• Tweets

• Hmm yes I see your point about proof of postage but nonetheless... "A Notice to Keeper can be served by ordinary post and the Protection of Freedoms Act requires that the Notice, to be valid,  must be delivered either (Where a notice to driver (parking ticket) has been served) Not earlier than 28 days after, nor more than 56 days after, the service of that notice to driver; or (Where no notice to driver has been served (e.g ANPR is used)) Not later than 14 days after the vehicle was parked A notice sent by post is to be presumed, unless the contrary is proved, to have been delivered on the second working day after the day on which it is posted; and for this purpose “working day” means any day other than a Saturday, Sunday or a public holiday in England and Wales." My question there is really what might constitute proof? Since you say the issue of delivery is a common one I suppose that no satisfactory answer has been established or you would probably have told me.
    • I would stand your ground and go for the interest. Even if the interest is not awarded you will get the judgement and the worst that might happen is that you won't get your claim fee.  However, it is almost inevitable that you will get the interest.  It is correct that it is at the discretion of the judge but the discretion is almost always exercised in favour of the claimant in these cases.  I think you should stand your ground and don't give even the slightest penny away Another judgement against them on this issue would be very bad for them and they would be really stupid to risk it but if they did, it would cost them far more than the interest they are trying to save which they will most likely have to pay anyway
    • Yep, true to form, they are happy to just save a couple of quid... They invariably lose in court, so to them, that's a win. 😅
    • Your concern regarding the 14 days delivery is a common one. Not been on the forum that long, but I don't think the following thought has ever been challenged. My view is that they should have proof of when it was posted, not when they "issued", or printed it. Of course, they would never show any proof of postage, unless it went to court. Private parking companies are simply after money, and will just keep sending ever more threatening letters to intimidate you into paying up. It's not been mentioned yet, but DO NOT APPEAL! You could inadvertently give up useful legal protection and they will refuse any appeal, because they're just after the cash...  
    • The sign says "Parking conditions apply 24/7". Mind you, that's after a huge wall of text. The whole thing is massively confusing.  Goodness knows what you're meant to do if you spend only a fiver in Iceland or you stay a few minutes over the hour there.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

WooHoo! I've Won - At Last!

rors
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6160 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hey all..

i have a BIG problem.. i think?

after speaking to someone in the chatroom regarding where to send my initial 'can i have my money back' letter, i was advised to send it to the 36 St Andrews Square, Edinburgh address.. which i did.

this was on the 22nd November 2006, and i've heard nothing back from anyone at all!?

i've just spoken to customer relations for RBoS, and they say there is NO record of any letter at all.. even tho i have proof of postage and a receipt for proof of delivery too etc..

what do i do now..?

i've just sent my 2nd letter threatening them with court action in 14 days.. to the same address!?

have i messed up my claim completely.. or just wasted my time so far..?

thanks as always for any advice..

take care all.. rors

hey all again..

i know i've only just put the last thing up (literally minutes ago), but i happend upon Tommy McLean's number in another thread, and decided to give him a ring direct.. he really is a very pleasant guy, and told me the letter had been received on the 27th November, and that there was a back-log of money back requests.. he also said that because i was asking for 'one of the larger amounts' back (£3383.34), that it would take longer for a response to get out to me?

i explained to him that i had also sent my 2nd letter today, informing them of my plans for court action within 14 days, and he told me 'if that's what you need to do, to go ahead and do it!'

does this sound strange to anyone here..?

i mean.. i will go to court if i have to, but has anyone else had this kind of response when they've spoken to anyone from RBoS?

anyway..

please give me some advice on all this, as i'm developing a twitch ;)

take care all, and thanks again :)

rors

He`s just trying to freak you out, stick to your timetable, if you havent heard owt after the 14 day day deadline then i would proceed with the N1 or mcol (or whatever you fancy), they`ll pay up unless they want to disclose in court, which we all know they wont

• Confused 1

Upon receipt of your LBA they will start to move quicker trust me!! All the banks will be testing the water with any new complaints - trying to work out how determined you are. Like Solowka said, keep to your schedule and proceed as instructed in the guides. They will soon be offering you your £3k back.

If my post has been useful, tip my scales and let me know

Always start with the User guide!

Stuck with RBS charges? Click here!!

