Virgin Media calling my mate about my bill!

bp

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3787 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, i'm absolutely fuming! It wasn't so bad the 1st time but 2nd time its just got too much. I do acknowledge that i am behind on my bill, i've sent the payment in so it should all be sorted soon, the problem is that Virgin media are calling my mate about my acc. The first time she answered and they asked for me when my mate said i wasn't there and could she take a message, she found it difficult for them to admit that they were virgin at which point my mate said in that case, unless they identified themselves, there'd be no way of her being able to pass me the message.

Virgin called her again yesterday and this time they left a message on her answer machine with my account no, said it was to do with the arrears and that it was very important i contact them. I am Really cheesed off! they have my phone no, i have an answer machine so there is no reason why they should be calling my mate just cause she is also a virgin customer. When i gave her details, it was when i 1st joined NTL and it was for a voucher which she would get because she had recommended me and i'd signed up. In no did i ever agreed for them to contact her under any circumstances! Before i contact them, can someone please point me in the right direction as to which rule they have broken cause i'm sure they are not allowed to just call peoples' friends.

Thanks in advance.

if im wrong some body will shoot me down

i think they have broken the data protection act m8

ask your freind for that tape it might come in handy

Virginmedia can only call the telephone/mobile number you have supplied to them. If you have given Virginmedia your mate's number or your mate is answering your telephone calls on your behalf, it is not unreasonable for them to believe they are speaking with you, the account holder.

Even if bp's friend did answer the phone Virgin are in breach of the data protection act (don't know which section) if they discuss the account with anyone other than the account holder. Further to do that they have to verify who they are speaking to and should ask for a password that is logged with the account. No way should they leave messages of a private and confidential nature on a answerphone whether it be the account holder's or not and especially not another person's telephone answering machine. The only way they can speak to another person is if the account holder has given express permission and this will be logged somewhere on Virgin's data or if bp has written in giving permission.

They just can not do things like that without the permission of the account holder.

• 3 years later...

if your gave her number on signing up they might have put it down as a home number, they always contact this number before the number they service. and they can speak to third parties but only if they can confirm the password on your account. if they believed they were calling to your address then its reasonable for them to leave you a message getting you to contact them. the best thing to do is give them a ring and see what contact numbers they have for you, they will happily change any numbers that arent yours as due to data protection your information has to be kept up to date

edit: just saw how old this post is.... i just wasted my time lol

thread_necromancer.png

lol :p

As the discussed the fact that she was in arrears, I'd say defo a breach in the DPA

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar