BAILIFFADVICE......An apology from HERBIE......

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6120 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Herbie i av praised you many times,you have given out good free advice BUT the use of a premium number for commercial gain cannot be good for any debtor who struggles even to feed their kids,and believe me i have been down that road.

you say that a free link is available, if this was made clear a long time ago then perhaps the views of many would be different to what it is now.

Bookworm and Calvi are right in their statements,and that premium number is paying your wages you can't deny that.

Ref the law pack costs,i'm sure that on a ratio of sales compared to how many people ring your number you would win hands down,and this site is a lot bigger to maintain than yours,so yes i agree with Bookworm that there is no financial gain.

setmefree

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would just like to put my two pence worth in, Herbie has helped me no end and for free. and her site has helped me out no end. I cannot see how charging for a document for £6.00 is profitable, this is far cheaper in comparison to many other sites with down loadable documents etc, who charge £10 plus. You must remember here that websites cost money to build and to run I should know I run two and rely on donations to keep them going, plus the cost of the phone calls returned with regards to certain matters related to Herbies website. I know that Herbie helps many many people on here free of charge. I thought this site was about uniting to help people in a common cause. And all links with advice should be posted here so people have that oppertunity to choose what advice they take.

Hi seanamarts, may i firstly say that i have also praised Herbie for the fact of helping people for free,you state that Herbie has helped you out,yes agreed but so have many others.

secondly a site such as Herbie's would attract at least 80 calls a day to that premium number this inturn would accumulate £480 revenue per day,so it would be profitable.

Third you state that you also have two website's that rely on donation's to keep them running,a donation is a gift of kindness and support which i for one fully support.

However your site quite clearly states prints for sale,this in turn creates a commercial gain.

We are all here to give FREE advice including Herbie,but advertising for a commercial gain is against the site's rules.so i'm sorry seanamarts but your link in your profile would also be against the site's rules.

I hope this clarifies matters for you.

setmefree

Hi seanamarts, may i firstly say that i have also praised Herbie for the fact of helping people for free,you state that Herbie has helped you out,yes agreed but so have many others.

secondly a site such as Herbie's would attract at least 80 calls a day to that premium number this inturn would accumulate £480 revenue per day,so it would be profitable.

Third you state that you also have two website's that rely on donation's to keep them running,a donation is a gift of kindness and support which i for one fully support.

However your site quite clearly states prints for sale,this in turn creates a commercial gain.

We are all here to give FREE advice including Herbie,but advertising for a commercial gain is against the site's rules.so i'm sorry seanamarts but your link in your profile would also be against the site's rules.

I hope this clarifies matters for you.

setmefree

firstly let me clear up matters with regards to my website. Prints on my site only went up for sale after I had put a link to my site, and i will gladly take down the link to that particular website if it causes a problem having it there, I actually infact forgot that I had even put it in here as I signed up many months ago. it seems to be a habit now when I sign up for sites to automatically place my website as I have had it for many years, and selling my pictures is not trying to sell advice. I could be wrong though

People have a choice whether to call these numbers that herbie has on her site plus have a choice in whether they wish to download templates etc, Herbie has information at hand on her site that many have to wait for here not that I am saying this is a slow site but people who need advice instantly can read it from Herbies very easy to follow website with regards to Bailiffs. I understand what you are saying like I said I'm just putting in my two pence worth.

Hi seanamarts thank you for your reply and for offering to remove link.;)

When a person signs up to CAG they have to read the terms and conditions,one of the conditions is not to advertise a link etc etc which would lead to a gain, I understand what you are saying about Herbie's free help and i agree with you,but the fact still remains that the link in question goes against the original accepted terms whilst signing up.:)

:?:

Hi seanamarts thank you for your reply and for offering to remove link.;)

When a person signs up to CAG they have to read the terms and conditions,one of the conditions is not to advertise a link etc etc which would lead to a gain, I understand what you are saying about Herbie's free help and i agree with you,but the fact still remains that the link in question goes against the original accepted terms whilst signing up.:)

just to clear up any confusion links to the prints for sale have now been removed from my website:D

Hi Herbie you sent me a PM insisting on an apology for my statement that your premium line does not make no where near as i stated, and you have corrected me in stating that it makes on average £12.00 a day.

you also state that you doubt i would be forthcoming with my apology,you are wrong.

SORRY

You also stated about BankFodder and his selling online.

quote.

I can see that there is merit in not allowing links to site. However if you have read my post carefully you will see that Bankfooder himself is clearly advertising a driving kit provided by a firm of solicitors. Please dont tell me that that is a charity, because it is not. If you look at the nuber of viewers to the post there are nearly 7,500. Does this mean that the turnover of that product is £81,000, possibly, but probaly not. I had even offered a commission to CAG from any links, but this was refused.

