Debit Card Charges - Legal peeps help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5216 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am more than positive that this is wrong if not illegal, thoughts please - Mods please dont move, as it also is relevant to DCA's

I can confirm that we charge 3% on all Council Tax debts, and 3.5% on Road Traffic offences. I assmume the debtor is quoting 3.5% from the reverse of the arrangement acceptance letter dated 3rd March. This letter states 3.5 because that is the maximum we charge as a Company, however on all XXXX files it is 3% and that is what we charged the debtor on 23rd March when payment was made. I have made an ammendement today to our "arrangement acceptance" letters so it now specifies 3% on Council Tax debts.

The Office of Fair Trading cannot comment on bank charges (yeah right!!) we have to pay bank charges. We have alot of chargebacks which increase the level of admin costs, we beleive this to be fair and know for a fact that our commision charges on the low side for the bailiff industry. The Commision is not solely based on Bank Charges, we also take into consideration the administration cost for the call centre to deal with the call & process the payment, also the technology we use to process the payment. THe administration costs are greater to process a Card Payment, as apposed to our cashiers banking a cheque or postal order.

Hi Saffronflowers ,

Having been a call centre team manager (not DCA *shudders*) which included processing card payments, I can confirm that's it's much quicker, much more cost effetive etc. to process a debit card payment. (Credit cards are more exspensive to process thus do incurr a charge to the customer).:)

Every business gets charged by thier own bank to process any payment whether it's card or cheque (not sure how they do the POs as I've never dealt with them). (Wonder if an employee nips to the PO once a week, cashes them all and then banks the cash :confused:).

Most reputable centre's gladly accept payment in this way (and don't charge for the service) as they know it's better for them and thier customers ;)

Hope this helps, best wishes and good luck,

BB

"To love unconditionally is the greatest gift, laughter is a close second" .To give your time to help others after being helped here is the best way to show your appreciation to your fellow CAG members.

Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Seek the advice of an insured qualified professional if you have any doubts. All my knowledge has been gained here, for which I'm very grateful. I'm a Journalist, not a law professional.

If you do PM, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private ;)

BB 13 - DCAs/banks and solicitors 0.

I get a fresh start to get on with learning to live with severe disabilities when they could have had something if they'd been understanding...

<--- If you feel I've helped, please twinkle my star :)