• Tweets

• The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The firm has benefited from the AI boom, making it the third-most valuable company in the US.View the full article
    • Former billionaire Hui Ka Yan has been fined and banned from the financial market for life.View the full article
    • In terms of "why didn't I make a claim" - well, that has to be understood in the context of the long-standing legal battle and all its permuations with the shark. In essence there was a repo and probable fire sale of the leasehold property - which would have led to me initiating the complaint/ claim v SPF in summer 19. But there was no quick sale. And battle commenced and it ain't done yet 5y later. A potential sale morphed into trying to do a debt deal and then into a full blown battle heading to trial - based on the shark deliberately racking up costs just so the ceo can keep the property for himself.  Along the way they have launched claims in 4 different counties -v- me - trying to get a backdoor B. (Haven't yet succeeded) Simultaneously I got dragged into a contentious forfeiture claim and then into a lease extension debacle - both of which lasted 3y. (I have an association with the freeholders and handled all that legal stuff too) I had some (friend paid for) legal support to begin with.  But mostly I have handled every thing alone.  The sheer weight of all the different cases has been pretty overwhelming. And tedious.  I'm battling an aggressive financial shark that has investors giving them 00s of millions. They've employed teams of expensive lawyers and barristers. And also got juniors doing the boring menial tasks. And, of course, in text book style they've delayed issues on purpose and then sent 000's of docs to read at the 11th hour. Which I not only boringly did read,  but also simultaneously filed for ease of reference later - which has come in very handy in speeding up collating legal bundles and being able to find evidence quickly.  It's also how I found out the damning stuff I could use -v- them.  Bottom line - I haven't really had a moment to breath for 5y. I've had to write a statement recently. And asked a clinic for advice. One of the volunteers asked how I got into this situation.  Which prompted me to say it all started when I got bad advice from a broker. Which kick-started me in to thinking I really should look into making some kind of formal complaint -v- the broker.  Which is where I am now.  Extenuating circumstances as to why I'm complaining so late.  But hopefully still in time ??  
    • At a key lecture in the City of London, the shadow chancellor will also vow to reform the Treasury.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Hello All ** WON IN COURT **

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6236 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

As like many of you I have started proceedings to regain the money from Abbey.

I walked into the branch 6 weeks ago as the charges were just getting to out of hand, (note that it was me the customer that took the initiative not abbey) we made an arrangement and that finishes 26th June (again I agreed to this at the time as like so many other peeps I did not know my rights). At the time the arrangement was made they took my multifunction card and cheque book and denied me access to the bank account on the internet (even though money was being payed in each week) were they allowed to do this?

I have since sent in a letter to Abbey requesting that they refund the charges that they have stung me with, so far this year £390 and had a standered reply back. ( the letter saying that they need to investigate which could take up to four weeks, yeah right )

Since that first letter I have sent a letter in requesting DPA on the charges made to the account, as I have no way of paying ( although I have said in the letter to take the money from my account ) will they still supply me with the information?

What should I do now wait for Abbey to reply with the DPA and send that off to abbey where I sent the first letter, or treat them as two seperate cases and pursue the first letter, where I stated that I wanted a refund within 7 days , and that I reserve the right to commence court proceedings.

Regards

Andy

N1 forms delivered to court for Barclays

50% rejection letter sent to DLA

( Abbey )

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At the time the arrangement was made they took my multifunction card and cheque book and denied me access to the bank account on the internet (even though money was being payed in each week) were they allowed to do this?

I have since sent in a letter to Abbey requesting that they refund the charges that they have stung me with, so far this year £390 and had a standered reply back. ( the letter saying that they need to investigate which could take up to four weeks, yeah right )

Since that first letter I have sent a letter in requesting DPA on the charges made to the account, as I have no way of paying ( although I have said in the letter to take the money from my account ) will they still supply me with the information?

What should I do now wait for Abbey to reply with the DPA and send that off to abbey where I sent the first letter, or treat them as two seperate cases and pursue the first letter, where I stated that I wanted a refund within 7 days , and that I reserve the right to commence court proceedings.

