More trouble for Nationwide!! - **WON**

Bovvered
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1877 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am a single mum of four who has struggled to stay afloat with no help from kids' dad, just a small medical pension and child tax credit.

I was left with a lot of debt after my divorce, which is being managed by a debt councelling charity (free of charge), and out of my weekly income of £150, I have to pay £35 towards my debts. After all my outgoings I have a little over £50 per week on which to feed my family of 4 teenage boys.

On Saturday I received a letter from Halifax advising me that two direct debits had gone unpaid, one for £3.99 and the other for £9.45. The letter advised that they would charge me £39 for each unpaid DD, plus if my account went more than £30 o/d I would be charged another £28.00.

Well first thing yesterday morning I went into my local branch and asked for leniency as the charges seemed to me excessive in the extreme. I was told they would cancel one charge 'as a gesture of goodwill', but would not cancel the other, which will be taken from my account on Thursday of this week.

I explained to her if they did that, I would be left with the grand sum of only £11 to buy food for the week for a family of 5, and there was no way I could possibly manage that, so ti sum up, if I buy my shopping tomorrow as usual, my account will be thrown into overdraft of £40 and I will then be charged unauthorised O/D fee as well, which will have a knock effect next week. I have had 4 bank charges like this since I opened the account in 2004, (including these recent ones) and two of them have been cancelled as goodwill gestures. I really don't know what to do next. Do I take action against them now for the two amounts they didn't refund (bearing in mind there will be more once the start kicking in their unauth O/D fees?

Problem is my money is paid in not just monthly: I get child benefit on Mondays, tax credit on Wednesdays and pension end of month.

Since yesterday's meeting at the bank, I was furious and found this site, and now realise I could do something about it. It also occured to me an account I had with Nationwide which was closed in Dec 2004 because bank charges got out of control, could be brought to account.

Trouble is I am absolutely terrified at the prospect of arguing a claim to people who are experts. I forget facts very easily, go blank when under pressure and don't think I'd cope very well in court.

I really have to do something about my current situation, but I need some encouragement and support, and what's the worst thing that can happen to me, bearing in mind I am not in a position to cover any losses resulting from a lost court case?

Sorry for going on, but I am sick to my stomach about the whole thing - never knew people had been able to do something about it till yesterday...

25/06/08 - NatWest - Prelim letter

09/03/06 - Halifax - Settled 27/4

22/03/06 - Capital One - Settled 24/6

17/04/06 - Nationwide - Settled 8/9

Hit the DONATE BUTTON and give 5% back to support this site!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well go at it one step at a time and see how it goes. I am moving this thread to other institutions and we can go from there.

Do you know how much the Nationwide have taken from you?

If you don't then begin by sending them the DPA request from the library. You will have to send a £10 with it, I'm afraid but it will start you off.

Have you read the FAQs and the forum material.

Read as thoroughly as you can and understand what you are doing

Hi Bovvered,

Sorry to hear about the predicament your in, perhaps the suggestion of opening another account for your benefits to go in would be a good idea, so at least then you dont have to worry about having cash to live on.

Then go ask them to remove the charges, if they dont then file a claim to settle the account.

If i was you i would cancel the Direct Debits and just pay the bills via Pay-point to avoid any charges in future.

Good luck and keep us updated

Natasha

Abbey-received DPA letter on 13/03, received some breakdown till 2004 waiting for the more recent ones(where most charges occurred)

sent reminder email on 17/4/06

called abbey on 19/04/06 to remind them:rolleyes:

sent another email on 26/04/06:mad:

Approx charges £2500

received £500 refund in dec 06

sent LBA

Capital one- sent DPA letter 17/03

Sent prim letter for charges of £260 14/04

Received a refund £109 awaiting further refund of £151

Settled IN FULL

Barclay card- Sent DPA letter 17/03 sent reminder 14/04

received info claiming £120

settled in FULL

A friend of my mine was in a very similar situation

Her Income consisted of Child Benefit and Tax Credits but her bank nevertheless helped themselves to penalty charges they applied to her account.

After contacting the bank and explaining they had taken the money the Law says she needed to live on, without any argument they re-imbursed in full.

That's amazing, isn't it. Even Bailliffs acting on a court order would have to leave enough to live on. Water can't be cut off. there are restrictions on gas and electricty disconnnection - but the banks can go in and take the lot.

• Confused 1

A friend of my mine was in a very similar situation

Her Income consisted of Child Benefit and Tax Credits but her bank nevertheless helped themselves to penalty charges they applied to her account.

After contacting the bank and explaining they had taken the money the Law says she needed to live on, without any argument they re-imbursed in full.

Bovvered, if you call the bank and mention the above quoted by diddled they may refund the charges. :?

Natasha

Abbey-received DPA letter on 13/03, received some breakdown till 2004 waiting for the more recent ones(where most charges occurred)

Approx charges £2500

sent LBA

Settled IN FULL

settled in FULL

I would hope that if it did get as far as going to court, then the kind members of this forum would give every assistance, including coming to court with you (where are you based?). I'm also in dispute with Nationwide and hope that, if it does get to court, someone would come along with me. Please !!

£949.54 reclaimed from Nationwide June 06

I would hope that if it did get as far as going to court, then the kind members of this forum would give every assistance, including coming to court with you (where are you based?). I'm also in dispute with Nationwide and hope that, if it does get to court, someone would come along with me. Please !!

I agree, i would hope someone comes to court with me too! :wink:

I'll go with you moxie not sure how helpful i'd be though! :D

Natasha

Approx charges £2500

sent LBA

Settled IN FULL

settled in FULL

Thanks so much for your very helpful suggestions. Indeed I will mention that to the bank (about the law and what it says a person/family need to live on) - that shocked me when I realised the truth of that - yes even the council and primary debt creditors won't make you drop below that!

