• Tweets

• Our picks

• Hermes lost parcel.. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422615-hermes-lost-parcel/
      • 49 replies
    • Oven repair. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/427690-oven-repair/&do=findComment&comment=5073391
      • 49 replies
    • I came across this discussion recently and just wanted to give my experience of A Shade Greener that may help others regarding their boiler finance agreement.

We had a 10yr  finance contract for a boiler fitted July 2015.

After a summer of discontent with ASG I discovered that if you have paid HALF the agreement or more you can legally return the boiler to them at no cost to yourself. I've just returned mine the feeling is liberating.

It all started mid summer during lockdown when they refused to service our boiler because we didn't have a loft ladder or flooring installed despite the fact AS installed the boiler. and had previosuly serviced it without issue for 4yrs. After consulting with an independent installer I was informed that if this was the case then ASG had breached building regulations,  this was duly reported to Gas Safe to investigate and even then ASG refused to accept blame and repeatedly said it was my problem. Anyway Gas Safe found them in breach of building regs and a compromise was reached.

A month later and ASG attended to service our boiler but in the process left the boiler unusuable as it kept losing pressure not to mention they had damaged the filling loop in the process which they said was my responsibilty not theres and would charge me to repair, so generous of them! Soon after reporting the fault I got a letter stating it was time we arranged a powerflush on our heating system which they make you do after 5 years even though there's nothing in the contract that states this. Coincidence?

After a few heated exchanges with ASG (pardon the pun) I decided to pull the plug and cancel our agreement.

The boiler was removed and replaced by a reputable installer,  and the old boiler was returned to ASG thus ending our contract with them. What's mad is I saved in excess of £1000 in the long run and got a new boiler with a brand new 12yr warranty. 

You only have to look at TrustPilot to get an idea of what this company is like.

• Thanks
      • 3 replies
    • Dazza a few months ago I discovered a good friend of mine who had ten debts with cards and catalogues which he was slavishly paying off at detriment to his own family quality of life, and I mean hardship, not just absence of second holidays or flat screen TV's.

I wrote to all his creditors asking for supporting documents and not one could provide any material that would allow them to enforce the debt.

As a result he stopped paying and they have been unable to do anything, one even admitted it was unenforceable.

If circumstances have got to the point where you are finding it unmanageable you must ask yourself why you feel the need to pay.  I guarantee you that these companies have built bad debt into their business model and no one over there is losing any sleep over your debt to them!  They will see you as a victim and cash cow and they will be reluctant to discuss final offers, only ways to keep you paying with threats of court action or seizing your assets if you have any.

They are not your friends and you owe them no loyalty or moral duty, that must remain only for yourself and your family.

If it was me I would send them all a CCA request.   I would bet that not one will provide the correct response and you can quite legally stop paying them until such time as they do provide a response.   Even when they do you should check back here as they mostly send dodgy photo copies or generic rubbish that has no connection with your supposed debt.

The money you are paying them should, as far as you are able, be put to a savings account for yourself and as a means of paying of one of these fleecers should they ever manage to get to to the point of a successful court judgement.  After six years they will not be able to start court action and that money will then become yours.

They will of course pursue you for the funds and pass your file around various departments of their business and out to third parties.

Your response is that you should treat it as a hobby.  I have numerous files of correspondence each faithfully organised showing the various letters from different DCA;s , solicitors etc with a mix of threats, inducements and offers.   It is like my stamp collection and I show it to anyone who is interested!
        • Thanks

Civil Enforcement Ltd (again!)

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3474 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

They can decide to hold Gordon Brown 'responsible' if they so wish.

Yes, but if they did, they are more likely to be right that he is responsible. He generally is! :D

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have just had my lates letter, it says I am going to have a home visit for a, collection of debt. b, to check my home situation ready for court.

This letter comes from Charles Howard and Partners and gives me 72 hours notice.

As above.

Even if they do come calling they have no more powers beyond knocking on your door. They have no powers of entry and no right to seize goods.

If they knock you don't have to answer. If you choose to answer then you can ask them to leave and close the door in their face. Call the police if they refuse. At that point they are guilty of anti-social behavior and trespass. Take video footage if you can.

This is all supposition I don't recall a case where these reported here where these people have actually fronted up and knocked on someone's door. Basically it's another attempt to intimidate you into paying.

Stand your ground.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This does not constitute legal advice and is not represented as a substitute for legal advice from an appropriately qualified person or firm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Help! My brother got a letter from the company dealing with parking charges at McDonalds, near to petrol station at Gatwick airport.

He apparently used their carpark twice within the 120min "no-return" time frame. Both times as a McDonalds customer (i.e not using it as a carpark!). They have pictures of his car entering the carpark - both times!

He did not know of, nor notice the sign. They want £100 (or £50 within a timeframe; now passed).

My brother is abroad and I am dealing with his mail.

Help! What should I do?

Help! My brother got a letter from the company dealing with parking charges at McDonalds, near to petrol station at Gatwick airport.

