self employment loss and tax credits

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6166 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My OH was made redundant so set up in his own business part way through the 06/07 tax year. He had earnings from employment, JSA and then made a loss in his first months of trading. I have just filled in my final tax credits form for 06/07 and it won't allow me to put a loss in his income for self employment, I have to put 0.

My point is that it did reduce his total income by over £3500 for the year, surely they must recognise this in calculating our tax credits??? I was counting on a bit of cash from them to keep us afloat or he may have to pack in the business and go back on JSA which is in no-ones interests. He's just starting to make a profit but we are having a cashflow problem :(

Poppynurse :)

If my comments have been helpful please click my scales!!!!

Maybe if you phone the WFTC up and complete your declaration over the phone they can advise you on this. There is an option for you to complete your declaration on the phone.

Good luck.

I tried that but they just say we have to put 0 and sent me the form to sign. Has anyone experienced a similar problem?

Poppynurse :)

If my comments have been helpful please click my scales!!!!