Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4961 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

ok,

i have been reading a lot of these threads lately as my girlfriend has an issue with outstanding council tax from last year, not sure of the amount but around £300.

about 10 days ago she started to receive threatening letters from equita. Following advice on here, and as the charges looked inflated, i wrote to equita on behalf of my girlfirend, explaining her finanacial position and offering a payment plan in line with her available funds and such as not to jeopardies current payments on council tax. I also disputed their charges and asked for a detailed break down, and advised that until i received this any payments would be made directly to the council.(£150 being paid tomorrow)

I wrote to the council along the same lines and enclosed a copy of the letter to equita

i also stated we did not dispute the debt and were not refusing topay, just looking for a payment plan she could afford.

that was 5 days ago and no response. During that time she has phoned the bailiff to advise him of the situation and left messages which he has not bothered to return.

today she received two letters the first by royal mail , one deliverd by hand threatening removal of goods in the next 24 hours, she called equita who hung up on her, and called the bailiff who was very aggressive and abusive. He laughed at her and said he will come tomorrow and kick down the door and take goods as he has a walk in possesion order..oh and they added on about ANOTHER £200

i have tried to reassure her as to what they are allowed to do but she is in total panic...

no am i right in saying.

1. he must produce a current certificate and id card for the company he works for

2 Advise him that they have written communication that the charges are disputed and until that point any payments will be made directly to the council.

3 He must make a levvy of goods first , having gained peacable entry into the premises which would have had to be signed by my partner, and without this he does not have a walk in possession order. Therefor He cannot remove goods.

4 i should call the council and advise them of the behaviour of the bailiff causing distress to my girlfriend who is not well...(she had to go and have a brain scan today and know this !!)and ask them to take back the debt?

right now it looks like i may have to stay at home tomorrow and deal with this... i want to make sure i am on solid ground with my facts when i speak to this low life...

:D Actions in progress

Natw West on hold pending test case

LLoyds claim 3 on hold pending test case,

:lol:Claims Settled

LLOYDS TSB x 2 WON,

MBNA WON,

A&L WON,

GE Money x 2 WON , c

o-op visa WON, capital one visa WON,

Halifax (o/h) WON,

capquest, WON

ok,

i have been reading a lot of these threads lately as my girlfriend has an issue with outstanding council tax from last year, not sure of the amount but around £300.

about 10 days ago she started to receive threatening letters from equita. Following advice on here, and as the charges looked inflated, i wrote to equita on behalf of my girlfirend, explaining her finanacial position and offering a payment plan in line with her available funds and such as not to jeopardies current payments on council tax. I also disputed their charges and asked for a detailed break down, and advised that until i received this any payments would be made directly to the council.(£150 being paid tomorrow)

I wrote to the council along the same lines and enclosed a copy of the letter to equita

i also stated we did not dispute the debt and were not refusing topay, just looking for a payment plan she could afford.

that was 5 days ago and no response. During that time she has phoned the bailiff to advise him of the situation and left messages which he has not bothered to return.

today she received two letters the first by royal mail , one deliverd by hand threatening removal of goods in the next 24 hours, she called equita who hung up on her, and called the bailiff who was very aggressive and abusive. He laughed at her and said he will come tomorrow and kick down the door(THAT'S CRIMINAL DAMAGE)and take goods as he has a walk in possesion order..oh and they added on about ANOTHER £200

i have tried to reassure her as to what they are allowed to do but she is in total panic...

no am i right in saying.

1. he must produce a current certificate and id card for the company he works for(YES HE MUST AND YOU CAN CHECK IT)

2 Advise him that they have written communication that the charges are disputed and until that point any payments will be made directly to the council.

3 He must make a levvy of goods first , having gained peacable entry into the premises which would have had to be signed by my partner,(VERY CORRECT) and without this he does not have a walk in possession order. Therefor He cannot remove goods.

4 i should call the council and advise them of the behaviour of the bailiff causing distress to my girlfriend who is not well...(she had to go and have a brain scan today and know this !!)and ask them to take back the debt?(DON'T CALL THEM GO TO THEM ALONG WITH THE LETTER THESE IDIOTS GAVE YOU)

right now it looks like i may have to stay at home tomorrow and deal with this... i want to make sure i am on solid ground with my facts when i speak to this low life...

(DO NOT LET THIS THUG INTO YOUR GIRLFRIENDS PROPERTY)

Call the police if you have to,and tell them that he is threatening to break your door down.

