• Tweets

• One other point to note, the more I read, the more I study, the more proficient I feel I am becoming in this area. Make no mistake DBCL if you are reading this, when I win in court, if I have the grounds to make any claims against you, such as breach of GDPR, I shall be doing so.
    • Yep, I read that and thought about trying to find out what the consideration and grace period is at Riverside but not sure I can. I know they say "You must tell us the specific consideration/grace period at a site if our compliance team or our agents ask what it is"  but I doubt they would disclose it to the public, maybe I should have asked in my CPR 31.14 letter? Yes, I think I can get rid of 5 minutes. I am also going to include a point about BPA CoP: 13.2 The reference to a consideration period in 13.1 shall not apply where a parking event takes place. I think that is Deception .... They giveth with one hand and taketh away with the other!
    • Six months of conflict have also taken a heavy economic toll.View the full article
    • the Town and Country [advertisments ] Regulations 2007 are not easy to understand. Most Council planing officials don't so it's good that you found one who knows. Although he may not have been right if the rogues have not been "controlling" in the car park for that long. The time only starts when the ANPR signs go up, not how long the area has been used as a car park.   Sadly I have checked Highview out and they have been there since at least 2014 . I have looked at the BPA Code of Practice version 8 which covers 2023 and that states Re Consideration and Grace Periods 13.3 Where a parking location is one where a limited period of parking is permitted, or where drivers contract to park for a defined period and pay for that service in advance (Pay & Display), this would be considered as a parking event and a Grace Period of at least 10 minutes must be added to the end of a parking event before you issue a PCN. It then goes on to explain a bit more further down 13.5 You must tell us the specific consideration/grace period at a site if our compliance team or our agents ask what it is. 13.6 Neither a consideration period or a grace period are periods of free parking and there is no requirement for you to offer an additional allowance on top of a consideration or grace period. _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________So you have  now only overstayed 5 minutes maximum since BPA quote a minimum of 10 minutes. And it may be that the Riverside does have a longer period perhaps because of the size of the car park? So it becomes even more incumbent on you to remember where the extra 5 minutes could be.  Were you travelling as a family with children or a disabled person where getting them in and out of the car would take longer. Was there difficulty finding a space, or having to queue to get out of the car park . Or anything else that could account for another 5 minutes  without having to claim the difference between the ANPR times and the actual times.
    • Regarding a driver, that HAS paid for parking but input an incorrect Vehicle Registration Number.   This is an easy mistake to make, especially if a driver has access to more than one vehicle. First of all, upon receiving an NTK/PCN it is important to check that the Notice fully complies with PoFA 2012 Schedule 4 before deciding how to respond of course. The general advice is NOT to appeal to the Private Parking Company as, for example, you may identify yourself as driver and in certain circumstances that could harm your defence at a later stage. However, after following a recent thread on this subject, I have come to the conclusion that, in the case of inputting an incorrect Vehicle Registration Number, which is covered by “de minimis” it may actually HARM your defence at a later stage if you have not appealed to the PPC at the first appeal stage and explained that you DID pay for parking and CAN provide proof of parking, it was just that an incorrect VRN was input in error. Now, we all know that the BPA Code of Practice are guidelines from one bunch of charlatans for another bunch of charlatans to follow, but my thoughts are that there could be problems in court if a judge decides that a motorist has not followed these guidelines and has not made an appeal at the first appeal stage, therefore attempting to resolve the situation before it reaches court. From BPA Code of Practice: Section 17:  Keying Errors B) Major Keying Errors Examples of a major keying error could include: • Motorist entered their spouse’s car registration • Motorist entered something completely unrelated to their registration • Motorist made multiple keying errors (beyond one character being entered incorrectly) • Motorist has only entered a small part of their VRM, for example the first three digits In these instances we would expect that such errors are dealt with appropriately at the first appeal stage, especially if it can be proven that the motorist has paid for the parking event or that the motorist attempted to enter their VRM or were a legitimate user of the car park (eg a hospital patient or a patron of a restaurant). It is appreciated that in issuing a PCN in these instances, the operator will have incurred charges including but not limited to the DVLA fee and other processing costs therefore we believe that it is reasonable to seek to recover some of these costs by making a modest charge to the motorist of no more than £20 for a 14-day period from when the keying error was identified before reverting to the charge amount at the point of appeal. Now, we know that the "modest charge" is unenforceable in law, however, it would be up to the individual if they wanted to pay and make the problem go away or in fact if they wanted to contest the issue in court. If the motorist DOES appeal to the PPC explaining the error and the PPC rejects the appeal and the appeal fails, the motorist can use that in his favour at court.   Defence: "I entered the wrong VRN by mistake Judge, I explained this and I also submitted proof of payment for the relevant parking period in my appeal but the PPC wouldn't accept that"   If the motorist DOES NOT appeal to the PPC in the first instance the judge may well use that as a reason to dismiss the case in the claimant's favour because they may decide that they had the opportunity to resolve the matter at a much earlier stage in the proceedings. It is my humble opinion that a motorist, having paid and having proof of payment but entering the wrong VRN, should make an appeal at the first appeal stage in order to prevent problems at a later stage. In this instance, I think there is nothing to be gained by concealing the identity of the driver, especially if at a later stage, perhaps in court, it is said: “I (the driver) entered the wrong VRN.” Whether you agree or not, it is up to the individual to decide …. but worth thinking about. Any feedback, especially if you can prove to the contrary, gratefully received.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Honeymoon upset - Hearing on 19/12/06 - **RESULT**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6335 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi. Booked a holiday with Teletext on line, with Medinland. When we phoned them after finding a holiday on line, we expressed a need for a double bedded room, as this would be our honeymoon. The guy said, yeah, no problem, will make sure you get double bed. So, on the strength of that, we paid for the holiday...get to Costa Brava to find that the hotel don't even have double beds, so despite our complaint to manager at hotel and subsequent phone call to Medinland, nothing could be done. We were none too pleased and it didnt go down too well, sleeping in separate beds on our honeymoon! I have tried to get compensation from them, but they just keep saying that a request such as double bed, top floor, sea view etc is just a request and cannot be guaranteed. They just won't listen when I say, but we wouldn't have booked that particular holiday had we been informed of the fact that no doubles were available in Spain....I feel I am going around in circles and need some advice on where to go now. I have faxed everything to ABTA, but I just feel they will come back with the same response.

