HBOS just took away my overdraft - please help!!!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6131 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hiya, I havent quite got round to going for my bank charges yet but have been thinking about it for a few months. anyway this is not about charges (although it soon will be!!)

The Bank of Scotland just took away my 2000 pound overdraft. It was an old student overdraft from a few years ago when I was at uni. They have the right to do it I just never thought they would.

It is (was) pretty much maxed out and I got a letter this morning saying that my new overdraft application for 100 was successful. I never applied for a new overdraft let alone a tiny one but they wont increase it. Basically i'm screwed!!

I have little money, lots of debt and the only assets I have are my computer and guitar (both worth 300 quid tops). They are demanding payment up front now... I looked into reclaiming my bank charges a while back, got some statements but it never went any further. HBOS owe me about 500 and i'm sure if I could get the number of my old credit card that would increase but that would still take months to do and thats time i dont have (although am definitely re-starting the process tomorrow after this debacle)

What am I supposed to do. I tried the old "I'm still at uni / just graduated" but that only got so far till they demanded proof and if I forge my graduation certificate (which i am seriously considering) to show my graduation date as some time this month the it could quite quickly lead me to jail shoulld they actually check up on it (although they did say I would get the overdraft back).

My finances (like most peoples) are finely balanced on the edge of a knife and this fairly screws me over. Worst thing is I was this close to sorting everything out but cant do that now I owe 1900 to them (which i'm sure will attract some hefty unauthorised bank charges). I had worked it out and I figure I could clear the account in 6 months. Now all of my pay is about to be swallowed up and I have many bills to pay!!!

Please someone give me some advice. anything...

Hi, Jim.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation, been in the same boat myself. Can you not phone the bank and ask them if you can come to some sort of monthly payment plan, and pay as much as you can. If you don't have the money, they can't get blood out of a stone. After my first claim against BOS they closed my account and asked me to cut up my Visa card, but to continue making monthly payments as usual.You should try to get your details of your old credit card and count up the charges, you might be surprised. Also claim back your charges, every penny you can get back will obviously help you. I'm sorry I can't be of much help to you, but someone else may help you out. Have a look round the site, there are Debt Forums, you might find something to ease your problems there.

Hope someone can give you good advise.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

I agree with Scott about totalling up the charges - it makes for a (nastly) / pleasant shock!

Offer to pay back an amount a month which suits you.

Good luck!

Dummie's Guide to CAG: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/welcome-consumer-forums/107001-how-do-i-dummies.html

Me v BofS: Charges: £13,048.10 #2a/c Statements from 08/01/01 received. Charges:£5,156.39 Information Commissioner's Office informed June 12th who wrote to BoS, June 22nd for non-compliance. #1a/c: passed to BoS Senior Review Team. Discovered 2 further a/cs, and 3 Loan accounts. "Goodwill offer" of £7,424.23 06/07/07. Accepted (partial repayment). 20/07/07 Top-up payments of £2,558.10 & £1,154.00

£11,136.33 paid back thus far.

New claim issued: 9/07/2007 for 3rd account: £500+ PRESSING ON!

Don't forget - when you win - a donation to CAG would be welcome!

If anything I've said has remotely been of any assistance, then please tip my scales!

Yeah,

Spoke to them this morning and they want me to clear it off within 3 months (£600 a month)!! Told them that couldnt happen so they suggested £300 a month and that cant happen either as I only earn £800 and £500 goes to bills which would leave me with no money for food etc!!.

Still the guy did tell me accidentally that if I go through Citizens Advice Bureau then I can pay off as much as I can afford but not their rediculous amounts. Either way, the charges letters are getting sent out today for my current account and i'm off to chase up details of the credit card.

Cheers for the advice

Hi

I have been in a similar situation a few years ago. Went to the Citizens Advice and it was brilliant. They managed to stop all interest and charges from going any further. Had to fill out a load of forms but in the end only paid £1 per month to the Halifax!! After a few years, managed to get sorted and the whole lot paid off. Can definitely recommend the CAB.

Good luck