1. he must produce a current certificate and id card for the company he works for - Yes he must produce this and should in fact offer them immediatley

2 Advise him that they have written communication that the charges are disputed and until that point any payments will be made directly to the council. - Yes and that you need a full break down of charges

3 He must make a levvy of goods first , having gained peacable entry into the premises which would have had to be signed by my partner, and without this he does not have a walk in possession order. Therefor He cannot remove goods.- Yes and DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES LET HIM IN.

4 i should call the council and advise them of the behaviour of the bailiff causing distress to my girlfriend who is not well...(she had to go and have a brain scan today and know this !!)and ask them to take back the debt? - She should be classed as vulnerable and I am sure that stress would be not good for her condition, you could give your GP permission to give basic details of her condition to the council if they so need it.

Let us know how it goes

SFx

I really do not understand what sort of a wimp/bully gets off on behaving like this with anyone, let alone a female. The advice given by Saffronflowers is spot on. Take no crap and if he attempts to force entry without having previously gained peaceful entry tell her to ring 999.

Why are these thugs allowed to behave like this. do they think they are above the law. they think nothing of it, about picking on women. I feel physically sick when I read posts like this. Good luck I really hope you get it sorted. People on this forum are brilliant they have helped me no end

Guest Herbie

Could you please find out the name of the bailiff and pm me so that I can let you know whether or not he is certificated. No names on the site please. Could you also let me know which local authority we are talking about.

This behaviour is totally and utterly unacceptable. Once details of the bailiff are know it would be wise to inform Equita that you have written down word for word the exchange of correspondence with their bailiff and that you are considering making a formal complaint about the bailiffs conduct to Northampton County Court where the bailiff would have gained his cert.

thanks all for your replies... i was pretty confident in what i was saying haveing been reading all of your postings on other threads, unfortunately she was less confident...she was in such a state that i had to leave college and go to hers in case he came back.

your replies reassured me that i was correct in my understanding of what they are allowed to do. Also checked out th efacts on national debtline website from one of the links. very useful

so, to update you... the bully never came around in the end last night. This morning i went to the birmingham city council tax oofices in watreloo street. I paid £150 towards the arrears. I paid it at the cashiers desk even though there were signs there saying any arrears in the hands of the bailiff equita should be paid directly to them on the 5th floor. (yes Equita are in the same building as council tax services!).

I ignored it and paid over the counter.

i took a ticket and queued to see a customer services advisor. I basically stated i knew they couldnt to about specifics as it was my GF's poll tax and data protection act but asked if they could talk to me in general terms.. (GF to stressed out by it all to go up there).

i gave her an overview of what had gone on re the intimidation and abuse by the bailiffs, failure to produce certifcates, failure to provide details of the charges levied dates times amounts, refusal to discuss payment plans and outright threats to kick down the door etc. also pointed out my partners ill health, and her older sons ill helath casuing her further worries if the bailiff turns up (her son who lives at home 23 has a degenarative gentic condition, causing him constant pain, he is very weak and frail for a 23 year old), Told her of the letters sent to Equita ands council re disputed charges , offer of payment plan etc to be paid directly to the council as charges were in dispute, and £150 just paid, twice the amount my gf comitted to for the first payment.

the advisor said she could talk in general terms, and it would probably be exactly what they would be saying to my GF anyway. no they cannot forceably enter, no they cannot remove goods unless e levvy has been made and they have a walk in possesion order signed by my GF (which they dont). Advised that we should not to let in the bailiffs, we do not have to let them in. She said tthey may try and clamp any vehicles to levvy distress, but i told her my GF car leased, which it is, and needed for work so they couldnt do this. In respect to payment, we dont have to pay the bailiff and if they cant collect any moneys they return it to the council who pass it on to a "more strict bailiff" , bristol and suitor. re the threats and intimidation worringly enough , she simply said "well that bailiffs for you, at the end of the day thats what they are the heavy mob". Admittedly she didnt seem to have too much sympathy for them. Although they prefer you to pay the bailiffs they cant stop you from paying the council directly over the counter, and once the debt is settled then there are no charges as the debt doesn't exist for the bailiff to collect!

i pointed out they had put £200 in charges on, she wasnt really aware of what they are allowed to charge (i satetd £24.5 for first visit , £18 for second and thats all) but again said no debt then no charges.

Finally she confirmed the balance, was £350.75 less £150 just paid leaving an outsanding balance of just £200 .

Equita had been asking for £391, and then for the huge task of pushing a letter through the doora further £200 has been added. so in all they have added on £241!!!!

so about to write another letter to Equita, and to the council complaining about their conduct.

once again thanks for all the support:)

LLOYDS TSB x 2 WON,

MBNA WON,

A&L WON,

GE Money x 2 WON , c

Halifax (o/h) WON,

capquest, WON

i jisy spok to the bailiff in charge, advising him that the payments are being made directly to the council. Also made him aware that we are aware that he cannot gain entry to the premises by forceable means. He agreed that he has to gain entry by peaceable means but that doesnt mean he needs to be invited in. when i asked him to ellaborate on how he could gain peacable entry without being invited in he would not elaborate.