Regards

Andy

the first letter should have stated a request for the £390 within 14 days not 7. But it doesn't much matter, get ready to send the LBA letter - the template is in the library.

Abbey should furnish you with the DPA and deduct the £10 though if you have insufficient funds then they may write and request the £10 payment by cheque - thus delaying disclosure..

Either way continue with the £390 claim - you can add on additional monies to the claim right up until moneyclaim (filing online) and even subsequent by paying a nominal fee to the court to ammend the particulars of the claim - we will cross this bridge if it gets to that stage.

You need to treat the one account as one claim so do not agree to settle anything outright until you have received full disclosure - i.e accept £390 if they offer but emphasise you will still pursue collection of the remaining monies once disclosure has been made.

They can deny you access to your account online and remove facilities in accordance with their Ts and Cs but there should remain mechanism for you to access account info - such as via receiving statemnts or telephone banking or in the branch.

"BA Group. The World's favourite CA Group"

HSBC 2 claims amalgamated. £1195. settled in full prior to filing claim.

BARCLAYS settled in full 2 days prior to submission of defence by Barclays

CAP ONE settled in full on day 14 of LBA (£210)

Thanks Don for your reply and advice.

Have sent DPA letters to Abbey and Barclays.

Have downloaded the LBA from the library. Now in my initial letter I wrote that I wanted a full refund in 7 days which you quite rightly corrected to 14, now is this working days or just normal days.

Lastly reading through peeps post thay have like updates at the bottom of there messages. How do I do this.

Regards

Andy

( Abbey )

Now in my initial letter I wrote that I wanted a full refund in 7 days which you quite rightly corrected to 14, now is this working days or just normal days.

Calendar days. After all, banks charge us interest at weekends and bank holidays!

Lastly reading through peeps post thay have like updates at the bottom of there messages. How do I do this.

Click on 'User CP' towards the top of the forum, and you will find the option to 'Edit signature' - type your text in there.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Thanks Barracad

It means I'll be able to send the LBA letter sooner :) :) and adjust my diary from counting it in working days to calender days :D :D

Andy

( Abbey )

Just to let you know, I have been waiting for Abbey to send my statements since 20th March! I have started court proceedings against them on Friday to get them to disclose this information. They have taken my £10 but only given me less than a third of the statements! In my experience Abbey will try to stall you at every opportunity - stick to your guns and be prepared to take them to court!

Good luck

Hi All

I have been trying to open a parachute account but because of the default notice put on by shabbey not really able to have tried smile but they rejected me and also lloyds but the they only offered a basic cash card account, so any ideas anyone on who I could approach.

I am of this thursday going to send my LBA letter to "non-fabbey" (from library) and that request that they remove the default notice. As you are all probably aware this could take a while so was wondering what to do in the meantime.

Also went into court then other day to pick all the forms that I will need just in case.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Cheers

Andy

( Abbey )

hi andy natwest step account fill in online dont do credit check good luck...

Only direct action by the masses will work....

Look at all successes they have never come from negotiation!!!

Hi

Thanks fergal have done that today, agreed in priciple so we wait and see.

Preparing LBA now for SHabbey, got to sit down and work out the interest lol.

Oh well be worth it in the end.

Andy:) :) :)

( Abbey )

LBA letter

Well below is a copy of my LBA letter any comments would be very helpful I think I have covered everythig.

I am very disappointed that you have failed to respond to my letter of 
the 1st June 2006
I now understand that the regime of 'fees' which you have been applying 
to my account in relation to direct debit refusals, exceeding overdraft
limits and so forth are unlawful at Common Law, Statute
and recent Consumer regulations.

I would draw your attention to the terms of the contract which 
you agreed to at the time that I opened my account. It is an 
implied term of that contract that you would conduct yourselves
lawfully and in a manner which complies with UK law.

I am frankly shocked that you have operated my account in this 
way as I had always reposed confidence in your integrity and
expertise as my fiduciary.

I calculate that you have taken £xxx plus £xxx which I will 
charge in interest to you as advised in Her Majesty’s Courts 
Service leaflet Ex304. Total £xxx
I am enclosing a copy of the schedule of the charges which
I am claiming, updated from my previous letter.

Please be also aware that on the 9th June I have requested
information under Section 7(1) of the Data Protection Act 1998 
relating to charges to this account. Once I am in possession of 
that information I will be issueing a further claim.

Additionally you have entered a default notice against my credit
record. This default occurred merely in respect of unlawful charges
levied by you or was the result of impecuniosity caused directly by
the taking by you of penalty charges which you had applied unlawfully
to my account.

In addition to full payment of the sum mentioned 
above I require thatyou remove the default
entry from the register. 
Please note that mere correction or 
amendment to the entry will not be acceptable. 

I require repayment in full of this money and removal of the default 
notice. If you do not comply fully within 14 days then I shall begin 
a claim against you for the full amount plus interest plus a claim
under ss.7 and 13 of the Data Protection Act 1998 plus my costs
and without further notice.

Furthermore, I shall submit a Consumer Credit Act 1974 complaint 
to the OFT upon the basis that you have failed to comply with 
the OFT's direction of 5 April 2006 and are therefore not a 
'fit and proper person' to hold a consumer credit licence 
under the 1974 Act. If you do not understand what this
means then seek advice from your legal department.

Thanks for taking the time to read. Off to bed now have had enough.:) :)

Andy

( Abbey )

Hi All

I have been trying to open a parachute account but because of the default notice put on by shabbey not really able to have tried smile but they rejected me and also lloyds but the they only offered a basic cash card account, so any ideas anyone on who I could approach.

I am of this thursday going to send my LBA letter to "non-fabbey" (from library) and that request that they remove the default notice. As you are all probably aware this could take a while so was wondering what to do in the meantime.

Also went into court then other day to pick all the forms that I will need just in case.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Cheers

Andy

hi I have just opened an account with first plus and my creidt rating is on the floor because of shabby they let me know within 2 days you can apply on line. Good luck

Hi

Just had a reply from SHabbey saying usual stuff that oft ruling was in relation to credit cards blah blah blah.

That SHabbeys charges are fair etc anyway you get the drift just another run of the mill unoriginal load of claptrap. Strange I seem to think I read this letter loads of times somewhere before. lol

oh well the LBA is ready posting it today recorded.:) :) :)

( Abbey )

Furthermore, I shall submit a Consumer Credit Act 1974 complaint

to the OFT upon the basis that you have failed to comply with

the OFT's direction of 5 April 2006 and are therefore not a

'fit and proper person' to hold a consumer credit licence

under the 1974 Act. If you do not understand what this

means then seek advice from your legal department.

I have cautioned people before about using this paragraph or tact - in that the OFT does not determine whether the Bank is a fit and proper person to hold a consumer credit licence - the FSA does. Further, the report issued by the OFT was NOT a direction to the bank. It was an indication of their opinion, and at best a recommendation to the Bank to consider their position. Only the FSA can issue "direction" in it's capacity as the industry regulator. It is also bordering on inflammatory to suggest that the Bank seek advice from their legal department. We are lay people remember - let's not aggravate the Bank, their employees, or their seven-figure salaried in-house legal teams (who are far more competent in matters of litigation than we will ever be) without good reason.

The rest of the LBA is fine. Good even. It does what it says on the tin - and is your final approach letter prior to initiating legal action. Nothing more. Nothing less.;-)

Hi Don

Firstly thanks for reading my LBA.

Your advice on the last paragraph has confused me somewhat as it's the letter thats in the library so I just copied it word for word basically tinkering it here and there to fit my own situation. I was not aware that you had warned people before about that paticular paragraph. I was aware of the footnote at the bottom of the letter. I't's sent now so hopefully thay won't make to much of it.

Sorry about that as I mentioned earlier was not aware of this.

