Refund payment Advice

seeward
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6148 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello to all. This is my first post & it's after a successful claim against the Natwest (£4167.30). Offer letter arived 9/6/07.

Need advice though. Can i request that they send a cheque for the amount? My account is closed and i am paying outstanding amounts to a debt collection agency.

Any thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

At what point in the process did they make the offer. In particular do you still have an ongoing court case against them?

If you still owe THEM money then I think they are within their rights to offset the payment of your debt. However, if you still have a court case, then I think you can always refuse to stop it until they send you a cheque.

Anyone else like to comment?

Steven

If this post is helpful, please click the scales

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability.

Almost everything I know concerning the law I learned from this site.

The point at which the offer was made is before the court case. I have e-mailed customer relations with a request for a cheque. All i can do is wait for the reply.

No mention of my outstanding debt with them is mentioned in their letter.

:eek: Be very carefull in asking for a cheque as i have read before that they will issue a cheque and enter the account number it HAS to be paid in so they will get the money back still!! Personally i would esculate it through court and then when natwest wanna play you have more of a choice in how you want paying!!!

You say your account is closed....Are you repaying through the collections centre...because it is my understanding that the money is credited to your account....closed or not..

Any money owed will be deducted and cleared,the balance being credited to you.You then have to contact the collections centre to arrange payment.

Rang Natwest today to clarify position. They confirmed that the settlement figure can only be deposited into my account. Account is still open, pending clearing of outstanding amount.

As much as i want to clear the debt, i am loathe to give the Natwest money back after all the heartrache they've caused in the first place.

Any advice? Court and 8% or bite the bullet and clear my debt? :-x

Realistically, if they've offered you a full refund of charges and you haven't already filed at court - you should accept the offer. However, others would disagree with me and say go for the 8% (and the cheque payment!) as well. But at least if you accept at this stage, your debt will be cleared and you won't be beholden to nutty west in any way. Hope this helps - good luck mate, hedgey xxx

Can't find what you're looking for? Please have a look at Michael Browne's

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

I do not answer queries via PM. If you send me a PM, please include a link to your thread - any advice I am able to offer will be on your thread.

Cheers Hedgey. I'm going to see if anyone advises otherwise. Ponder the choices and go from there. I've got a good idea of what action to take but my heads full at the min. T**t West are in there somewhere!!!!!

Hedgey has basically laid out the options:

1) take the money

2) take them to court for the 8% and to make them give you a cheque

Unfortunately, you have to choose. Either way, we're right wyth you

Steven

Almost everything I know concerning the law I learned from this site

• Haha 1

Nice one steven. I know mate that the options are as laid out. I'll ponder over them for the next 24 hours and keep you all informed. Top advice all round from this forum. Helping to keep me sane!!!!

Hi im in the same situation as you and have decided to accept there offer even though they will take out my debt to them first, have spoken to them and been told that after the money has gone into the account if i contact there credit management service i can request the account to be closed and the balance will be sent to me by cheque. Hope this clears up any queries you my have, i felt that it was in my best interest to clear my debt with them and then get the account closed so i did not have to deal with them anymore.

HOPE THIS HELPS MEDICMAN

The account managed by the debt agency can be settled first if you can get your hands on the cash elsewhere (beg or borrow!). You will normally get a settlement figure from the debt agency for clearing the debt which will be below the whole amount. After this has cleared and all standing orders/direct debits are cancelled, the account will be closed by the agency. Then natwest won't be able to offset the money by paying into this account, and will have to send you a cheque unless they open a new account for you. Maybe worth a try if you could stretch to it.

Hi seeward

i am in exactly the same position as you but i scrolled through the posts prior to going on hol 2 wks ago & sent a private msg to someone who had received a cheque refund even though they had a current account with credit management services.

They told me that they contacted the financial ombudsman and the ombudsman said that as there had been a formal arrangement set up in relation to the defaulted current a/c and as the payments were up to date that the default had been dealt with and arrangement accepted by nat west thus meaning that the claim for bank charges was a seperate issue and therefore should not be linked with the defaulted account and as a result of this nat west issued a CHEQUE as opposed to paying into the defaulted account.

I am going to ring the financial ombudsman on Monday then contact Nat West.

I thought by sharing this with you it could give you another avenue to explore. i will keep everyone posted as to my success or failure in this method !!!

regards

stl

Sorry to take space on your thread!! but if i havent made any payments since 04/05 could i then on monday say set up a payment plan for 6 months and then get my hands on the lolly that way???or should i just allow the money to off set all my o/draft and loan?? As my total debt is aprox £9K current a/c and £22K loan but my claim will be £9.5k a/c and £12k loan total £22k aprox!!! Is this a feasable option and should i therefore sort one at a time eg sort out account and on the basis of that gettin sorted then go for loan??

Update time.

Spoke to family & close friends about the situation, and after getting such sterling advice from this Forum, have decided to take the matter to the next stage. Will keep you informed about the outcome.

Thanks again for the support. Speak soon.

:shock:

Thanks for the update seeward and we're right with you

Steven

Steven,

What is the 'Schedule' refered to on the N1 claims form?

Is it just the braek down of the charges & interest?

Yes, it's jsut what you have already sent to the bank

Steven

Cheers Steven. Just A Tad Unsure Of The Term. Just A Breakdown/split Between The Charges & The Interest Claimed.

Nice One. I'm Going To Get Some Tea And Then Sort Out The Rest Of This With A Full Stomach.

Much Appreciated Mate.

Seeward

Update & Advice time

I've decided to reject the T**t West offer and proceed with the claim, to include the interest charges owed & the additional 8%. I've already emailed them with regards to the settlement amount being issued in the form of a cheque & the response, after waiting a week, was the most patronising page full of bile i have ever read!

Question: Do i send the LBA letter now, or do i proceed with the County Court Claim?

Help, my heads that full it may just burst!!!!

San, bite that bullet!!! it's what exactly what i'm about to do!!!

Scrap that last post folks!!

I've checked back and i've given them until today (20/06/07) to resolve the matter and then it's Court time.

If i've got the process wrong, please advise. If not, i'm off to sort it out tomorrow.

Keep the faith & however much you sweat, you can always change your clothes....

I've checked back and i've given them until today (20/06/07) to resolve the matter and then it's Court time.
If that's what you told them, then that's what you do

Steven

• Haha 1

Update & Advice time

I've decided to reject the T**t West offer and proceed with the claim, to include the interest charges owed & the additional 8%. I've already emailed them with regards to the settlement amount being issued in the form of a cheque & the response, after waiting a week, was the most patronising page full of bile i have ever read!

Question: Do i send the LBA letter now, or do i proceed with the County Court Claim?

Help, my heads that full it may just burst!!!!

San, bite that bullet!!! it's what exactly what i'm about to do!!!

san 142 here

do I phone and reject the offer or write ? Do they ask for a reason now or wait till they have received court papers ? I have given natwest more than enough time to get an offer to me and they fobbed me off twice .