• Tweets

• So they seem to be deliberately fouling Britain - not 'just negligently Need to be in jail alongside the PO crims, and rabidly corrupt MPs
    • Well, we know it seems that the poops and others just use there MP position mainly to generate funds from their 'outside' lol interests Lets hope labor BAN second jobs for Mps - all second jobs - then create a truly independent expenses 'police' with real powers Tip of the iceberg: "A cohort of Conservative MPs standing down before the next election have netted jobs worth millions of pounds and have taken dozens of all-expenses-paid trips funded by foreign governments and lobbyists, the Observer can reveal." so far - "top of the list was former justice secretary Brandon Lewis, who has taken on five new part-time roles worth £410,000 a year alongside his commitments as an MP.   Outgoing Tory MPs take lucrative second jobs and ‘swan off on jollies’ | Conservatives | The Guardian WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM Sixty four Tories and four independent MPs who lost party whip plan to stand down from the Commons amid dire polling for Conservatives  
    • The first thing you need to do is for your father to send Argos customer services an email saying he wishes to return the item within the 14 day cooling-off period under the Consumer Rights Act 2015. This is important because he needs simple proof to back up his request, as they are being stubborn. Enclose a copy of receipt details so they can locate the sale, Distant selling regulations will apply as he made the contract online with the retailer and they took the payment. The contract is between your father and ARGOS. He has to cancel the contract and receive a refund back to his debit card. You cannot act on his behalf as a third party and they have every right to refuse to deal with you if they so wish. Data Protection the number one issue. I don't understand why Privity was mentioned since nobody is suing anyone. How you received the goods is irrelevant. A retailer's terms and conditions cannot derogate statutory obligation.
    • TfL take abuse of staff passes very seriously. If the pass has been confiscated I imagine they will write to them and it could result in the card being suspended for a time, as I understand it. I hope you've told them about the card being confiscated and why? We need to know how many times you used the pass please - how many weeks at 2-3 days a week. Later I would expect TfL to write to you as well, possibly with a schedule of journeys made with the card, to ask you to tell them which journeys were you. They will ask for your side of the story. We can help you to refine a letter to send once they write but you need to start it off because you're the only one who knows the full story. I suggest something like this. Paragraph 1 a short explanation of why you used the card on the day you were caught Paragraph 2 you know you made a mistake and you regret it Paragraph 3 you understand how what you did is wrong and the effect it has on TfL Paragraph 4 you have taken action - tell them what - to ensure that this doesn't happen again Paragraph 5 you ask if they would allow you to pay the outstanding fare and their administrative costs to resolve this Please don't copy and paste what I've said, use your own words. HB NB This is a suggested reply, don't send it before they write to you because we need to see what they say.
    • I purchased the phone last Sunday evening, online, and paid online.    it was collected in store on the Monday afternoon, and then the return was attempted the following day, the Tuesday. 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Reclamation v Abbey

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6252 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi I've had my current Abbey acount for about 5 years, during this time I have been charged aproximately over £600 of charges. Now like everyone (I'd imagine) I don't dispute the the right of the bank to apply a charge just how excessive the charge is. Yesterday I went 30p over limit and low and behold a £30 charge for my account. Once I was charged and their charge took me over my limit and they applied another charge. I phoned Abbey and asked for details of charges that have been applied to my account since it was opened, I was told I need to go into a branch to obtain this information. Is there anywhere I can write too for this info? As I want anything they say to me in writing. Has anyone receive these details through post or has everyone gone through the branch route? Also I changed my account from a current account to a student account a few years back but have retained the same back account number, will this affect anything?

Thanks

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi welcome to the forums - have a good read about particularly in the FAQs and Abbey section.

you will note that the first thing you must do is obtain your information via a request under the Data Protection Act - by either posting a letter to your branch or direct to Abbey.

It does not matter that you changed your account status - if the account number is the same you will receive ALL the information pertaining to it over the previous 6 years - make sure if you have any further accounts you request info on them to..

After the DPA request comes the calculation of charges and prelim letter to request your money back.. followed by LBA's, and possibly court action.. so do read around it will all become clear.

good luck and keep us posted of progress

"BA Group. The World's favourite CA Group"

HSBC 2 claims amalgamated. £1195. settled in full prior to filing claim.

BARCLAYS settled in full 2 days prior to submission of defence by Barclays

CAP ONE settled in full on day 14 of LBA (£210)

• 3 weeks later...
From what I've read I'm also a little worried about Abbey closing my account, I'm a student with an overdraft and could not afford to pay it back if they asked for it right away. Has this happened to anyone on here who is a student?

Have you looked at switching your account? when I was a student, they were more than happy to take on my overdraft. Try going to the big high street banks which offer specific student facilities and I think you will find that most would happily take on your overdraft (ie pay Abbey off and transfer it to your account with them) You can still claim even if you have closed your abbry account.

:)

Cheers for your replies.

Yeah I'm going to send it recorded and with a postal order because I can't send a cheque because the bank are charging me a another rediculous £110 for a total of £4.40 going over my overdraft £20 for going over and 3 * £30 for debit that came out. It's crazy because I keep an eye on my account online and it didn't show up until ages after. When it comes out on the 2nd it will take me over again. I'm stopping everything from going into that account wages student loan everything, however I guess that is going to stop me from being able to switch my account to another bank.