I am based on Oxfordshire so I should imagine I would either end up in Oxford or possibly Banbury.

The more I read, the more I am certain I want to do something about it.

Just to clarify, my op states I have issues with both Nationwide and Halifax. My current situation is with the Halifax, but reading all about you marvellous psople and what have done/are doing, made me remember the grief and charges I suffered courtesy of Nationwide. The original thread title was just 'Bricking it', but I think an admin added Nationwide because it does also concern Nationwide.

Yesterday I applied online for an account with Barclays in anticipation of what may happen once I proceed. I also still (ironically) have a dormant cashbuilder account with Nationwide but I don't think I'll be using that either!!

Thanks again - I will keep you posted - I will phone the bank (Halifax) this week but I won't tell them I plan to pursue this (to court if necessary) until I have an alternative bank account.

I guess there is nothing stopping me doing something about Nationwide - I need to request statements first (I no longer have any as this account was closed in Dec 2004) as I don't remember how much I was charged in the 4 years I had the account though it'll be in the hundred for sure.

I guess there is nothing stopping me doing something about Nationwide - I need to request statements first (I no longer have any as this account was closed in Dec 2004) as I don't remember how much I was charged in the 4 years I had the account though it'll be in the hundred for sure.

I wrote to the Customer Service Manager at the local branch using the template in the Library and 3 days later came every statement I'd ever had and I never had to pay for them. They very helpfully as well send statements with charges on seperate to the main ones which makes adding it all up much easier. :D

Please note that I am not a legal expert and all advice given is without prejudice and is purely my opinion only.

** Nationwide - £1821.15-PAID IN FULL - Aug 06 **

** Halifax Mortgage -£390 - PAID IN FULL - Nov 06 **

Lloyds TSB - MCOL issued 09/03/07 - £2953 + costs - ON HOLD....

Wow - I am really overwhelmed at how helpful everyone is being on this forum. You guys rock!!

I am beginning to feel stronger about the whole prospect already, just because of your encouragement and help.

THANKYOU ALL

Wow - I am really overwhelmed at how helpful everyone is being on this forum. You guys rock!!

I am beginning to feel stronger about the whole prospect already, just because of your encouragement and help.

THANKYOU ALL

We are all in the same boat and know exactly how your feeling, i've had a really sh!tty day today, i'm going to make a cup of tea and go to bed!

Keep us posted and if you need any advice or someone to talk to PM me!

Natasha

Approx charges £2500

sent LBA

Settled IN FULL

settled in FULL

About to post Data Protection Act disclosure request to NW today. Here we go!!

Will commence refund request regarding Halifax (my current account) as soon as I have a back up bank account in place should I need one. They are due to take another charge from my account today, but they haven't as yet. You know I'm almost willing to be they are waiting to end of business just incase I take out money and then they can slap on another charge - I will let you know if they do that.

Ok, DPA Statement request sent to NW this afternoon

• 1 month later...

Received my last 6 years' statements, nicely bound in folder with a letter all about manual intervention (very very general though), from Nationwide and they didn't charge me anything for it - I have to say well done to Mr Swailes for not being obstructive...and actually being quite helpful!

Anyhow, totalled my charges which I am astonished to find come to £650 in the four years the account was open (it was closed about 16 months ago).

So, preliminary letter done and going in the post...14 days and counting...

Hi Bovvered,

See my post Nationwide paid up!! You will get your money back sooner or later. Send your preliminary request by recorded mail to Charles Bacon and good luck.

Brian

Claim against Nationwide

6 years charges £1973

prelim letter 10 April

Charges refunded 15 April

Thanks for that note of encouragement - will definitely send it by recorded delivery - can't post till tomorrow anyway as post office closed today...

:)

Hi Bovvered, I have read you a lot in recent weeks and I have just read the background to your case and your circumstances (a single mum like me). You seem to have come a long way and have much more confidence than when you first set out. This site is amazing for making you feel empowered!

I just wanted to say well done for coming this far, it will be worth it when you get back every penny.

I am going to keep an eye on your progress x

p.s Remember the bank work for you, not the other way round.

p.s Remember the bank work for you, not the other way round.

Exactly that!!!

Long ago, people of this country forgot that.

Hopefully, this site is going some way to remind them ;-)

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

You seem to have come a long way and have much more confidence than when you first set out. This site is amazing for making you feel empowered!
You are so right about that - and all thanks to this site. I am now trying to encourage friends and family members in similar situations get over their nervousness by registering here and doing the same - it's amazing how it does empower people to strike back!

Exactly that!!!

Long ago, people of this country forgot that.

Hopefully, this site is going some way to remind them ;-)

It certainly is Dave - thanks :)

Hi Bovvered,

i have read your thread with interest, also being a single parent, of 2, with a mortgage and debts to pay. I understand fully the grief and anguish caused by Nationwide bank charges, as i had the same problem.There were several occasions i went to my local branch in tears, begging them to refund the charges. As a show of good will 2 were refunded, but the rest only caused, charges in the next and following months, causing much anguish and worry.And direct debits not going out to credit card payments, brough more charges from the credit card issuers.I have only just found this site, and have taken all the advice given and sent in today, the preliminary letter for charges.Fingers crossed.I wish you all the best and good luck with your claim, there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Cleopatra

I have only just found this site, and have taken all the advice given and sent in today, the preliminary letter for charges.Fingers crossed.I wish you all the best and good luck with your claim, there is light at the end of the tunnel.
Thanks for the encouragement - and hope your claim goes smoothly and you get it all back :)

stick at it..you will win...they will try to bully you..tell you are wasting your time..offer small payments...just listen then bang in the big one at your local court....its great when you win...im tellin ye!!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1877 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks