SAR - reasonable time period to respond

thunderpuss2k
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6526 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Sent an SAR to a bank on 25th May, they replied on 8th June (got it on Sat) saying they needed more money (ok so I only sent £2, so far it's worked for me in a couple of cases). I seem to remember that the 40 days only starts on receipt of correct payment and SAR, however..

What's a reasonable time period to allow for the recipient of the SAR to flag a problem? IMHO two weeks is just an excuse to stall the process - in fact they actually said in their letter '... the information will be provided within 40 days of receipt of my cheque' (referring to the £10)

If my reply or advice was helpful, please click the scales!

-------

DISCLAIMER: My opinions are strictly personal, and should not be taken as a substitute for individual professional legal advice on your own particular situation.

-------

I think you will still need to allow 40 days from when they receive the payment. You tried to take a short cut that failed to work, and I don't think you would have any luck with ICO if you had not given the amount of time they are legally allowed to respond, and if it got to court it might work against you if you have not allowed proper time scales.

Just my opinion.

• Haha 1
The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Indeed - 40 days from the date they receive payment.

Please don't try to speed things up or bypass any stages - it could harm your case considerably.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Thanks everyone. Wasn't intending to speed things up or bypass anything - I have said in my letter back I was disappointed that they took so long to respond, and trust that they will be able to meet their requirements to provide the data within 40 days and no further delays will occur.

Would have sent them all £10 each, but didn't have £60 spare at the time.

Anyway.. moving on :)

If my reply or advice was helpful, please click the scales!

-------

DISCLAIMER: My opinions are strictly personal, and should not be taken as a substitute for individual professional legal advice on your own particular situation.

-------

I was (and still am) tempted to enforce a 30-day period on Lloyds TSB for when I return the reply I received, stating they needed a nominated branch (changes of address ...) and a fee (though I have been reliably informed by a manager at my holding branch that this will be waived, so I will not be including it). The reason behind knocking 10 days off the legal period before lodging a complaint may have something to do with it taking them 21 days to acknowledge the request, so I might be able to argue that they were deliberately trying to circumvent the time period applicable.

HSBCLloyds TSBcontractual interestNew Tax Creditscoming for you?NTL/Virgin Media

Never give in ... Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. Churchill, 1941

You must remember that you are playing a legal game with professional lawyers. It is your call - but I know that I want to be 100% sure I have followed the correct procedure before I have to justify my actions in front of a District Judge.