I advised him that his charges we disputed by letter over a week ago and that until any charge swere proved to be both lawful and vaild they would not be paid and that all money would be paid directly to the council.

he stated that the charges are lawful and valid, so i simply pointed out that is what they had been asked to prove. When questioned about the £200 he stated it was for a van to remove goods. I challenged him saying that you cannot charge for a van if you do not have a levvy of goods in the first place. He states doesnt need a levvy of goods or walk in posession order to remove goods and can charge for the van if he wants.

so at that point i told him any further communication will be in writing copies to teh council.

so what next?

LLOYDS TSB x 2 WON,

MBNA WON,

A&L WON,

GE Money x 2 WON , c

Halifax (o/h) WON,

capquest, WON

i He agreed that he has to gain entry by peaceable means but that doesnt mean he needs to be invited in. when ia sked him to ellaborate on how he could gain peacable entry without being invited in he would not elaborate.

They could gain 'peaceful ' entry through an unlocked door or window. So if he tried a door and it was unlocked he could open it and walk in. Standard advice is not only don't let them in but also doors & windows shut & locked

They could gain 'peaceful ' entry through an unlocked door or window. So if he tried a door and it was unlocked he could open it and walk in. Standard advice is not only don't let them in but also doors & windows shut & locked

i had that exact thouhg after posting. already told her to tell he sons to keep all doors and windows shut for the time being.

LLOYDS TSB x 2 WON,

MBNA WON,

A&L WON,

GE Money x 2 WON , c

Halifax (o/h) WON,

capquest, WON

So what next...? Carry on exactly as you have been, you're a perfect CAG user - someone who actually reads threads through, gets a general idea and then posts questions for clarification :)

Fend the bailiff off until you've paid the arrears with the council. He is entitled to visit fees (IF he's certificated), if he's actually made the visits - as you said above, £24 for the first, £18 for the second. He can't charge 'what he likes'; you seem to realise that's an empty threat so you don't need reassurance there. As long as he doesn't gain entry and knows that the car is leased then he can't really do much at all. Bristol and Sutor are just another firm of bailiffs, debts will often 'hop' from one firm to another if the preceding ones don't get anywhere with the debtor.

Your girlfriend can also make a complaint to the council (in writing, recorded) about the behaviour of the bailiff in question. Put it all as you put it to the customer services advisor (she sounded like a waste of space, tbh) and request that the council officially take back the debt because of the bailiff's breach of council codes of conduct.

-----

Click the scales if I've been useful! :)

thanks for the reply demon.

i have already drafted a letter of complaint to the council on her behalf, detailing everytining that has gone on, requesting the council recall the debt and take it under their own management, exactly as you suggest. Also asked them to consider the letter a formal complaint against Equita and the bailiff in question (who is certificated, thanks herbie for checking that out:) ) Will get her to read and sign it later and send it recorded delivery tomorrow.

she has got together another £100 of family and i will give her £100 tomorow as i get paid ( ther goes me putting in a bank charges claim for 2 weeks:( but this is morre improtant right now), so she can clear the debt asap and not give them any excuse to continue chasing her.

he stated he will still carry on chasing his "costs incurred". Well, they only made one visit when they pushed a letter through the door. He claims he attended with a van..funny how nobody on any of these threads ever seems to be in when the "van" comes around??:confused:

so i just need to check out the correct way of challenging them if he continues when the debt is either recalled or settled

LLOYDS TSB x 2 WON,

MBNA WON,

A&L WON,

GE Money x 2 WON , c

Halifax (o/h) WON,

capquest, WON

well no call or visits since i challenged the bailiff. letter sent to the council, one to council tax customer services, one to revenues and payments just to make sure i get the right department lodging ooficial complaint against the bailiffs.Also e mailed it as well!!!

paid two hundred pounds direct to the council today via post office counters, so the debt is actually cleared now.

so no for a letter to the bailiff advising them that i have complained to the council about them and their staff. i will also point out agian that i know what they are aallowed to charge so will basically only being paying for one visit, and i will not be paying for a van that (a) never came, and (b) cannot be charged for as even if it did attend as there has never been a levvy of goods.

