• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Sev v MBNA

Sev
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6345 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Sev

Not sure if you have tried but I would suggest you get in touch with a debt management company., preferably one with charitable status who wont chagre you for their advice.

I used payplan, my experiences werent as bad as yours but they were getting there.

Payplan sorted ot a debt management plan and negotiated with all of my creditors. Im not sure how much they could help you but they did a lot for me.

HTH

Glenn

Ps Good luck.

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Sev

I have joind today and I sympathise. I owe MBNA one heck of a lot owing to a sudden downturn in my business over the last two years. Like you my earnings have dropped almost to zilch and I am now receiving the harrassment calls several times a day. I have now written to the OFT and the Banking Ombudsman and I am trying to find a lawyer who would be prepared to take the bank to court on th grounds of stress caused by criminal harrassment. Truly MBNA are breaking the law and they should be stopped and have their licence taken away.

I am also going to write to my MP and see if he will bring the issues up in Parliament because there must be thousands of us who are suffering the same fate.

Try to fight this evil menace and turn the tables on them.

When times are good they are more than happy to lend money without any checks but when things are difficult they only think of pulling the plug on you. There is no shame in being in debt more especially when it has been caused by external problems that are beyond our control.

I am also wondering if there is ever a case to be had against them on the grounds of irresponsible lending. I know some people have defended claims from their banks in this way and had their debts written off by sympathetic courts.

Good luck and keep fighting. Hopefully if enough of us band together we can take this lot on and win.

Regards

BobB

Can`t give much detail, but I know of someone who was repeatedly taken to court by CC companies for debts, each time he gets let off because of `irresponsible lending`, each time he has then applied again, got another card and repeated the whole thing.:p

Won....:D:D:D...£3778.50

Sev,

Just want to echo everyone else's feelings - What MBNA are doing is scandalous and the majority of us have all been through the same harassment. The worst thing about it all is that when you are obviously struggling financially, usually already dealing with the most upsetting of life problems, unemployment, divorce, business closure etc, these ruthless b*stards only serve to compound your misery despite you acting with integrity and informing them that you are having problems - They actually ask you to do this!!!! It is obviously the action that triggers the release of the hounds.

DO NOT LET THEM WIN, EVERYONE IS BEHIND YOU FROM ALL OVER THE COUNTRY.

Fight on!!!!

Warrior

Hi Sev !

Please post a reply-

We All need to know what's happening ? and...

that you are Okay.

Remember that there is safety, in numbers!!!!!-

meaning the BAG / CAG

Lots of Love

Angry Cat

I've just read everything everyone has posted and believe me, i'm really touched!

There was a period after that call that everything just went to pieces, and you just crumble onto a heap on the floor, I don't need to tell any of you how it is.

The letters were sent off, at the beginning of the week, and emails sent to the recipients also. Interestingly emails to Donna Pumfrey and Claire Pownall got returned as unknown recipients, but the one to Michael Rhodes got through.

Nothing has been heard since.

I noticed as well that they are using a new tactic now, they've tried it on my partner and I suppose seeing it gave me the rocket up my arse to pull myself out of the despair.

They've changed their logo to a nice comforting green tree...

They sent her a lovely postcard of a nice tree, and on the back it had in big chunky handwriting 'I've arranged to call on such a date at such a time' but the best bit is the part that says 'if this isn't convenient call the usual 01224 number and quote ref...'

only in very tiny print does it say that it is mbna bank europe. The curiosity nearly made her plug the phones back in and call the number before she realised the small print!

The only other letter that's arrived is a standard letter trying to get me to call in once again. The hook this time is the line : "we don't want to have to ask the courts for an attachment of earnings, which will be very embarassing for you"

So in a moment of clarity I realised what this was, and just laughed!

I've decided to formulate a little action plan.

I am going to send my humble tenner, and request all my statements, Irrespective of what has already been given or offered.

I am going to make a formal complaint to the OFT.

I am planning a letter to my MP. Perhaps there is a standard form we could all come up with so that all our local MP's get a letter in order to bring awareness to the tactics and methods used. I also want to see if there are any tabloids willing to report on this - the only thing that is allowing companies like mbna and global vantedge to get away with these tactics and methods is the knowing that people still have a stigma about facing these problems and talking to others. How can they intinmidate if the nation knows, and then BT might also pull it's finger out of it's backside in regards to blocking 'overseas marketing calls'.

I'm also still up for cataloging and inventorising these atrocities in business practice. This may have no apparent benefit, but perhaps one day...

I'm not going to stop until the whole nation knows what this industry does in order to recover it's money. It's gone beyond getting fees back now. It's about justice for all the lives that this oh so professional industry has destroyed with its methods while hiding behind a veil of respectability.

And now for the awards..

cillitbanger, thanks for the offer, I may well take you up on that.

Surreyscouse me old pal with marrabone - get yer hard hat on, we're going to war, I've got yer back covered.

BobB, I'd be more than happy to join you in your quest for a lawyer.

Angrycat, you've beena real gem.

I'll keep you posted as I get more news. - I've also asked spymaster to quote on recording equipment - there's some really simple stuff out there and it's cheap to!

Sev

Not sure if you have tried but I would suggest you get in touch with a debt management company., preferably one with charitable status who wont chagre you for their advice.

I used payplan, my experiences werent as bad as yours but they were getting there.

Payplan sorted ot a debt management plan and negotiated with all of my creditors. Im not sure how much they could help you but they did a lot for me.

HTH

Glenn

Ps Good luck.

Hi Glen, I've been in touch with Debt free Direct, It looked as though we could have done an IVA, but then they let slip that they were going to have 8K in fees out of the money that would go to the creditors.

I'm going to give payplan a go, and perhaps a DMP may be a better option.

Hard hat on and ready to go my man ! Give me the word and I'm with you all the way. No current griveances with this lot but I don't half hold a bloody grudge !

Grudge is good enough for me.

What lovely people you all are on this site... You must spend hours trawling the site giving advice and support to all that need it. I know this is going to sound dramatic but this site has turned my life around. I am sure I'm not alone when I say - it's been the kick up the **** that I needed for me to be able to see the light at the end of that what has been very distant tunnel!! I am still in the initial claiming stages so as yet have received nothing. I do feel however that it is very important to log on to the site regularly not only to get support but to give it. You don't have to be a legal eagle to support with common sense and the occasional hug!!

Sev - don't let them grind you down - Don't get mad, get even (or better)!!

;) Boobaby

Please hit the scales if you think I've helped!

Please note that advice given is purely my opinion and should be treated as such.

FAQ’s

http://www.consumeractiongroup.c o.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/

HSBC Claim - August 2006 £2,700 paid November 2006

Halifax Claim - August 2006 £4,100 paid December 2006

GE Capital - August 2006 - settled

Log Book Loans - August 2007 - sorted

I'm going to give payplan a go, and perhaps a DMP may be a better option.

Sev

I know there are other charitable companies who wont charge and i had the same experience. Signed up but didnt pay to go with a company who offered me an iva, they forgot to tell me that at the end my creditors would force me to take a mortgage out for the balance of the debt on my share of the equity in my house!!

Payplan worked well for me and i know others have had good experiences. I have heard of one person who didnt but i would still recommend them.

Good Luck

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

can i add what a bunch of barstools mbna are

i am always crap at paying my balance, they would call me up in work etc. i am ok as i earn i reasonable wage just forgetful. one time they called me up, i could hear i guy in same call centre shouting 'mrs jones you have to pay us something today'

total utter w@@@kers

will enjoy getting money back from virgin

Hokey Dokey People,

Latest Update...

I got a call from Stuart Johnson Today, and it goes like this...

I sent the letter as you know to the Advocates office, and also copied in Donna Pumfrey and also Michael Rhodes.

I've had an apology for the 'appaling way that I have been treated'.

I've also had not only my 1100 pounds of charges refunded, but also given another 500 pounds for inconveniences.

Apparently Michael Rhodes is calling a meeting at senior level to discuss the methods used and the strategies operated in order to recover funds, based not only on my letter but on correspondence from any others directly to himself and through the advocates office.

So I suppose I could say that I've won this round.

Stuart was genuinely helpfull, and he also said that any communication would be from the advocates office only.

I'ts been painfull, and it's been humiliating, but I've got it all back, lock, stock and barrel.

To any reading this that haven't already done so, as SurreyScouse has said so many times, deal only with the advocates office. The call centre operators can do nothing, and the debt management team people have very little decisin making power.

When you write to the Advocates office, copy in Michael Rhodes, and infact anyone else you feel like from the who's who thread - the full impact of their damage must be brought home.

I still want to campaign globally about the general attitude and methods of this industry, and it still angers me that you have to take things to director level before you can get anything done.

Once I get this all in writing i'll be a lot happier.

And today I sent off my LBA to Abbey... I think i'll have three quarters fo my overdraft back thank you..

I'll keep you posted.

Great news! Glad you hung in there and saw it through. Congratulations!

A+L S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 28th July. Statements rec'd 01 Sept. Letter requesting repayment of £4,979 sent 18/09 MCOL sent 15th Nov £6389.57. Cheque received £6425.54 4th Dec.:D

MBNA S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 28th July, promised reply by 28th August. Cheque rec'd £250 31 Aug.:confused: . 2nd letter sent 7 sept for rest of charges to be returned. £243 rec'd 28th Oct:D

CCA sent 1st Credit 11th August, reply 15th Aug

Request for repayment Rooftop Mortgages for £1095, reply saying no on 17th Aug.

Still to come: Cap. One, Time retail, HFC Bank.

Its been a hard ride for you, but a great result in the end.

Hopefully we can all learn from this sort of scenario - with persistance and learning to support on others, we can get good results and things can change in our lives faster than expected.

Well done Sev.

Barclays - £268 - Moneyclaim

Capital One - £172 - Moneyclaim

Abbey (2nd claim) - Moneyclaim

---------------------------------------------------

HSBC - £2164.46- PAID IN FULL

MBNA - £471 - PAID IN FULL

NatWest - £307 - PAID IN FULL

Abbey Business - £314.15 - PAID IN FULL

That's brilliant news, after all the grief these wasters have caused you. I've only had a fraction of it myself, but it was enough to bring me to my knees at the time :(

Loz

I hate Alliance + Leicester

BT: No longer a customer :)

HSBC: £1222 refunded 28/5/06; Second claim of £737-24 refunded 9/11/06; PPI + interest on personal loan refunded 27/7/08

MBNA: £100 refunded on first claim of £112; £208 refunded on second claim for £108 24/9/07; PPI £256-28 refunded 8/4/08

NatWest: £1581-71 refunded 16/12/06; personal loan CCA agreement not provided

Hi Sev- I have just read about your News...Excellent and quite right too. Sev, you have & your family have been treated appallingly by MBNA, like many other consumers and their (MBNA) Collection Practices/Methods should be brought to account. Meaning the more of us that complain to the OFT about these Banks Unfair Practices, will bring about a change!!! ...........................................................................................!!!!!!! A very Angry Cat:)

Hi - I've just this thread and it sounds so familiar with my own experiences of dealing with MBNA and Global Vantage. I had the calls at 8 am, 8.13 am, 8.45 am on a Saturday morning the day after my father died. I had them on the day of his funeral, and every hour of the day for weeks after. Eventually I just got unplugged my home phone as the hourly phone calls were becoming too much. That at a time when I really needed to be in touch with people and they with me.

Some of the tactics that some of the agencies use really is beyond the pale and a disgrace. Certainly on one occasion I did answer I told them a cheque had been sent in some 3 or 4 days before their call. Their response? "We get stories like this from people all the time - we need to see some money". I was livid. "Stories? F'ing stories!!!!!!??????? How bloody dare you suggest I am lying!!!!" I went mad at them. The sleepless nights worrying about the early morning wake up calls were not pleasant and even more stressful than losing my father. We knew he would not survive his illness and knew what the outcome would be, but with these sharks they constantly try and get at you day by day, hour by hour. If any individual phoned you 20 or so times a day, sometimes hanging up after 2 or 3 rings, you would be able to get an injunction against them, so why is this practice allowed to continue by these people?

Rant over!!! Well done, Sev. It's a shame you had to go through this stress, and great that you managed to get some of recognition from them that they were in the wrong.

Bank and credit card reclaims - £9,806

Sainsburys CCA non-compliance with FOS;

Natwest reclaim of £340 in progress;

Egg credit card reclaim in progress

• 1 month later...

Re: Sev v MBNA

I've been out of touch for some time because I have been trying to sort my own problems out. I have been in touch with the Advocates office at MBNA but the thread with them has suddenly ended after they told me they had sent me documents to complete about my income and outgoings but it wasn't enclosed as they had said. I have since e-mailed them twice ... no reply. I am still getting computer generated letters from a Mrs Poole who I have suggested doesn't exist but is merely a computerised signature.

I am now contacting my MP as it high time this was raised in Parliament.

I am now getting calls from all of my other credit card issuers and they have all been contacted by letter to explain my plight. Many of these letters have been sent to the Advocates offices or similar by Registered Post and still they don't reply.

Something should be done by law.

1) to stop the unprofessional tactics and harassment used by the cc companies

2) to list the names and correct contact details of their main directors to enable people with a problem to direct letters to the right person.

3) to insist that these companies reply sensibly with personal letters with a reasonable period (say 7 days) and not use standard computerised junk mail making all kinds of threats

4) to allow customers to take action for irresponsible lending.

5) to prevent the cc companies from "black listing" customers without court action on the registries

6) if the companies continue to flaunt the laws then they should have their licences removed and their directors should be prosecuted

If anyone wants to add to this list please let me know.

Yesterday the Bank of Scotland sent me three separate communications. The first was headed with the name of a debt collecting agency and threatened to take me to court in 7 days if I didn't clear by debt of almost £12000. The second letter threatened with with credit blacking and the third reminded me that I had not made the correct payment. I had sent them a £100 goodwill payment in a registered letter that explained my situation and requested their assistance. Today I received statement on one of my two accounts.

All of the letters, including the debt colletion one, carried the BofS address and all three were signed with the same name (assumed a computer generated name).

BobB

Wow! Ive just read the entire thread and it took me back abit. Sev i felt so bad for you being treated that way. i'm shocked that these companies use such awful tactics. I cant tell u how pleased i am for you that they paid up - and extra too. Congratulations.

Everyone has been so kind and genuinely supportive and caring - amazing. were like a load of drug addicts in rehab!!!!!

NatWest (CLAIM 1) - £2181.24 SETTLED IN FULL

VIRGIN MBNA - £377 SETTLED IN FULL + INTEREST

NATWEST (CLAIM 2) - £1008.30 - SETTLED IN FULL