Bank Paid me Twice

cuddles159
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5773 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello!

I need some help, not sure what to do, I was chasing my bank through the letters on here and then as they started to threaten me with closing my bank I went to the FOS (financial ombudsman) the bank first replied to me after receing a letter from the FOS and paid me back almost striaght away. that was a month ago, so when I looked at my balance last week I was a little shocked to see that they have paid me again. I have received a letter from them saying they are paying me back after receiving a court claim (which I cancelled).

I know what I want to do, with the money :)

but what should really do, by law?

Thanks

Cuddles

Hi,

this happened to me too.....I did'nt notice they had paid me twice as they paid the money in...and took it back out within a few days. They did'nt mention their error, and I was only aware of it when I was checked my bank acccout online a few days after it happened. (I had a nice healthy bank balance for about two days!!:) )

So they can just take it back out of your account, and without notification, it seems!

Hi, I work in the finance area at my work and our payroll department has got a habit of messing up peoples wages when they leave the company.

At least 3 or 4 employees that have left have been double paid on their last month.

We have only managed to get one lot back and that was by asking nicely.

Apparently someone receives the money in their bank and spent it in good faith (i.e. didnt actually know that they had overpaid you and spent it without looking or realising) then legally we didn't have a leg to stand on trying to get it back. And were advised that if we took anyone to court to try and recover the money we would almost certainly lose.

Dont know what other laws are in place here, but it seems to be quite similar if they put the money in your account. Especially as it usually shows as a cash receipt in your account.

You could say that your mate owed you some money and you thought he'd finally paid you back.........

Please dont take this as advice in any way, just a comment!

My bank used to withdraw money out of my account without consent to pay my credit card also held with them. The card was in dispute because of penalty charges and they would take the minimum payment out of my account.

It would show on my account as a cash withdrawal.

I kicked off a complaint as there was money leaving my account (showed as cash) but yet I hadnt withdrawn it.

They said it must have been me taking it out of the cashpoint, but it clearly wasn't as you can't take £23.58 or whatever in pence out of a ATM.

I wrote to them and threatened FOS unless they investigated. They reversed the items and reimbursed me for the withdrawals as they could not prove I had made them (which of course I hadnt). Even though the reimbursed me for the withdrawals without my consent they never deducted the payments back off my credit card.

They never realised it was actually their own staff withdrawing the money and paying off the credit card with it.

Goes to show how good these banks systems and reconciliation processes are.

Their paperwork is not up to scratch and that is why they make these errors. Surprising what you can get away with by challenging them.

If the bank reimbursed me twice for bank charges I would sweep it to my savings account to at least earn the interest until they asked for it back

This happened to me last Sept. The banks still haven't realised i was paid double.

George Loveless - “We raise the watchword, liberty. We will, we will, we will be free!"

My advice is only my opinion, I am not a legal expert.

IF YOU LIKE THE ADVICE I'M GIVING AND ARE HAPPY WITH IT, CLICK THE SCALES ON THE BOTTOM LEFT OF THIS POST AND TELL ME.

Not spent the money and don't think I will for a long time, left it just sitting in account, thanks for all your comments, think I will just leave it and hope they don't realise it.

This is a good thing to teach the bank a lesson about taking money from others.

I'm waiting for the FOS to let me know what they plan to do with my case and hopefully get my charges back.

They closed my account without any notice and took money from my saving account to clear some of the overdraft I never ask for and now I have a debts collection agency ringing and writing to demanding money.

So if this was ever to happen to me I would take it all out and put it in high interest account with another bank and leave it there to gain interest like they are doing with the charges and wait for them to ask for it back.

Also open an account with another bank for your day to day affair and have a fresh start.

This may sound a bit childish but what goes arounds comes around....

Right thats my advice, now can anyone give any idea if the FOS are as good as they say they are? lol:)

They closed my account without any notice and took money from my saving account to clear some of the overdraft I never ask for and now I have a debts collection agency ringing and writing to demanding money.

So if this was ever to happen to me I would take it all out and put it in high interest account with another bank and leave it there to gain interest like they are doing with the charges and wait for them to ask for it back.

Also open an account with another bank for your day to day affair and have a fresh start.

This may sound a bit childish but what goes arounds comes around....

Right thats my advice, now can anyone give any idea if the FOS are as good as they say they are? lol:)

I might just consider that myself at a later date. Once my current claim is settled. I will certainly not forget the advice.

Ta and good luck!! (I would never have thought of that myself!!)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I read what everyone said and just left in my account, they have'nt come back to me yet, so not sure what to do next, think I will just leave it there gaining me interest.

I can say today that the FOS are worth approaching as they wrote to me saying that Lloyds TSB have offered me £5145 without a Formal Investigation as they don't want to be caught out on what they are hiding from the customers.

This is £400 short of what I've been claiming for.

However Lloyds TSB won't accept liability or will say that their charges were unjust which I expected.

I am considering asking for the 8% sat interest to be added to what they've already offered.

I first approach the FOS about 4 weeks ago and started my claim on the 2nd March 2007.

So I think the FOS have done what they've promise and also I've spent roughly £15 in total to get this far without court involvement.

So if people are unsure of these guy...give them a chance.....

Hi just read your thread, the halifax paid me on the 22nd june my bank charges refunded and today i noticed that they have paid me on one account again, whats the best thing to do x

dolphin, you have been told what's the best thing to do on your own thread, and quoted the law to show you why you can not, must not keep the money, asking elsewhere is not going to change that.

• 11 months later...

Hi just come across your message the bank paid me my charges back last year then took 2175 back when i rang they said it was interest i owed them on a loan i told them id never had a loan they refunded it me back twice, just wandered if they ever realised that they paid you twice, thanks lorraine

I first approach the FOS about 4 weeks ago and started my claim on the 2nd March 2007.

So if people are unsure of these guy...give them a chance.....

You're lucky. I've been with them for 12 months now and no offers yet. Still "waiting to hear back from the bank" they tell me.

You might want to read my thread on 'FOS decisions and guidelines' about how they treat any complaint which is not straightforward, i.e. where the bank doesn't offer the refund immediately or DCAs are involved. I've had nothing but bias towards the bank and DCA. Even had to pay again on closed, settled accounts.