LLOYDS TSB x 2 WON,

MBNA WON,

A&L WON,

GE Money x 2 WON , c

Halifax (o/h) WON,

capquest, WON

Thanks SP, have done as you advised.

my G/f received another letter from Equita today advising that they have passd the matter onto their enforcement department... and increasing the strngthof the threats..

phoned the contact number and advised them that debt has been paid in full direct to council. Having already checked again on national debtline site what they could charge for, I asked them to confirm their charges, and they confirmed these charges as £41 to cover one visit and correspondence..it would appear that the charges for the "alleged" attendance of a van have disappeared since i challenged them.

it makes me mad to think that others less well advised and without the support of such a great site and knolwedge of our great members would have shelled out that extra £200 and probably much more along the way, down to fear and panic resulting from thsi intimidation. I know my G/F would have if i was not telling her otherwise.

thanks all for your help:)

LLOYDS TSB x 2 WON,

MBNA WON,

A&L WON,

GE Money x 2 WON , c

Halifax (o/h) WON,

capquest, WON

• 2 weeks later...

well, nearly 2 weeks on, and today my GF received two letters from equita, the usual bs you have failed to contact us (so what about the two letters recorded delivery and the sevn phone calls ?)both threatening to send round a removals team to remove goods re the council tax debt.

the debt was paid in full two weeks ago, and equitas charges (reduced from £291 to £41 under challenge from me).

i phoned the call line and was told they will keep chasing it until the councilrecall it. i advised the guy i spoke to that debt settled in full, charges settled in full, so wont be paying any further charges.

so tomorrow i will call and write to the council on behalf of my gf asking why they have not recalled this debt after the original complaint of harrassment bullying and general abusive behaviour of equita, and furthermore why have they still not recalled the debt as it is now settled.

copy to local councillor and complaint to OFT re unfair pursuit of debt me thinks..

needless to say GF all stressed out again now expecting Equita to come knocking for a debt that no longer exists!!

LLOYDS TSB x 2 WON,

MBNA WON,

A&L WON,

GE Money x 2 WON , c

Halifax (o/h) WON,

capquest, WON

Have you asked for a copy of the councils complaints proceedure? Just makes it that bit more official.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Hi Rory,

no i havent yet, i will do that today. thanks for the advice.

LLOYDS TSB x 2 WON,

MBNA WON,

A&L WON,

GE Money x 2 WON , c

Halifax (o/h) WON,

capquest, WON

I found the councils online system to contact them and lodged a complain in respct to the lack of action following my complaint 2 weeks ago and complaining about equita's ongoing action.

i then phoned the council tax number listed in that forum. They confirmed the debt is cleared, but equita wont know that as thet are behind in recalling it. He also confirmed they have received the writen complaint and the online complaint and that they will recall the account in the next few days.

in the meantime i sent this on behalf of my GF to equita

Dear Sir/Madam,

I write in response to your letters (2) received on the 20/06/07.

You state that I have failed to contact you regarding the outstanding council tax liability. You have received written correspondence from myself, sent recorded delivery on the 30/5/07 (delivered 04/06/07) and on the 08/06/07 (delivered 12/06/07). Your offices were contacted on several occasions by myself and also by my boyfriend, as was your bailiff in charge Mr xxxx. Mobile phone records are available to verify this

The letter dated 30/05/07, disputes the charges added by yourselves and you were asked to provide an itemised statement of account that clearly showed what charges had been added and what these charges are for giving details of dates and times etc. To date you have failed to provide this information or acknowledge my correspondence.

Your were further advised that whilst these charges were in dispute any payments would be made directly to the council. You were also offered a payment plan (suspended till charges verified) which your offices and your bailiff refused to accept

I have since paid the debt in full, directly to Birmingham city council as of the 7th June 2007. My letter of the 8th June confirms that, and provided receipts of the two payments amounting to £350.75, and enclosed a guaranteed cheque for £41 in respect to charges incurred to that date. These charges were confirmed by your offices after I challenged your original request for charges of £291, which were clearly invalid, including a charge for a vehicle that never attended my property, and even if it did, this charge could not be enforced as you do not have a levvy of goods,

I do not accept any further liability to either Equita or Birmingham City Council as of the 7th June 2007, the point at which the debt was settled in full, along with your charges. Any actions taken by Equita since this date since are a result of communication issues between yourselves and Birmingham City Council. Any attempts by your company to levy further charges will be vigorously defended and contested, by legal means if necessary

I have been extremely concerned with throughout the pursuit of this debt, with the conduct of your company and its employees, and I am deeply concerned in respect to your firm’s psychological harassment collection methods! I feel sure that you must be aware of the Office of Fair Trading Guidance on Unfair Debt Collection Practices, July 2003. However, for the avoidance of doubt I will remind you, relevant points are highlighted,

Physical/psychological harassment

2.5 Putting pressure on debtors or third parties is considered to be oppressive.

2.6 Examples of unfair practices are as follows:

• Using more than one debt collection business at the same time resulting in repetitive and/or frequent contact by different parties.