He apparently used their carpark twice within the 120min "no-return" time frame. Both times as a McDonalds customer (i.e not using it as a carpark!). They have pictures of his car entering the carpark - both times!

He did not know of, nor notice the sign. They want £100 (or £50 within a timeframe; now passed).

Help! What should I do?

Ignore. Its just another [problem]. PPC's working for McDonalds are well known on here for doing this to many posters. The photographs are meaningless. Be prepared for a few letters threatening nonsense though! BTW whos the PPC?

Edited by DDWales
spelling

If you believe that this post has helped in any way please click on the star to the left

DDWales Vs Barclaycard-*Won* http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/barclaycard/174860-ddwales-barclaycard.html

DDWales Vs Natwest-*Won*

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/natwest-successes/210090-ddwales-natwest.html

-Reclaim the Right-

Help! What should I do?

Ignore.

DO NOT contact the PPC either by phone or post.

Do not bother your brother with this nonsense.

regards

Please remember our troops, fighting and dying in our name. God protect them.

• 2 weeks later...

I was shocked to receive a Parking Contravention Enforcement notice from Civil Enforcement after my vehicle was used and parked in a "free" car park at night. A daytime check shows a sign stating that by staying longer than 2 hours (the time they said was just a short period over) "... agree to pay £nn, reduced to £nn if paid in 14 days...". They state they have photographic evidence of this "incident". It is not a Pay & Display car park but looking at the surroundings, appears to "belong" to a supermarket and not a general car park. I have been informed that there have been no previous problems parking at this location for longer evening durations so it was quite a nasty surprise for me, the vehicle owner, to receive the demand (now known as an invoice, I see :) ).

There was no sign on the entrance but smallish ones in the car park (during the daytime) which did not appear to be permanent. Had this been obvious, there is no way anyone would ever "agree" to those parking charges and at night, this would be even more difficult to see. In the daytime, cameras were seen to be aimed at the entrance and the exit.

Even after reading through all the posts, I'm still unsure what to do: I could:-

(1) Just pay up and forget it (the principle of having agreed to something unknowingly does not sit comfortable with me though)

(2) Use TicketShield service which is supposed to deal with all the correspondences at a cost lower than the £45

(3) Draft letters using the templates referred to and act accordingly (though not seen a complete case documented on here)

(4) Ignore all correspondence (as some say to do)

Any help is gladly received

Edited by cabbagebike
Removal of possible identifying details of the incident
Even after reading through all the posts, I'm still unsure what to do: I could:-

(1) Just pay up and forget it (the principle of having agreed to something unknowingly does not sit comfortable with me though)

Don't pay them....they'll get over-excited!

(2) Use TicketShield service which is supposed to deal with all the correspondences at a cost lower than the £45

Why pay someone else to do what you can do yourself.....for nothing?

(3) Draft letters using the templates referred to and act accordingly (though not seen a complete case documented on here)

You won't see a complete case documented....they give up chasing it, after a while.

Eventually they'll go and pester someone else.

There's your choices. :D

Regards, Rooster.

• Haha 1

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

Option 4 for me please. :)

I also noticed in the daytime the cameras aimed at the side-by-side entrance & exit.

Just had a thought, has anyone tried entering one of these carparks by reversing into the exit gate or reversing out of the entrance? Might screw up their ANPR time system something rotten, or at the very least completely confuse the operative trying to decypher the photos, as I am sure he isn't doing this job on a break between his brain surgery ops! :D

So...

Don't pay them....they'll get over-excited!

----> That's what I want to hear, ideally :)

Why pay someone else to do what you can do yourself.....for nothing?

----> This removes all the worry, hassle & possiblility that I mess up (for a cost)

You won't see a complete case documented....they give up chasing it, after a while.

Eventually they'll go and pester someone else.

----> ... I'm still unsure whether it would be better to do (3) or (4) if doing this on my own (and the help from here :))

I've never had to deal with this sort of thing before so please bear with me. Thank you for responding so quickly.

If you do option 3, you are more likely to receive more quantity, and more threatening letters from them. They will assume you are likely to crack and therefore put you high on their list to pursue.

Option 4 is a better less stressful way to go.

• Haha 1

Thank you once again for your advice. It does appear the "do nothing" approach is quite popular and which I'll do.

I'm assuming after 28 days of them receiving nothing, they will send another letter saying it's been passed over to a debt recovery agency. I guess that they themselves will send a letter/demand and then pay a visit if that's not settled, hence the "additional costs".

I've read on this thread that the total demanded can be over £200 which is something I can not afford due to my current circumstances should this ever get any further (i.e. court). But it does seem that none have got that far. I just hope I'm not the first! :)

With me, I think, it's the "not doing anything" rather than "doing something" that I'm not really used to in dealing with it. Mind you, I'm not used to dealing with being a victim of things like this. Any reassurance is good to hear. Thank you all once again.

I will keep checking back here and update.

