltrl

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5199 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I currently live in Belgium and recently booked a ticket on "cheaptickets.com" for an Air France flight from Paris to Bamako in July-- it was meant to be a fun holiday touring around Africa for two weeks with some mates from university and something that i was really looking forward to. Like most fares booked on these sites, the ticket was non-changeable and non-refundable.

Late last week, I learned some sad news that my mother has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer an will undergo surgery in New York next week. Despite the hope of the surgery, the prognosis for this kind of cancer is usally not very promising, so I've taken the decision to go to New York this weekend to be with her. I don't know how long I will need to be there and in any case I can't envision taking a two week holiday touring while my mom is sick.

The ticket was a fair amount (appx 1200 EUR) and I'd obviously like to recover whatever possible. What is the best way to approach this? Do I need to contact Air France? Cheaptickets.com? If I purchase travel insurance now, would I be able to submit a claim? or does this qualify as a pre-existing condition?

Thank you all-- any insight is appreciated!

No, you can not purchase insurance now, your mother's condition will be deemed a relevant factor to the insurers, and should you try to claim, it would be fraud, pure and simple.

I don't think you have the slightest chance of recovering a euro, to be honest. You could try appealing to AF's better nature, but as far as I know, they don't have one. :rolleyes:

Sorry I can't give you a better answer, but this is one of those things where hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I hope your mum's op is successful.

In january this year myself, mum and dad and my partner where going on holiday to the states. I had booked the flight with American Airline. On 27th December my dad had an heart attack, we all had travel insurance but i thought I would ring American Airlines first to see what they could do. They where happy to cancel my mum and dads and even offered to cancel mine and my partners. Also they wanted was a letter from the hospital stating what had happened.

They wouldnt refund the money (non refundable none changable tickets like yours) but did give us flight vouchers for the full amount to be redememed within the year but for flights anytime.

I would ring Air France direct with your reference and explain the situation, and that you can get a letter from the doctors involved outlining your mothers condition.

thank you both for taking the time to respond. with the surgery, it's been a difficult week, indeed. while the surgery itself achieved what it was meant to, my mom will still need further treatment.

anyway, the website where I purchased the tickets has directed me to AirFrance to make my case. It's Saturday and their customer reps aren't available yet and hope they show some compassion... we shall see.

will post whatever happens!