I do admit sometimes i am wrong ,but i also make an apology if i am, i have praised you Herbie for your free advice.

As for mistakes can you remember when i P.M'd you about a Bailiff's certificate,you were quick to give me back the info that the bailiff was certificated,But not for the company he represented,and you also advised me that i should contact this Bailiff and make him aware of the fact,I did contact the Bailiff about this fact and he went mad on me,he stated that he was legit even gave me the courts number and the name of the person at the court who would confirm it,i phoned the court and they did indeed confirm that he was quite correct.

I made a humbly said sorry to the Bailiff,he accepted my apology infact he said it's water under the bridge,he did ask me where i got my info from and i just replied through a source.

I did not ask you for an apology and still do not,reason being i make my own decisions,and if i mess up i correct them.

setmefree.

I honestly don't think Herbies motivation to charge is a get rich quick scheme - rather an inordinate amount of time & energy has been invested into the site & information contained therin - which in order to function proffesionaly HAS to cover its ongoing costs. but good luck to her - whats wrong with making a living?

Herbie has given LOTS of people excellent free & public advice on this forum - and should be recognised as a leading expert in this field - some people write books, some people write websites....

The choice is ultimately the consumers whether to pay the fee - but CAG is denying them the opportunity to make the decision

How long has the CAG been going? & the Bailiff section began life only a few months ago - how many CAG users actually donate a % of the bank charges or bailiffs fees they have managed to reclaim or save? Surely CAG is a ltd co and has to cover its costs by selling email addresses, envelope stickers & reselling motoring packs. Presumably a choice was made to give away the information on banks to attract the users - however an alternative approach could have been to sell a bank letter download section - see the comparison?...

Herbies site has not appeared out of thin air - theres a lot of hard work gone into it

It has taken me 4 years to get a basic understanding of bailiff law relating to parking tickets alone - the information required is now spread across the internet on sites like the one i run LMAG (voluntary btw) although like CAG we accept donations.

In order to be able to arm yourself with knowledge you have to trawl through forum posts & websites to acquire the means to defend yourself - this takes a lot of time & energy - whats wrong with buying your ammunition? knowledge is a valuable thing - don't discount the not unreasonable concept of paying a few £s to save yourself potentially a lot more..

Good Luck Herbie - Keep up the good work

Guest HONESTLY
Please re-read my post, I said OR, citing examples, and clearly established that yours was because of the commercial link.

As for the prices you charge, I didn't say anything about being fair, I said CAG doesn't allow links to commercial sites.

Incorrect.

CAG purchases the Lawpacks and resells them at a slight profit so as to cover CAG's running costs, since the level of donations is far from sufficient. We're fast reaching the 150 000 users, and have an average 800 people on the forum at all times, and it takes a lot of money to keep a forum that size running smoothly, to keep giving FREE information and support.

then why not start charging the obvious.

ps:unapprove this post as well as you seem to have a habit of doing this

I have really tried to keep out of this and I for one have found Herbie to be helpful and informative.

However, I for one am not lazy and am always utterly willing to help anybody at anytime with the info that I have learnt and researched.

Honestly, what is your motivation, websites can set the rules and regs that they want, on one that I go on they will not allow competitor words to be used, cos they fund the website that is their perogative.

Rules is rules, and due to rules we get to fight our corner as consumers.

SFx

I have unapproved several posts in this thread. Some have been removed because of their content and some because the had the OP in the reply. If you have any problem please contact me via PM. Thank you.

Guest Herbie

In Reply to Bookworm's post No12.

As you have advised, CAG will happily provide links to CAB, CCCS and others. One of these I know of course to be NATIONAL DEBTLINE. This company as you are probaly all aware have 74 companies that provide funding to them. These range from Alliance & Leicester, British Banking Association, Barclays Bank, HSBC, Halifax, Nationwide Building Society, Nat West, Royal Bank of Scotland & Yorkshire Bank and many others.....

So I decided to telephone them to ask the following questions.

Question 1.

How much can the bailiff charge me for collection of an unpaid Parking Charge Notice.

Answer:

We only provide details of the fees that bailiffs can charge for the collection of Council Tax only !!!

Question:

I have an unpaid TV licence that has resulted in a fine in the Magistrates Court, how much can the bailiff charge me

Answer:

As magistrate court fees are not covered by Statutory Regulations, you will need to contact each individual court who are allowed to agree privately with their relevant bailiff companies the fees that can be charged.

--------------------

As anyone who has read my posts will know, this second answer is simply incorrect. For those who have not read my posts, the enforcement of Magistrate Courts Fines were awarded to 3 companies by HMCS in April 2006.These are Drakes Group Ltd, Philips Collection, & Swift Credit Services.