:???:

Capital One - SETTLED IN FULL £670.00 - 27.07.06

:D

Halifax Bank - SETTLED IN FULL £307.00 - 04.08.06

:wink:

Medinland

Data Protection Act letter sent 20.06.06

Moneyclaim started 24.07.06 (£735)

Defence submitted 02.08.06

My response submitted 07.08.06

Their response submitted 10.08.06

Hearing date: 19.12.06 watch this space!

I WON!!!

:rolleyes:

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say that whilst I agree with you that ive never come across a double bed in Spanish resorts but that doesnt excuse the holiday company they should have told you your request couldnt be honoured.

I dont know if you have a case as such but sorry about what has happened to your honeymoon, I hope you still had a good time (did you push the beds together we've done that before whilst in Lanzarote).

Good luck with it

Hi, yeah, we pushed the beds together, but hung on for dear life as they slipped apart on the tiled floor! I haven't been away much, so wasn't aware that double beds weren't standard - and I did express that wish as part of a honeymoon - so they should have at least suggested an alternate country or hotel if they couldn't meet my stipulation, surely? Anyway - we're going to Turkey in September and this hotel DOES have doubles, it will be like a second honeymoon I guess.

Thanks for the interest - if anything comes of it, I will post to let you know.

Medinland

I WON!!!

No I agree with you if all the hotels have single beds then they should have told you and suggested another location, I hope you manage to get somewhere with it

Hi

I work as a personal Travel Advisor and can advise you that unless your confirmation actually confirms a "Double Bed" there isn't a lot you can do about it. Your confirmation may have said "Request Double" but this is not guaranteed.

As a rule when I'm booking honeymoon I ask the clients if it is a priority, if it is then I would only look at hotels with guaranteed double beds

Karen Brooks

Personal Travel Advisors

ABTA G1147

I disagree. If OP made a specific request for double bed and was told it could be done, the holiday was quite clearly mis-sold.

I would suggest making a SAR under the DPA, send £10, specifically requesting a copy of the phone conversation when you made the booking. I suggest you think what you want in terms of compensation: Refund, part-refund, what?

Then strongly worded letter to say that unless you get satisfactory response, you'll take them to small claims. As the deciding factor is balance of probabilities, a judge would have to decide whether on probability, you indeed made a request for a double bed for your honeymoon or not (whether you have copy of convo or not) and decide accordingly, should it get that far.

The terms & conditions of Medinland Ltd quite clearly state:

9 – SPECIAL REQUESTS

Special requests are not guaranteed, but we will always do our best to comply with any such requests, provided they are made well in advance of your date of departure.

By booking the holiday you would have agreed to these.

However, as you booked through Teletext, it is worth checking their policy too.

Having set up numerous tour operators and written t&c's, this is a standard condition.

