• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Peter and The Pirates ***SETTLED IN FULL***

PeteCC
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6227 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Well, folks, after absorbing as much as I could from this site in the last few days, looking at the fantastic help and support available, I have decided to start a claim against NatWest.

What I've done so far is to request a copy of the bank statements which I don't already have, and will follow this up with a DPA letter whether or not I receive them.

One question I do have at this stage is, does anyone have any advice as to which banks are easiest to open an account with, because I really need to buy a parachute? I don't want to fire off a dozen or so applications and further damage an already fragile credit rating.

BTW, I've already started another thread about the charges the bailiffs are levying against me. Just if anyone's interested. :)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=10146&highlight=petecc

I'll keep you posted.

Regards,

PeteCC

PS If you're new here, as I am, please PLEASE read as much as possible the contents of the site. You will get SUCH a feeling of empowerment when it starts to hang together.

NatWest, claimed £521.00, settled in full.

Data Protection Act to LTSB (sent 15th June) Received statements 10/7/2006. Claiming £570.50. Sent claim 17th July Reply received 21st July. (sent LBA 22nd July) Then the procrastination started. http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/lloyds-bank/11169-peters-progress.html

Settled in full £905.18, confirmation faxed to the court the day before I appeared, which meant I didn't know 'til the Judge told me.

Letter requesting disclosure of account info from Thoburn's bailiffs. (sent) Data Protection Act to follow.

Ooh, the suspenders is killing me!

:D

Hi Pete, welcome aboard.

Do you think you are likely to get a standard current account, or would it be a Basic account.

If you're looking at Basic ones, then usually I would mention the NatWest Step account, but I don't think that would do you any favours now, would it. As such, the Co-Op Cashminder seems to get reasonable 'reviews' and I could also recommend the HSBC Basic Account - I've had one for about 18 months now.

When searching for one, I would just say that you are looking for alternatives rather than making specific reference to the fact you have been charged or you are claiming charges etc etc.

Apparently they get a little upset :)

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Thanks for that amazingly fast reply, jonni2bad. (An insomniac, too?)

Yes, methinks NatWest would be a fun choice, but possibly not best chosen, and although I'm usually fairly outspoken, a little tact in stating why I want another account would be sensible. :)

Co-op sounds good, 'though.

Thanks again,

PeteCC

Data Protection Act to LTSB (sent 15th June) Received statements 10/7/2006. Claiming £570.50. Sent claim 17th July Reply received 21st July. (sent LBA 22nd July) Then the procrastination started. http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/lloyds-bank/11169-peters-progress.html

Settled in full £905.18, confirmation faxed to the court the day before I appeared, which meant I didn't know 'til the Judge told me.

Letter requesting disclosure of account info from Thoburn's bailiffs. (sent) Data Protection Act to follow.

Hi Pete :)

Would recomend Abbey basic Acc. - You can always upgrade later to a std Acc.

They were sugested to my by the Consumer credit Counceling Service also as an alternative to Snatch west.

They are very helpfull and you don't have to give a reason why you want to open an account or show them any balances from Snatwest accounts - just show them a front slip from a statement with your address and acc details.

Good luck

The Mixer

[SIZE=1] [SIZE=1][COLOR=royalblue][COLOR=black][B]NatWest [/B] Offer accepted - 24/07/06 - £615[/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=1][COLOR=royalblue][COLOR=black]-----------------------------------------------[/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=1][COLOR=royalblue][COLOR=black][B]Cap One [/B] Prelim - 22/08/06[/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=1][COLOR=royalblue][COLOR=#000000]LBA sent - 06/09/06 [/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=1][COLOR=royalblue][COLOR=#000000] MCOL issued 06/10/06 Served 11/10/06. Acknowledged - Deadline 25/10/06 [COLOR=Red] Offer of full settlement via personal cheque accepted £269. Wait 14 days in post for cheque from - 07/11/06 [/COLOR] [/COLOR] [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=magenta][B][COLOR=darkslateblue]Hit the [/COLOR][COLOR=darkslateblue][URL="https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr"][COLOR=red]DONATE BUTTON[/COLOR] [/URL]and give 5% back to support this site! And don't forget the [COLOR=red]survey ;) [/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE] [/SIZE]

Thanks, Pixlmixer. I'll check that one out, too.

Regards,

PeteCC

Having read this forum a lot, I really REALLY would NOT reccommend Abbey. However, I've heard a lot of good stuff about First Direct (despite claiming back my charges from them), and I'm reasonably impressed with Smile - who invest ethically too if that floats your boat.