The fees are set by HMCS and vary between each company and vary also for the different area that they work. Full details are of course on my site.......and so too are the details of the fee scales for the collection of unpaid PCN's, Congestion Charges, Child Support Agency, Council Tax, Inland Revenue collection, and many more.

And I am proud to say that these charges listed on my website came by way of a huge amount of time and research......and without funding by 74 of the largest financial institutions in the country. Do I feel guilty for charging a nominal fee of just £6 for this information?.....not likely.

PS: NATIONAL DEBTLINE did say that they are aware of a link to a website that DOES provide the fees that bailiffs can charge........which just so happens to be my website !!!!

Interesting to note, they do have a freephone number 0808 808 4000!

Freefone 0800/0808 - enables Business customers to be called free of charge from anywhere in the UK. The Customer makes a payment to BT for each Call.

Operative 28 Oct 2005NB - Certain Network Operators (e.g Mobile Operators and Payphone renters) may charge callers for access to Freefone numbers.

BT 0845 - Let new and existing customers contact you for no more than 4p per minute (inc VAT) on the BT network no matter where they are in the UK. Mobile and other network costs may vary.

Operative 8 May 2006BT 0870 - Let new and existing customers contact you for no more than 8p per minute (inc VAT) on the BT network no matter where they are in the UK. Mobile and other network costs may vary.

TYPE OF CALL

Time per meter pulse ©

(equivalent to 4.2p Ex. VAT in value)

daytime

Mon-Fri 6am-6pm

evenings & night-time

Mon-Fri before 6am & after 6pm

weekend

All Day Sat & Sun

Secs

Secs

Secs

ff11-Calls to Premium Rate Services

ff12-Calls to Premium Rate Services

ff13-Calls to Premium Rate Services

ff14-Calls to Premium Rate Services

ff16-Calls to Premium Rate Services

ff17-Calls to Premium Rate Services

ff18-Calls to Premium Rate Services

ff19-Calls to Premium Rate Services

ff20-Calls to Premium Rate Services

ff21-Calls to Premium Rate Services

ff24-Calls to Premium Rate Services

ff25-Calls to Premium Rate Services

ff26-Calls to Premium Rate Services

ff27-Calls to Premium Rate Services

ff30-Calls to Premium Rate Services

ff32-Calls to Premium Rate Services

NOTE THAT THESE CALL CHARGES ARE PER SECOND AND NOT PER MINUTE. This is the only reason I took umbridge to the link Herbie, otherwise your advice is solid.

Guest Herbie

With funding from 74 of the largest financial organisations in the country I should damned well hope that they don't charge !!!

Guest Herbie

Let me make this clear, our NOMINAL charge is set at £6. We are perfectely entitled to charge a maximim of £10 per call , but mindful of the huge strain that this could cause to some people we instead set our price at a NOMINAL £6.

It is worked at at £1.50 per minute and that is dictated by the length only of the message. That is it, no hidden charges.

NATIONAL DEBTLINE as you so clearly have pointed out, do not make a charge for ringing them, HOWEVER instead of trying to justify your silly arguments to me today, you should instead check your facts. Yes, there is no charge to telephone National Debtline. However, BT does not offer a free line. Instead Nationaldebtline have TO PAY 5p PER MINUTE to BT for every call made to their company.

Please assure me that you are not seriously trying to say that I should copy this example !!!

PS: At least by paying a nominal fee on my site....you get the correct information.....

You are entitled to charge what you want, and people are entitled to pay for your advice if they want. Your site, your rules.

People have jumped on this thread to defend your site's decision to charge for information, and others to criticise it. I'd like to point out that I have made no such comment one way or another, and will repeat what I have said from the start: CAG does not permit outside commercial links. CAG's site, CAG's rules.

I'd be grateful if people would simply respect the site owner's decisions. You are all guests of people who are providing this great site at no expense to yourselves, and it is common courtesy. Seanamarts, I note your action and thank you for it. :-)

Let me make this clear, our NOMINAL charge is set at £6. We are perfectely entitled to charge a maximim of £10 per call , but mindful of the huge strain that this could cause to some people we instead set our price at a NOMINAL £6.

It is worked at at £1.50 per minute and that is dictated by the length only of the message. That is it, no hidden charges.

NATIONAL DEBTLINE as you so clearly have pointed out, do not make a charge for ringing them, HOWEVER instead of trying to justify your silly arguments to me today, you should instead check your facts. Yes, there is no charge to telephone National Debtline. However, BT does not offer a free line. Instead Nationaldebtline have TO PAY 5p PER MINUTE to BT for every call made to their company.

Please assure me that you are not seriously trying to say that I should copy this example !!!

PS: At least by paying a nominal fee on my site....you get the correct information.....