If, as you say, you were told this wouldn't be a problem, you may wish to ask them for a transcript of the conversation. You may find that if the consultant who booked your holiday was found to have actually said it was confirmed, they MAY offer a gesture of goodwill.

Take another look at your invoice. Usually, tour ops will put requests on the invoice, followed by 'not guaranteed'.

Unfair term: If OP has booked on phone, she can not be aware of written T&Cs.

She paid on the strength of what the representative said, and he said he would ensure it was done. Therefore, the holiday was mis-sold.

IMO, there is a very good case for pushing it through, as previously outlined.

Hi. Booked a holiday with Teletext on line

I am only giving an opinion from someone who has been in tour operations for years and has had to produce evidence for defending such claims.

This is a very regular complaint, and yes may well have been mis-sold by the consultant over the phone, but you need evidence!

Thought it would help to give the other side of the argument so that 'kirky' is fully prepared.

My comments also stand. By booking you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.

That's ok, I'm also only giving an opinion.

And evidence would help, yes. That's why I suggested OP make a DPA request. If she can get a transcript of the phone call, and it corroborates her, it would be more than sufficient.

If she can't, as I said, in the Small Claims Court, a judge would decide on balance of probabilities.

Is it more probable that she asked for a double bed on her honeymoon and was told she would get it, than NOT asked for it?

Is it more probable that she asked for a double bed, was told it was not guaranteed, then proceeded to book anyway, than not?

That's what a judge will base his decision in a case where there is no actual proof one way or another.

As for Terms and conditions, I am DELIGHTED that they do not supersede the law of this land, or none of us would be able to get our money back from the banks. By booking over the phone, she can not have agreed to the written T&Cs, that would be an unfair term in law. It may be argued that when sent the written T&Cs, if she was, she might have read the T&Cs, and checked with T/O and subsequently cancelled (if she was indeed given the possibility to do so at no financial loss for herself), but there is a court decision (regarding Estoppel) that clearly ruled that it was not the customer's responsability to check his statements, and I'm pretty confident the same rule would apply in OP's case.

I'm not refuting your knowledge. But this site is about empowering the customer, and I'm pretty sure that there'll be plenty more cases where people who thought they had no chance against companies like this, will be able to reclaim the right. Their right. Damn right. ;)

The problem Bookworm is that people who work in an industry, and I'm pretty sure the travel industry is the same, are told by the powers that be that there are no grounds for compensation. The staff just do as they are told and never question what they are told. If it never goes to court it never really gets challenged. That's what the banks have done all this while. I think you are right as I cannot see how anyone booking over the phone could agree to written T&C's.

Kirky, I think Bookworm's advice is good and you should start by getting that DPA request in. I would be inclined to make a decision as to how to proceed after getting the DPA reply back because you will then know the strength of your evidence.

Keep us informed as I am keen to know how you get on. Good luck.

IMO, as a Travel consultant my-self, that you need to get the name of the consultant who booked the holiday for you. If you didn't take record of that, you can find out quite easily by calling the company up and asking them.

They will ask for booking references etc etc... The guy that booked your holiday then needs a serious talking to, because he cannot say that he will def. sort you a dble bed, when he knows fine well he cannot guarantee it! He at the very least needs to make you aware that it is a request, and they can never be guaranteed! Unfortunatley, its your word against his at this stage. But if you make your voice heard and talk to his superiors and demand that something be done (if only so it doesn't happen again to someone else).

I for one would never say something like that in order to 'get a booking', I have a good reputation with my clients and I like it to stay that way! Honesty gains respect in my book! Shame others aren't too concerned about what other people think of them! Not good business sense.

Hope you get this one sorted. Congratulations by the way! :wink:

Heidi

I am not a legal expert, any advice I give is based purley on experience or opinion.

Please tip the scales if you feel I have helped you!! :D

Hi everyone, thanks very much for all the advice and support. The invoice states "double bed needed" - not requested. It's a brilliant idea sending for the transcript of the booking - it will definitely prove I stated that we needed the double as it was our honeymoon and that no where during the conversation did the guy say it couldn't be guaranteed.

Will set about this and keep you informed. Sorry for the delay - been otherwise engaged with a dodgy new car! That's another thread I think...car only 3 months old and the brakes have failed - no accident or injury thank God, but I am, apparently, entitled to a full refund or replacement - I do not have to have it repaired...so I'm on the case tomorrow. This site has really given me the guts to go out there and do something about injustice! Thanks again

Medinland

I WON!!!

Hi folks

Done the DPA letter....will keep you posted

Medinland

I WON!!!