I've read on this thread that the total demanded can be over £200 which is something I can not afford due to my current circumstances should this ever get any further (i.e. court). But it does seem that none have got that far. I just hope I'm not the first! :)

*If* it ever did get to court, they can only ask for their damages due to the breach of contract. At best they may get the original invoice value. The court will not uphold their many "add on" costs that they simply make up as they go along.

I'm assuming after 28 days of them receiving nothing, they will send another letter saying it's been passed over to a debt recovery agency. I guess that they themselves will send a letter/demand and then pay a visit if that's not settled, hence the "additional costs".

No one will pay you a visit it is just another pointless threat to try and scare you into paying.

Crem is correct in his/her response to this point.

With me, I think, it's the "not doing anything" rather than "doing something" that I'm not really used to in dealing with it. Mind you, I'm not used to dealing with being a victim of things like this. Any reassurance is good to hear.

I have ignored shed loads of these [problem] invoices without any problems over two years.

I will keep checking back here and update.

regards

• Haha 1

Please remember our troops, fighting and dying in our name. God protect them.

Thank you for the additional reassurance you have all given me. It does make a difference when you feel like you're not on your own in things like this.

Like I said, I'll keep posting updates.

Thank you very much once again for all your advice :)

glad you have picked up the vibe. its easy when you know how - and how laughable PPC paperwork can be. Can be scary when you don't know though. Spread the word !

Thank you for the additional reassurance you have all given me. It does make a difference when you feel like you're not on your own in things like this.

Like I said, I'll keep posting updates.

Thank you very much once again for all your advice :)

Just in case you are in further doubt - you also have my support - I too have dealt with PPC's and can confirm that they just spout a load of unenforceable, unlawful hot air. Stay strong my friend you have nothing to worry about.

All the best,

TFT

09/07/09 :)Business Studies BA(Hons) 2:1:)

eCar Insurance overpayment - £325

Settled in full - 15/09/08

NatWest Student A/C bank charges - £260

Settled under hardship scheme - 08/06/09

Natwest Business A/C bank charges - £60

Settled in full as GOGW - 20/04/09

Santander Consumer Finance late payment fees - £60

Part settled for £48 - 01/03/08

Peugeot Finance late payment fees - £50

Settled in full before county court hearing - 01/09/09

Peugeot Finance overpayment of £247

Settled in full - 01/12/08

Valley Leisure - complaint about collections agent

£160 part refund of gym membership in compensation - 01/02/09

HFC Bank - complaint about payment deducted from my account on wrong date

GOGW £10 - 01/05/09

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, Just had a thought.

Having had some dealings with Civil Prosecutions.

Is it correct that Informations have to be laid within 6 months of the date of the alleged offence.

i.e if an alleged parking charge was committed on say 1st January then any court action must be laid by 1st July of the same year?

So, if this is correct. Would this help allay fear people have further action?

I am not in the legal profession, so would this help?

Hello, Just had a thought.

Having had some dealings with Civil Prosecutions.

Is it correct that Informations have to be laid within 6 months of the date of the alleged offence.

i.e if an alleged parking charge was committed on say 1st January then any court action must be laid by 1st July of the same year?

So, if this is correct. Would this help allay fear people have further action?

I am not in the legal profession, so would this help?

No, wrong end of the stick.

Summary criminal prosecutions require that information be laid before a Court within 6 months of the offence for a summons to be issued.

Civil matters have a different time scale - 6 years

Hi I've just received a Parking Contravention Enforcement Notice from guess who. (Enforcement notice posted in London, but apparently they are based in Liverpool?). It says that the vehicle breached the limited free stay allowance as stated on the signage (Co-op car park in Houghton).

Can i just clarify what I should do:-

Firstly, ignore this piece of junk as it didn't come by registered post they have no way of knowing that it was actually delivered.

Secondly, if I get a letter from them should I a) respond using the I'm the registered keeper contact the driver letter - or b) should I continue to ignore them?

Not having any experience of this before, any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. looking at it the pages and pages of posts it appears some have gone down one route and some the other. I was wondering how successful each has been?

Hello Springwell and welcome

My personal approach is to ignore ignore ignore. You are correct, you have been sent nothing more than junk. I will caution that it is my experience that those who do respond are the ones that are most likely to be taken to court. The trouble is that by responding the PPC will think that you are waivering and will further harrass you.

TFT

09/07/09 :)Business Studies BA(Hons) 2:1:)

eCar Insurance overpayment - £325

Settled in full - 15/09/08

NatWest Student A/C bank charges - £260

Settled under hardship scheme - 08/06/09

Natwest Business A/C bank charges - £60

Settled in full as GOGW - 20/04/09

Santander Consumer Finance late payment fees - £60

Part settled for £48 - 01/03/08

Peugeot Finance late payment fees - £50

Settled in full before county court hearing - 01/09/09

Peugeot Finance overpayment of £247

Settled in full - 01/12/08

Valley Leisure - complaint about collections agent

£160 part refund of gym membership in compensation - 01/02/09

HFC Bank - complaint about payment deducted from my account on wrong date

GOGW £10 - 01/05/09

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3474 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you