Well I guess they're all the same and that's why we're here. Point is A basic account is abou as safe as you can get - if you keep in the clear - no overdraught or extra card facilities and as an alternative to Snatchwest, Abbey were recommended by Consumer credit Counceling Service.

Obviously tho and very important, DONT go to Bank of Scotland as they are Natwest's sister bank.

[SIZE=1] [SIZE=1][COLOR=royalblue][COLOR=black][B]NatWest [/B] Offer accepted - 24/07/06 - £615[/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=1][COLOR=royalblue][COLOR=black]-----------------------------------------------[/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=1][COLOR=royalblue][COLOR=black][B]Cap One [/B] Prelim - 22/08/06[/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=1][COLOR=royalblue][COLOR=#000000]LBA sent - 06/09/06 [/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=1][COLOR=royalblue][COLOR=#000000] MCOL issued 06/10/06 Served 11/10/06. Acknowledged - Deadline 25/10/06 [COLOR=Red] Offer of full settlement via personal cheque accepted £269. Wait 14 days in post for cheque from - 07/11/06 [/COLOR] [/COLOR] [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=magenta][B][COLOR=darkslateblue]Hit the [/COLOR][COLOR=darkslateblue][URL="https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr"][COLOR=red]DONATE BUTTON[/COLOR] [/URL]and give 5% back to support this site! And don't forget the [COLOR=red]survey ;) [/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE] [/SIZE]

BTW First Direct took my Father's house off him when his partner ran off with all the funds...

Thanks for your replies, all much appreciated.

I do have one question, and days of trawling the site hasn't helped, but I know it's in there, surely.

When EXACTLY, does the '6 years' start. Is it 6 years from the date of first sending a letter claiming the return of the charges, 6 years from the DPA letter, 6 years from filing the N1?

The reason I'm asking is that on one of my accounts, I'm sure charges were accruing 'round about 6 years ago, and I don't want to claim for anything which is not covered and which may subsequently come back and bite me. (Notwithstanding the thread about claiming for MORE than 6 years.)

Sorry if this has been asked before, I have looked, honest.

Regards,

PeteCC

PS I checked out this thread http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=10009 but it's still confusing. :(

I always start counting the 6 years from the date of my preliminary letter

• Confused 1

25/06/08 - NatWest - Prelim letter

09/03/06 - Halifax - Settled 27/4

22/03/06 - Capital One - Settled 24/6

17/04/06 - Nationwide - Settled 8/9

Hit the DONATE BUTTON and give 5% back to support this site!

Thanks Bovvered, I was wandering that too and well done for asking Pete.

As you can see there are a few of us having a problem with recorded DPA requests not been signed for - 7 days now since posting mine. Royal Mail don't seem to have an answer and we are suspecting that they will be returned.

Well, got a polite letter from my branch manager informing me that they could not send me statements referred to by page number, only by the dates, (why not? It's their filing/notation system), so dates it is then and I sent them off yesterday. (Just occurred to me that I should simply have asked for them all.) Another delaying tactic, methinks.

Regards,

Peter

Hi Pete,

Why does that not suprise me! As you say its their system... They do seem to appling delay tactics here, especially as we have now been informed by them that they are inundated with DPA requests etc. Guess this whole business is getting a real headache for them lol.

I would sugest that you request DPA (recorded) for the full SAR info but also follow up with the phone call (see my thread) so you can at least begin work on your spread sheet.

My Recorded (1st class next day service) DPA of the 06/06/06 STILL has not been signed for.

My Recorded (1st class next day service) DPA of the 06/06/06 STILL has not been signed for.

And never will be. Don't take this as non-delivery though, 1st class mail is deemed to have been delivered in 2 working days. Your timescale starts from that point.

Recorded delivery = utter sh***

• Confused 1

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

• 1 month later...

Hi, All,

Sorry I haven't posted anything for a while, but as nothing of any real importance was happening, I mean by that nothing which was different from standard letters to and fro etc, so nothing of any real help to anyone, except.............

I asked for the statements again, on 20th June, and this letter was ignored, so I fired off a letter of complaint to the manager of my branch. Two days later I had a phonecall from Customer Services who apologised profusely for the delay, and promised to have the entire set of statements for me within a week. (Not just the ones I had requested.)

They arrived, as promised, and I got a follow up call asking if I had received them. So, thank you, Kate, at NatWest, you were pleasant, helpful, and delivered on your promise.

So, I calculated the charges (£521.00) and sent off the first letter. (30th June) Standard, 'sorry you are unhappy' reply, with the helpful little booklet enclosed.

LBA sent (17th July), with the reply of, 'get back to you within 10 working days', and another helpful little booklet. This arrived on 25th July.

I wrote again, telling them that their schedule of 10 working days meant that they would over-run my schedule for making a claim, and that I would be filing, as planned, on 3rd August.

On 26th July, BEFORE this letter could have been delivered to them, I received another letter telling me that the charges were fair, transparent (yada yada), but they had taken this opportunity to review the account and were to refund all the charges. Please signal your acceptance.

I did, and am now £521.00 the richer. (Perfect timing as I am going away for a few days, and £25.00 will be winging its way into the BAG account.)

So, nothing very dramatic, no histrionics, just a half-hearted 'No', then a resigned 'Yes'.

Oh, if only it was that easy every time.

Good luck to you all.

PeteCC

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks NWSM, so now, 'It seemed that out of battle I escaped......'

PeteCC

Well done Pete - I missed the post saying you'd had the money...

CONGRATULATIONS!!

Don't forget the survey

• 1 month later...

Hi, All,

I had occasion to visit my branch the other day, the first time I'd been in since reclaiming and receiving back my charges.

After I'd concluded the transactions, the teller said that there was a note on my file to say one of the advisors would like to speak to me and 'Did I have a few minutes?' I said yes, and she said, 'I'll just tell her and I'll give her your card (Solo)'.

(Uh-oh! She's walking away with my card, they're going to close my account!)

So, I sat for a few minutes in the reception area, rehearsing what I was going to say, quotes from the FSA and BBA etc, words like 'retaliatory' and 'unconscionable' flitting about in my head.

Anyway, I got invited in, sat down, and the advisor asked how I thought my account was going. 'Pretty well', says I, 'I'd just like a better one.' (It's a Step account.) 'That's what we're here to look at.' she replied.

Turns out they wanted to 'upgrade me' to an Advantage Gold account, a 'real' account with a chequeboook, overdraft facility etc. For this, and the additional services, they would only charge me £12.00 a month. So I accepted, but on the condition that I would only use the basic service of the account, not the additions, hence NO £12.00 charge. So, I now have 4 accounts with them, the Step, a savings account (comes with the Gold), and for some reason, I have 2 Gold accounts as well, one with the £12.00 charge, as yet unpaid by me, already refunded.

I guess this would relate to Bookworm's thread http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-charges-print/34233-evening-standard-metro-27-a.html

Ah well, such is life.

Regards,

Peter

Hi pete,

Just opened a basic account with Nationwide. Without overdraft or chequebook. Received cashcard with £300 limit. and allowed Direct Debits. took me 5 mins no questions asked and I probably have one of the worst credit records in the UK of anyone who is not bankrupt.

hope this helps

Hi Guys

Another newbie here...:oops: although I have read loads of threads about Natwest ( love the snatch west how appropriate!!!!!) I am wondering if it will really work for me? I intend to spend the evening reading the threads and forums etc, will I be able to find out how to get these SAR things and do I just contact the bank and ask for copies of my statements.... can you claim back the charges for these?

I'm rather overwhelmed by the success stories here, just worried about rocking the boat...... I know someone said read the FAQ's I will! Any other advice for an apprehensive young lady before I take them on? :eek:

ANY help would be greatly appreciated :)

Ellie

xxxx

• 5 months later...

And here we go/have went, again. (Deliberate antigrammatical.)

Well, I had my new account or a few weeks, and screwed it up. I wrote a cheque which was presented before a deposit was 'in the system'.

Ok, I'll accept the charge (£39.00). Not happy, but it was my own fault.

But! A second charge (£39.00) was applied as the cheque was noted RDPR (Refer to drawer, please represent) even 'though I had less in the account (due to the original charge) than necessary.

I then incurred two charges of £28.00 each time for 'unauthorised borrowing' making a total of £132.00.

No way!

So I wrote my letter(s) saying that I WOULD have accepted the original charge but certainly not anything else, and guess what? A letter in the post saying that they would refund the £132.00. Mind you, they have said they will close the account if I do not accept their regime of charges in future.

Oh, like I WANT to keep writing letters/getting letters? Charge me fairly for a breach of contract and I'm cool. Enjoy your obscene profits!

Regards,

PeteCC