Yes this is the final stage before I go to the court and fill out out the N1 forms (which I already have in my possesion :-) )

( Abbey )

absolutely. There is nothing wrong with it.. it is just my own personal preference.. I shall discuss with the other moderators about alterations to the generic template - but as I say this is just my own personal take - that is why it is a template!:)

Hi

I will bear that paragraph in mind when I begin my assault on Barclay's (when the printer has finished throwing a wobbly :-) :-) ) in fact I will probably follow karnes advice and omit it altogether.

like he said don't want to face awkward questions and it's better just to keep to the task in hand and just concentrate on getting monies back.

Regards

Andy

( Abbey )

Hi

Just have had the letter back from Shabbey Grabbey and a little confused ( not hard ). Anyway here goes.

Last bit of the 2nd Paragraph reads " Any earlier transactions have been archieved onto microfiche, which is not covered by the Data Protection Act ( yes was expecting this).These archived tranactions will not therefore be supplied to you under Data Protection Act request and will not be subject to the 40 day ruling ( no surprise there then ).

3rd paragraph reads " We can however supply details of the transactions held on microfiche on payment of admin fee ( grabbey true to form lol ) The fee is £10 for mulitple monthly statements per acoount ( thank god I have only one lol ) that have been archieved."

4th Paragraph reads " Unfortunatly ( here we go ) we are unable to supply a list of charges applied to your account for the last 6 years because we do not store this information separately from other trasactional data.We can only supply a list of the tansactions on your account, which will include details of any charges applied."

5th paragraph reads "It is clear from your request that you require the transactional information that is held on the microfiche records. In order to avoid any delays . we will therefore use the £10 that you have sent with your Data Protection Act request as payment for the microfiche records that you need. You will recieve these shortly."

So my question have they met my request or they fobbing me off can't quite make it out it seems they are contradicting themselves.

I read the letter from Alan regarding the microfiche argument and thought I better just check before I send that off.

Anyway on a different note the parachute account is up and running just writing letters to get everything transfered from abbey.

Regards

Andtroy

( Abbey )

Hi All

Thanks Karne I tought it was just wanted to make sure, so I will go to the library now and do alan's letter.:-) :-) :-D

Again thanks for your help.

Andtroy

( Abbey )

Hi

Have sent letter to Abbey ( see abbey thread microfiche argument ).

Also if you have read the previous note by me my parachute account is open and now written letters to say this is where I want my money paid in.:-) Am I likly to get a phone call now from abbey asking why no money is going in and therefore how should I respond.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Cheers

Andtroy

( Abbey )

Abbey haven't contacted me about no money going in. It's overdrawn at the moment - because of charges - what else? If they do get in touch I'll just tell them the amount is in dispute.

;) nn

FAQs: click here: http://READ THESE

Any views or opinions expressed are in good faith, to the best of my ability. I don't like to admit it, but I have been known to be wrong. Check other threads and if in doubt, seek professional advice.

Abbey: SETTLED IN FULL:lol:

BoS M/card SETTLED 27/09:lol:

Aqua CC (Halifax) SETTLED 28/06 :lol:

GMAC Request for refund 14/6; Prelim 31/7; LBA 11/9

First National Mortgage Data Protection Act sent 14/6 Statements 26/7

Cap 1 - SETTLED IN FULL:lol:

Abbey x 2: 50% offer refused AQ filed

Hello All

Well I'm going in today to give the court the N1 forms as I've had no response from Shabbey ( no surprise there then)

Had no response either for the reply relating to the mircrofiche argument letter.

Andy

( Abbey )

Hi All

Here we go here we go.:D :D :D :D :D :D

Submitted N1 forms to court today.

The final countdown

Andy

( Abbey )

Hi, I have been through all the standard stuff. I asked for a list of charges since 2000 and just got copies of statements for the past year. I complained and got sent a standard 'sorry you're unhappy' letter. I have written back threatening legal action and have heard nothing. I suppose I'm going to have to follow through my threat now. Wish me luck

Wendy

Hi All

Good luck Wendy.

Recieved Court papers today in the post.

the defendent ( abbey ) have until 19th July to respond.

( Abbey )