I'm attempting to open a new bank account to have wages etc. paid into but Abbey have charged me £110 taking me to -1609.10 (£109.10 over my limit). Which will in turn trigger another charge. Will the current state of this account effect my ability to get a new account? My previous months statement for my account is within my limit but does show the intended charges.

Also a visa payment dated 3rd July below came out after they had taken the charges, but my balance had changed by £5.28 before the charges and therefore I assume funds cleared before I was over my limit and it showed up on my statement, will they treat this as Charge for clearing VISA payment while overdrawn?

03 Jul 06Card payment to SOMERFIELD 2519 on 29_Jun 5.28-1609.1002 Jul 06Charge for clearing VISA payment while overdrawn 30.00-1603.8202 Jul 06Charge for clearing VISA payment while overdrawn 30.00-1573.8202 Jul 06Charge for clearing VISA payment while overdrawn 30.00-1543.8202 Jul 06Charge for an overdraft that has not been authorised 20.00-1513.8229 Jun 06Withdrawal from cash machine owned by Lloyds TSB 40.00-1493.82

Yes that is correct. One phrase that is vital to remember is stick to your timetable not theirs. this is because they will try every stalling technique in the book and so if you worked to theirs you would never get your money back!

I've spoken to various banks over the phone and they all say I need to go into the branch, Natwest said I needed to have at least two years left on my course. They mentioned credit scores and the like. I won't have a very good score so I doubt they would take on my overdraft. I can't even afford to pay the £110 charge that Abbey have applied to my account to take me back into my limit. Even if I could Abbey now charge you again even if it is they who take you over. I now can't have wages to paid into that account as it will just swallow them up and I have to eat. I'm trying to open just a normal current account online but have had nothing back from Natwest with that application. Charges are just going to keep rising on my Abbey account.

Just needed that rant :mad:

Should I phone Abbey and ask them if they have received the Data Protection Act request (I know they have, I checked with the royal mail), it was only delivered yesterday. Also i sent it to my local branch should I try to contact the branch or call the usual number?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I have now received the standard microfiche letter from abbey in reply to my DPA reuest. Two questions:

1) Abbey say they receieved my letter on the 7th however when I phoned royal mail it said the 6th. I did send it to my local branch so it might have taken the extra day to forward. Should I just acceot the 7th or insist it was received on the 6th and that is when the 40 days commences?

2) Should I reply with alanfromderby's microfiche reply letter or is it commonly accepted now that Abbey do not have to supply me with this info under the DPA?

Little rant

They have now applied £70 charges on my account again for next month £20 because I am over my overdraft in a new month £20 a transaction while being overdrawn and £30 that transaction which I had thought had been cleared. I can't keep up with these charges, no way of paying them off. Effectively that's £180 in the space of a month. I could tell the lady on the end of the phone disagreed with these charges by the tone of her voice. Any sane human being who isn't a greedy money grabbing banker can see these charges are just insanely excessive.

• 2 weeks later...

Have received Abbey duplicate statements dating back to June 2005 and what I think is a microfiche statement covering from march to june 2005 (these things are dodgy looks like there was a problem with the printer, first page small font and portrait second page landscape and big font same third.)

I think I read about this before but the duplicate statements are slightly different from the normal ones. For example june to July 2006 does not have the intended charges listed at the bottom (I'm sure you all know what I mean) whereas the original does, same for the month before. Is this common?

• 3 weeks later...

Abbeys 40 days are up and they haven't complied with my DPA request. After receiving the info they have sent I didn't send template 1 in the Data Protection Act Non-Compliance Template Letters section but did send alanfromderby's the microfiche reply letter in the Abbey - the microfiche argument in the Abbey forum. Am I right in thinking this is basically the same letter but more specific to Abbey's microfiche argument? If so should I just proceed to sending template 2?

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

Quick question, Abbey have not sent any further info and therefore not complied with the data protection act request. I sent template 2 from Data Protection Act - Non-Compliance - Template Letters threatening county court action if they don't sort in in 7 days, should I also make a complaint to the information commisioners office or just follow the county court route alone. Would be greatful for an answer.

Cheers

I would do both. File your court claim without delay, but also complain to the IC so that they are aware. The IC will probably take anything up to a couple of months to respond to you, so if you want to get your data then file a court claim.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

I opened a step account with Natwest the other day and I have an account with abbey and a smile student account too, I did this online, the account is quite basic but you can pay bills with it and you get a debit card and can set up direct debits.

The info commissioner did visit abbey last week and we are waiting on here for an anaylsis of the recall system (which abbey use to microfiche old statements/info erc )and whether it should definately under the data protection act., which we all of course think it should.

Barclaycard Student credit card £400 partial refund received, S.A.R -

Open & Direct Finance- extortionate, cca to Rockwell debt collection they ran away, now with Bryan Carter, no cca 17/03/08 sent back to Open

Pugsley v Littlwoods, have not received the signed credit agreement only quoting reg of 1983

Pugsley v Fashion World JD williams, 17/03 2008 Debt Managers returning file to JD williams as they could not supply the credit agreement

Capital one MCOL Settled in full

Smile lba settled in full

advice is given informally and without liability and without prejudice.