Best of luck with this.... as if you wouldn't require a double bed on your honeymoon sheesh...

The seperate beds come later ;)

Just the FAQ’s ma'am. Please read 'em thoroughly before jumping in. Cheers :)

Find all the letters under the rainbow here

Being a man, I am always right (however I will make no admission of liability if you have misinterpreted my instructions!! :) ) If you are in any doubt, then consult a professional. All opinions offered on this site are just that, and should not be taken as legal advice.

Halifax - £1400 reclaimed. Now on a crusade to help others!

Well maybe they thought you would only need space on the bed for one body it being the honeymoon n all ;)

lol

Ha ha! I see your point - but still!

Medinland

I WON!!!

We might get away with very little sleep if we were in our 20s, but he can't cope with such a huge demand at his age! Me, on the other hand....well...

...still, I asked for a double bed, I wanted one. Too bloody old to be doing acrobatics between singles! I nearly ended up on the floor several times - I should get compensation just for the humiliation!

Will post as soon as I get a response from them - they should have my letter by now.

:-D

Medinland

I WON!!!

I have a response from Medinland. They deny having recorded my conversation and have returned my cheque.

I have now decided to take this further and have put together a letter - before I post it, could someone please let me know if this is ok and that I have used the jargon in context?

"Thank you for your letter, dated 26th June 2006, received today and the return of my cheque for £10.00 which was to be payment for the Disclosure of Data. If, as you say you did not record my telephone conversation, then I must now take this to a court and let the judge decide – on a balance of probability - whether I did, indeed express a need to have a double bed whilst on my honeymoon. I think it is obvious from the fact that your representative put “double bed needed”, rather than “requested” on the invoice. Your representative clearly made promissory estoppel and while I understand you feel you are not liable in anyway because of your “Terms and Conditions”, I feel a judge would agree with me that terms and conditions do not supercede the Law in this country and when booking over a telephone, I cannot possibly read all of the terms and conditions, but have to rely on the honesty and integrity of your company.

May I remind you: Estoppel in English law is defined as: "a principle of justice and of equity. It comes to this: when a man, by his words or conduct, has led another to believe in a particular state of affairs, he will not be allowed to go back on it when it would be unjust or inequitable for him to do so." In other words, your company made a promise to me at the time of the contract and has since rescinded that promise, you therefore caused me to suffer loss and inconvenience, for which I must be compensated.

I intend to submit a claim in court if I have not heard from you with a satisfactory response within the next 14 days. “Satisfactory” would be a full refund, or an alternate holiday – with a double bed."

Please let me know - I'll post it tomorrow, but would like some advice on it's content!

Thanks

Medinland

I WON!!!

LOL... can't help with the legalisms but lovin the last bit :)

Just the FAQ’s ma'am. Please read 'em thoroughly before jumping in. Cheers :)

Find all the letters under the rainbow here

Being a man, I am always right (however I will make no admission of liability if you have misinterpreted my instructions!! :) ) If you are in any doubt, then consult a professional. All opinions offered on this site are just that, and should not be taken as legal advice.

Halifax - £1400 reclaimed. Now on a crusade to help others!

Very nice. Couple of points, though.

Once you have made a SAR, they can not just return your cheque and say "no can do". They have BY LAW to supply you ALL data held on you within 40 days. I would suggest you write back and tell them that it would not be wise to play fast and loose with the DPA, as the IC takes a dim view of such shenanigans, and that time is still ticking on your DPA reques, and that as at today's date, they have x days left to comply. Do NOT let them get away with this!

Secondly, don't forget to mention that it is highly unreasonable to be held by written T&Cs when you book over the phone, and that you have no choice but to trust what their own employee states when booking that way, it creates a fiduciary relationship betwen the agency and yourself, and they have breached that relationship. Try to incorporate that into your letter.

Otherwise, very nice. I wouldn't have thought about Estoppel in that context, but you seem to know what you're on about. I bow to your greater knowledge! :D

Hi Bookworm

Thanks for that - of course you're right and I will develop another letter to send today and send my cheque back to them demanding all data held on me. As for the estoppel - you suggested it in your earlier post and I had to look it up to find out what it was - that's why I needed some advice on how I had used it. BUT! If you think it sounds good, then I must have done a good bit of research and it will surely disturb Ms Louise Smith when she reads her reply!

I'll get on to it now and keep the forum posted about the result.

Thanks again:)

Medinland

I WON!!!

Didn't a great man once say there was a fine line between genius and insanity?

Either way, you're a source of infinite wisdom - thank you!

Medinland

I WON!!!