RBS CA1 £2794 SETTLED!!! RBS CA2 £503 SETTLED!!! HBOS CC £498 SETTLED!!! Barclaycard £705 (with CCI) ONGOING!!! NATWEST CA ONGOING!!! LLOYDS CA x 2, CC, LOAN ONGOING!!! HFC LOAN ONGOING!!!

• 1 month later...

ok chums..

here's my latest update (better late than never i guess)..

since sending in that second letter, i have recieved six letters back from RBoS (sandy watt) asking for a little more time.. hmmmmm?

well, i have given them an extra 14 days, and they've done absolutely nothing! i've just phoned tommy mcClean, but he's not in until later, and i was assured he would ring me back today (we'll see)..

if i don't hear from him today, i'm starting court proceedings!

i'll keep you all updated on my progress mates..

rors

The problem is that they might be wise to people stalling their LBAs to push through settlement without going to court. They could well be testing to see if you have the gall to take it to court.

On the other hand they could genuinely be inundated. Wouldn't give them any more chances, if you don't hear from them today take the plunge.

At least you get to add your 8% interest now so your claim will increase.

• Confused 1

RBS CA1 £2794 SETTLED!!! RBS CA2 £503 SETTLED!!! HBOS CC £498 SETTLED!!! Barclaycard £705 (with CCI) ONGOING!!! NATWEST CA ONGOING!!! LLOYDS CA x 2, CC, LOAN ONGOING!!! HFC LOAN ONGOING!!!

Don't forget to add costs to your claim - sending all the letters (£2 a letter seems fair if you've sent them recorded), your 10 pound SAR, plus court costs.

Just don't get carried away - they need to be realistic.

Not a problem, you can tip my scales if you like ;)

• Haha 1

ok people..

i've literally just come off the phone from tommy mcClean (nice man)..

i told him that i'd given them enough time, and that i was about to start court proceedings against RBoS..

he has assured me that he will ring me in the morning with confirmation of an offer (and a good one he says) from RBoS..?

so i'm gunna hold on for 24hrs.. and see what transpires!

i'll keep yuz all posted ;)

rors

Any news???

And having dealt and settled for the full amount of my first claim, I can say that he is genuinely a nice guy... but i suppose you have to be if you are the complaints manager.

Having worked with a few people who have brothers, sisters, mothers who work in banks... they genuinely WANT to settle out of court. It costs loooooooooooooooooaads in court fees and can quite frankly do a lot of public damage to the banks. And wind up with people switching which is what they are the most afraid of.

I settled my first claim within a month back in July. What I did differently was send in a 3rd 'Reminder' letter directly to Tommy Mcleans email inbox. Had a full settlement offer on my doorstep within a few days.

• Confused 1

hello again..

i'm afraid mr mcClean didn't get back to me today as he promised..

he did say he was in london today, and tat he'd get intouch from down there.

i could give him the benefit of the doubt, and accept he has probably had a tough day, and it slipped his mind?

i guess i'll find out in the morning when i phone him :D

i'll keep yuz posted ;)

cheers mates..

rors

hello all..

just a quick one.. but very important!

i have made my claim (22.11.06), and since sent my second letter (12.12.06), and included with both a total breakdown of all my charges for the past 6 years..

my problem/querey is:

the bank (on the odd occasion) have refunded maybe half my charges back to me.. so say they charged me £150 one day, they may have (but very very rarely) refunded back £75 as a goodwill gesture.. all of these refunds being to the tune of about £726 in total (including interest) £574 (without interest)!

basically, i have left these charges in my claim because i feel the refunds never helped my situation.. have i messed up my claim now?

i'm beginning to wonder if i should look again at my charges/refunds, and adjust my final claim again.. it currently stands at £3383 all in.. and i'm worried i should really only be claiming for £2600 or so..?

what say you..?

any help will be gratefully received.. rors

Have you actually issued a claim through the Courts against your bank yet?

If you have not, when you actually issue your claim you should make certain that the figure you sue them for is accurate. However, you do not need to re-send your prelim letter or LBA - but do make sure the amount on your claim form is correct.

If you were suing for more than you detailed in your LBA etc then I would suggest that you send them again, but as you are reducing the amount of your claim I do not consider this to be be necessary.