• Not ensuring that an adequate history of the debt is passed on as appropriate resulting in repetitive and/or frequent contact by different parties.

• Not informing the debtor when their case has been passed on to a different debt collector.

• Pressurising debtors to pay in full, in unreasonably large instalments, or to increase payments when they are unable to do so.

• Making threatening statements or gestures or taking actions which suggest harm to debtors.

• Ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment.

• Disclosing or threatening to disclose debt details to third parties unless legally entitled to do so.

Deceptive and/or unfair methods

2.7 Dealings with debtors are not to be deceitful and/or unfair.

2.8 Examples of unfair practices are as follows:

• Passing on debtors details to debt management companies without the debtors’ informed consent.

• Failing to investigate and/or provide details as appropriate, when a debt is queried or disputed.

• Not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt.

Any further harassment by letter will be dealt with by the Harassment Act 1997 (see below)

“Protection from Harassment Act 1997” The Protection from Harassment Act 1997 introduces four new criminal offences.

• Harassment (section 2): summary only, six months imprisonment and/or a level 5 fine.

• Section 7 defines a course of conduct as involving conduct on at least two occasions. Harassment is not defined, but includes causing alarm or distress and conduct is defined as including speech.

• Section 7(3)A provided that Conduct by one person shall also be taken to be conduct by another if that other has aided, abetted, counselled or procured the conduct. The Knowledge and purpose of the person who aids, abets, counsels or procures conduct are what was contemplated or reasonably foreseeable at the time of aiding, abetting, counselling or procuring and not when the conduct occurs.

I have formally complained to Birmingham City Council have today, you are their appointed representative and as such they are responsible for your actions and conduct. I will also be lodging a complaint with my local councillor, and with the OFT.

A copy of this letter will be sent to the Birmingham City Council

Yours faithfully,

LLOYDS TSB x 2 WON,

MBNA WON,

A&L WON,

GE Money x 2 WON , c

Halifax (o/h) WON,

capquest, WON

Well done on dealing with Equita. I had hassles with them too - it was as if they were just picking numbers out of thin air, & when I couldn't get anywhere with them I paid the council over the internet regardless of whether Equita liked it or not. My concern was that the debt got paid & that I had receipts for my payments, not where they & the council decided to scatter the paper trail.

People like Equita must rue the day the internet became so accessible. I know I'd never have got through my problems with them & other creditors without being able to so easily get the info & support I needed. :) :)

latest update,

had a call from equita, nice polite lady.(obviously there PR lady ha ha ) seems that the council had been in touch following my letters of complaint. she confirmed that they knwo had confirmation of the payments and that the council had recalled the debt. all that was outstanding was payment of charges amounting to £41 for which they had received a cheque and were waiting for that to clear. she assured me that there would be no further action regarding this matter.fine i said please put all of that in writing

so while she was on i spoke to her about the conduct of her bailiffs and the threats to kick the door in etc...

lady "oh no says she..our baillifs would not possibly say that, maybe as my gf was under stress she mis-understood."

me "one she didnt misunderstand and 2 the stress was caused by the actions and threats of the bailiffs.

lady "anyway, they are not allowed to do that"

i informed her that i was aware of that and that was what i had been advising my gf of.

i then challenged her about the charges and asked why they were attempting to collect £291, they had not sent a van and had not levvied goods so couldnt charge even if they had sent a van.

lady "oh well thats what we would have charged if we had to keep sending one"

me "you could send it as many times as you want but if you jhad not levveid goods you cannot charge"

i decided this was going nowhereand asked her again to confirm all actions ceased all paymenst recieved, which she confirmed and again asked her to put it in writing.

so yesterday i received a letter from said lady at equita confiming all of the above, and satting that no further enforecement action would take place and bailiffs advised accordingly

but in the same post another letter from equita's bailiffs chasing thesame debt!!!!:-D

also a letter from the council confirming everything aid but we owe equita £149 and equita had been asked to breakdown the charges :-D:???:

INCREDIBLE INCOMPETENCE"!!!!!:evil:

i phoned the call number on the equita letter, entered the bailiffs number and was told the case is settled !!!

so tomorrow letter again to nice lady at equita, letter to council attaching letter from equita,

then wait and seee whathappens next

LLOYDS TSB x 2 WON,

MBNA WON,

A&L WON,

GE Money x 2 WON , c

Halifax (o/h) WON,

capquest, WON