• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Camdenite Vs. Providian/Monument "WON"

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5984 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hope I'm on the right thread here? Barclaycard took over Monument, I beleive?

I have had a complete nightmare getting the Monument offices to comply with my SAR. The 40 days was up about two weeks ago. I was told over the phone the list of charges would be "with me shortly" on two separate occaisions. I sent the template letter stating that they had 10 days to comply, but have had no response and when I phoned on Saturday was told that they couldn't find my list of charges due to computer data problems caused by the takeover of a US bank they've just gone through!

A complete pile of stinking......., methinks.

Has anyone else had the same problems with them and how did they go about sorting it out? I know reporting them to the FO is probably the only option, but even they seem to take at least a month to look into things.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did they give you a timescale for when they expect the "data problems" to be resolved? You can file in court for non compliance but from what I've read you really need to have exhausted all avenues i.e Information commisioners office, Ombudsmen. The "data problem" could give them wriggle room in court so get it cleared up and complain to all and sundry first!

Barclays - 2 Accounts - WON

Capital 1 - WON with CI

LTSB - WON

LTSB pre 6 years - N1 for non compliance filed

Barclays pre 6 years - Prelim sent

Thanks for the response jshtr3. They couldn't give me a time frame for sorting out their computer problems. Basically they couldn't locate my details anymore although they acknowledged they had already been working on it and were aware that they had twice told me over the phone that the list of charges would be sent to me shortly.

It's along since closed account (Jan '02> Autumn '03).At least they are not denying it existed and that they received my SAR, I suppose.

I'll give them another call tomorrow. Does anyone have any contacts in their Legal Dept.?

No luck whatsoever on the phone today. None of the staff seem to know what a SAR actually is or even be aware of the concept!

All I got was that they could no longer find my details and they may have been migrated to another computer system.

Anyone know how I get in touch with Monument's legal team directly?

sorry to bump, but am just in a foul mood after being given the runnaround for over an hour on the phone. They are never going to give me the info are they?

If it wasn't for the website Sat No To 0870, I would be looking at losing about £30 on calls to them so far!

• 2 weeks later...
sorry to bump, but am just in a foul mood after being given the runnaround for over an hour on the phone. They are never going to give me the info are they?

If it wasn't for the website Sat No To 0870, I would be looking at losing about £30 on calls to them so far!

If they are in breach of the CCA/SAR request you have requested you can report it to the ICO (Information Commissioner Office) or issue an N1 claim against them asking for the paperwork - you'd be asking court to order them to comply etc..

It would be in your interest to wait until you have the statements - as frustrating as it maybe.

Give them a call and tell them you have your N1 sitting waiting to be filed as they are in breach of the data protection act.

I did this with Barclaycard and it seems to have woke them up - not got my statements yet, but filing N1 today.

Good luck and don't give in.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Moneyhelp & Elizabeth1. It's another fortnight and still they have done nothing despite letters and phonecalls. I've had plenty to be getting on with on my other claims so have let it run a little.

Can you give me some advice on filing a N1 for non-compliance of S.A.R - (Subject Access Request)? I've done it for actual sums but how do I refer to the breach on the form?

Hi Moneyhelp & Elizabeth1. It's another fortnight and still they have done nothing despite letters and phonecalls. I've had plenty to be getting on with on my other claims so have let it run a little.

Can you give me some advice on filing a N1 for non-compliance of S.A.R - (Subject Access Request)? I've done it for actual sums but how do I refer to the breach on the form?

All the info you need for the Non Compliance claim is here in this Link

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/6971-data-protection-act-non.html

Hello

I am exactly in the same position as you could you please supply me with their phone number as I will start on at them as well.

I complained to information commissioner but they still havent done anything.

I had started another thread asking what happens if they physically cannot provide the information to us?

Do we estimate charges and start a claim this way?

There is another thread somewhere on here who actually took them to court to get the info but they could not provide it - I will try to find it and post the link.

Anyhelp from anybody would really help, I know this this is probably unchartered territory but please dig deep!!

Thank you kiri260180

The Best Person dealing with Providian is Caroline MacLean on 01293 802626 or try 01293 802460 for Paul Wilson.

Although helpful, they will not promise anything other than the fact they expect it to be soon.

I am sensing a deliberate tactic to delay any claims until after the Yorkshire/Clydesdale disclosures on the 28th September.

It's to do with the Hull cases that we're struck out previously. Basically, Yorkshire Bank & Clydesdale Bank have agreed to a hearing on the 28th September in which they have agreed to disclose their actual cost of bouncing a cheque or clearing payments in order for some sort of legal standpoint to be established.

There is a thread on the front page of this CAG site if you want to have a look in detail.

Let us know how you get on with Caroline & Paul a Providian.

That does not sound too good.

I will get onto them - I am thinking though as there is not penalty for them not too provide it we are fighting a loosing battle especially if they are waiting I dont think that they have anything too loose.

There is nothing to threaten them with either apart from turning up on their doorstep. It is not too far away from me and I am thinking now that is quite a good idea!!

I will look into it. kiri260180

I called Ms mclean and no answer and no chance of leaving a message so called Monument customer service who gave me runaround did get Ms Mclean's e-mail address though so I have written her a long and stinging e-mail. I will see where this gets me and I will let everybody know my progress.

If I dont hear back from her with my statements in 7 days I am going to start a claim on estimated charges as they cant provide my statements they will have to prove otherwise and I will see what happens, I dont think I had a huge amount about £200 or so but I am going to chargev thenm £12 for every month of statements that they cant provide and I will see what happens if I loose I loose I hae not lost out on much but if I win I get more than I would have been claiming.

Will keep you all posted. kiri260180

Hi Kiri

Take a look at my thread for some numbers and email addresses ;)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/barclaycard/89294-moneyhelp-barclaycard.html

Hi Moneyhelp.

Thanks for the thread, but it's Providian cards that are proving to be a problem. Providian was taken over by Monument, who in turn we're taken over by Barclaycard..... . Barclaycard don't have the records and refer us to this office no' that has reputedly taken over the old Providian cards.

I think it's just Kiri & me who are having a mare with them. Caroline MacLean is their para-legal and seems to be the only one there who even understand the concept.

Could you pm one of the mods see if any of them have any expercience with them?

I am not 100% sure but I think that Providian was owned by Barclays before as the place where you have to pay in too is Barclays Bank I have 1 statement and on there it definately has Barclays on the paying in slip.

Anyway Barclays have been awful to deal with as well and I had a real fight with them to get my statements and they are also forcing me into taking them to court.

They were not this bad though. I will see what I get back from letter as I say they have 7 days and then I will see where I go from there.

kiri260180

Hi

It is down to Monument to provide statements not Providian.

Providian sold to Monument In 2003 ,both were licenced under Barclays Bank plc

Barclays transfered all its rights under Monument to stepto & son sorry Raphael & sons on 02/07/07, but as Monument have said no changes are being made at this time then its down to them

I sent my S.A.R. on 06/05/07 received statements on 08/07/07 ,had all the same bla, bla Providian bla, bla Barclays ,but I got them in the end

try talking to Naomi Wort she sent me all my info. good luck

Thanks all. I'll try the Naomi Wort route although previous dialogue with Barclaycard has ended up with me being passed on to Caroline MacLean. Amongst the many excuses I've had was a "take-over by a U.S. bank" Does anyone know what they might be reffering to?

My SAR was on the 24th April so you can imagine the frustration. It's only likely to be a couple of hundred quid at most, but this company have driven me up the wall.