help needed damp problem and deposit

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6134 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi all, moved into a bungalow around 6mths ago apparently the place had not been lived in for a few years so while the place was empty the landlord decided to add an extension to the property, so we moved in and after a few weeks we noticed black mould (damp) developing in the corners for the original outside wall and running along to skirting board, so we contacted the landlord, who eventually got some ppl out to check the pipes in the loft(wtf). then afew weeks l8r our now 16month old developed quite a bad virus cold type thing which the doctor felt needed an immediate visit to the childrens ward at the local hospital ( landlord does not know about this), when we got home we pulled away his cot from hes bedroom wall and suprise bad damp mould stuff, so foned the landlord again and he got someone to test and look at the damp, he went away then the landlord foned and said it was our washing machine causing it, the washing machine is in the new back part of the place and the mould is at the front original part of the place all on outside walls, so yesterday a man came round wanting to check and foto graph the patchs and basically admitted the washing machine wasnt the cause and said something needed to be done, then this morning w got our eviction notice, foned letting agency they said we had done nothing wrong he needed it back for buissnes perposes, when questioned about our deposit and the damp the reply was you may get alittle bit back ( so there trying to stich us up), i did forget to mention the landlord was constantly hassling us for our contents insurance policy number because he say its our fault and the insurance should pay ( we dont have contents insurance the was nothing about it in the agreement).

sorry for the long post but just wanted opinions and advice.

Thanx guys

scott

Firstly if damage caused by damp it will come under building insurance not contents insurance. The buildings insurance is the responsibility of the landlord. Does the building have damp coursing in the brickwork outside, if not i would say thats your problem

yes it does but at most of the points around the house that we are suffering damp the wall on the outside have been re pointed , also the the property looks like it has suffered subsidence, whould this be a contibuting faxctor

I would move out of that place.....

if you really want to stay, get a report from a damp proofing company. They should give a free estimate and report....

Also, open the windows, many double glazed add to damp problems....

Without having the property surveyed i really wouldnt like to say. Subsidence and damp will be determined from a survey but its not your responsibilty to have this carried out. What makes you think the property has suffered subsidence? If it is cracks you see, subsidence cracks are normally 1mm or more wide and are quite often wider at the top than at the bottom.

There are three main causes of damp, Rising, Penetrating and Condensation all of which can be costly to put right.

There is also the Building Regulations it has a number of stipulations that must be fulfilled when adding to an already exisiting property.

I can give you as much advice as i can but i think your best bet is to leave. That property could have untold problems and you really dont need the hassle. You could walk away and initially lose your deposit but then you may have the option of taking the landlord to court and claiming for damages.

CIOB Surveyor.

Oh another thing, a older property may have damp coursing but it will become defective over time. When damp coursing is defective the damp will not normally rise anymore than 1 metre up the wall. Is there salt deposits on the walls? This is another clue for rising damp. When water rises up the wall and evaporates it leaves salt deposits

hi all thanx for the replys, the think that makes me think subsidence is that the are cracks (big cracks) all over the ceiling that have been filled in but u can see that the sections where the ceilings have cracked are very uneven , like bits have shifted

but the point remains why should i have to pay for damp , my only opition is to not pay the last months rent i have a family to think of and i should not have to pay for the poorly maintained building i rent , there damp there problem, also when i first moved in it took a good few months to even warm the place up , to which i have a hugh gas bill.

thanx all

also i forgot to add the cracks running across the ceiling also run down the walls , and even the cracks on the walls run for a fareay ( in other words not ur usuall 4cm hairline cracks but between 1-5 foot)

Looks like everyone is telling you to leave the property. I agree!

However, I do recommend that you get a damp proof report, you did mention that the landlord was trying to get you to stich you up for damp problems by stating it is a washing machines etc.. if you have a damp orof report, it will show the cause of problems relate to the property and not you. And if you get grief to get your deposit back etc... you have the report, plus it might help the landlord figure out the problem and help his next tenant.

Also, I think your landlord is trying to come to terms with the fact that his property has damp problems and is trying to look for someone else to pay e.g. insurance etc...

You might of just answered your own question!

You say it took ages to heat the place up and you have a huge 'gas' bill. Gas causes untold condensation problems if the property is not ventilated properly and will cause damp.

With regards to subsidence just because you have cracks in the ceiling that does not mean subsidence. Buildings expand and retract with weather conditions it is normal for cracks to appear in corners of walls, above doorways, in ceiling etc and they can be massive. Cracks in the ceiling, in my experience are probably not related to subsidence

thanx for ur input but when very wide cracks run from one side of the room to the other side ( thisd is on the ceiling ) in all the room at the front of the original property i think its indicates a problem

Yeah, out rented property is similar to yours. Basically the place is falling down; damp, rot, no heating (oil heaters for winter - bloody frezzin!). But the rent is cheap, we're out in the country and the landlord is laid back. However we will be moving out soon and will expect our deposit back. Hopefully the deteriation of the propetry (which he is aware of) won't effect us getting our money back.