• Haha 1

iGroup (GE Money) - AoS Filed late, defence late, amended defence also late despite extra time requested and granted.

Vanquis - Claim issued, no AoS or Defence received

thanks for your reply hagenuk..

i haven't yet issued my claim via the courts.. but i have just been back through all my statements, and amended my file - they've paid me back a total of £574.06 (excluding interest) over the past 6 years..

anyway, now i know that, i can issue a claim against them in court ;)

thanks very much man :)

rors

• 3 weeks later...

hello all.. again :)

just a quick update on the situation here..

ok.. RBoS have at last come up with an offer!!

unfortunately, it's pretty much exactly half of what i'm claiming from them..

i'm claiming £2656.88.. they offered £1374.37!

and the reason they only offered this much is because (they say) they're not paying out ANY interest at all TO ANYONE?

anyone else heard of this?

anyone got any advice on what i could do about this?

i've told 'em i'll sort it out with them in court, and they said they'd look into it and get back to me..

any thoughts?

thanks as always mates :)

what stage are you at now? what deadlines have passed?

IMO sounds like a bluff....

thanks for yer reply t4ff..

many deadlines have passed and i too am beginning to think it's all a bluff!

i'm starting court proceedings..

and to think.. i gave tommy macClean props for being a decent guy too?

i'm absolutely sick to death with em!

cheers as always :)

i'm about to send this email to your friend and mine Tommy McLean..

is this wise or stupid?

..in other words.. could it go against my claim?

Hello there Tommy,

i was wondering if you could give me a ring regarding the letter of offer i was supposed to receive this week (the second you have sent i believe).

I was told by both yourself and one of your colleagues (whose name escapes me right now) that the offer was for £1374.37 (or there about), and that a letter had been sent weeks ago.. and another was on its way!

Still neither have turned up, and despite all our conversations regarding my claim you have not (at any point) phoned me when you have promised you would, or returned any call i have made to you!

I feel Tommy that you are now stringing me along in hope that I will become bored with the whole thing and forget about my claim altogether - I would like to assure you that this is far from correct, and every piece of literature that i have sent to you (and RBoS), received from RBoS (because I certainly haven't received anything from you), plus every telephone conversation will be brought up in court - as i have recorded virtually all of them!

I have asked RBoS to pay back £2656.88 in total, close my account and call our business dealings quits. This is a small price to pay in my opinion, and to be told by you that you will not be paying back any interest to me is nothing more than a sham! RBoS have charged me over and above (in charges and interest) for the past six years (and they still continue now), how would it be taken if I refused to pay the interest?

I am sick to the back teeth of being led a merry dance up the garden path by RBoS, and thought you had more integrity than you seem to be showing!

Please prove me wrong Tommy, as I have spoken highly of you in the recent past to all at the Consumer Action Group.

So please do the right thing Tommy and show me the courtesy that I have shown you, and give me a call so we can come to some kind of conclusion before the court proceedings go too far.

Thanks in advance... yada yada yada!

what say all of you.. too strong or just right?

thanks again all..

well i guess you all thought it would've been stupid of me to send that email.. good job i didn't then eh?

..i wrote it in a fit of rage!

anyway..

i really need to get my court proceedings going but don't seem to be able to find any help on this forum (although i'm sure there must be tons of advice somewhere)?

i want to sort it all online.. so any advice people?

since i started my claim, i have paid £120+ in interest alone, and am near my OD limit again - i really don't want to pay a penny into that account ever again - what can i do about this?

thanks again.. in advance

rors

In the FAQs, very first post is a guide to claiming bank charges. Step 4 or 5 onwards is about court.....

• 3 months later...

AT LAST.. SUCCESS!!

RBoS have at last agreed to pay me back all my charges dating back to 1999!

a grand total of £2767.01 - wooHoo!

it's taken me the best part of 8 months to get them to sort it.. but they have - and i didn't even have to go to court.. it was a close shave though :)

so.. for anyone reading this who's currently fighting for what they're owed, stick in there and it'll all come up nice in the end - i hope :)

cheers to everyone here that's helped me out over the past 8 months.. without you i wouldn't have even sorted out my first letter.. never mind the great support you guys have given me ;)

so to you all i raise a glass of vimto and say.. CHEERS!

take care all.. rors