When I first viewed your site Herbie, I was thinking, this looks like a great source of information. If you recollect I had actually stated that any site that aids cag members is useful. Then I changed my opinion completely upon finding the 090 number. The reasoning behind this is as I have previously posted. I am not at all against you covering your costs and making a profit, that is what happens in business. I am however 100% against links to profit making organisations placed on CAG. As I stated earlier in this thread this is why I took umbridge to your link and completely agreed with the mods decision to have it removed. For me and this is my personal opinion, if you have bailiffs coming for you then £6.00 does nothing more than make the poor poorer. If you were to offer this advice and documents FOC on CAG then I would do nothing but applaud you. I would like to add that at no point have I attempted to justify my "silly arguments" to you. I have stated facts, ie cost of premium rate calls, why it is against CAG rules to link etc. Maybe i should just dress in a smok, doc martin boots and a pink tu tu, run round the house shouting goony goo goo, now that would be "silly"!

As for nationaldebtline being funded by finance houses etc. This is correct. However look a bit deeper, if someone calls a finance house for advice and they have been advised by nationaldebtline already then the finance house will be in a better position to get their money that they believe they are owed as their client will hopefully have been advised correctly, the client will also hopefully have been advised correctly so that they know where they stand with the finance house. So in the case of a finance house, as this service is impartial then by donating towards it they have a means to an end, it saves them selling the debt on doesnt it.

Just to state nationaldebtline is a registered charity and it is fulsubject to audit by the charities commission, it is funded purely with donations. I would also refer you to OFT and dca's etc, clients should not be forced to call premium rate numbers, ie 0870 which is far cheaper than 090!

I believe I have stood by my own morals here, that's why I give people alternate numbers to 0870 etc and in certain cases direct numbers and names of the contact. That is also why I offer all advice I give FOC, all documents FOC. If your service was 100% free then I do not think CAG would have a problem with your link, perhaps you should try it the CAG way and say donations are welcome.

Guest HONESTLY
When I first viewed your site Herbie, I was thinking, this looks like a great source of information. If you recollect I had actually stated that any site that aids cag members is useful. Then I changed my opinion completely upon finding the 090 number. The reasoning behind this is as I have previously posted. I am not at all against you covering your costs and making a profit, that is what happens in business. I am however 100% against links to profit making organisations placed on CAG. As I stated earlier in this thread this is why I took umbridge to your link and completely agreed with the mods decision to have it removed. For me and this is my personal opinion, if you have bailiffs coming for you then £6.00 does nothing more than make the poor poorer. If you were to offer this advice and documents FOC on CAG then I would do nothing but applaud you. I would like to add that at no point have I attempted to justify my "silly arguments" to you. I have stated facts, ie cost of premium rate calls, why it is against CAG rules to link etc. Maybe i should just dress in a smok, doc martin boots and a pink tu tu, run round the house shouting goony goo goo, now that would be "silly"!

As for nationaldebtline being funded by finance houses etc. This is correct. However look a bit deeper, if someone calls a finance house for advice and they have been advised by nationaldebtline already then the finance house will be in a better position to get their money that they believe they are owed as their client will hopefully have been advised correctly, the client will also hopefully have been advised correctly so that they know where they stand with the finance house. So in the case of a finance house, as this service is impartial then by donating towards it they have a means to an end, it saves them selling the debt on doesnt it.

Just to state nationaldebtline is a registered charity and it is fulsubject to audit by the charities commission, it is funded purely with donations. I would also refer you to OFT and dca's etc, clients should not be forced to call premium rate numbers, ie 0870 which is far cheaper than 090!

I believe I have stood by my own morals here, that's why I give people alternate numbers to 0870 etc and in certain cases direct numbers and names of the contact. That is also why I offer all advice I give FOC, all documents FOC. If your service was 100% free then I do not think CAG would have a problem with your link, perhaps you should try it the CAG way and say donations are welcome.

Calvi mate. If you can not make your mind up the first time then i can actually say your posts should mention what you think as clearly you cannot make your mind up.

Guest HONESTLY
With funding from 74 of the largest financial organisations in the country I should damned well hope that they don't charge !!!

Bet none of them are bailiff companies !!!! even though they are the ones who repo houses and so on behalf of the financial companies !!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok Herbie once again no one is critising you as a person,the advice you have given on this site to many is good.

The premium number issue will not be resolved regardless of arguements and facts,at the end of the day it's against site rules and that's the end of the story,so it's pointless to continue any debates about it.

with ref to BankFodder doing the same as you i disagree,the sale of law packs etc etc are totally different, i.e.each pack is purchased at a unit price, where as your database is already established, it only has to be updated with research.

setmefree:)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6120 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks