• Tweets

• Sorry I didn’t think to come and update this.    So the outcome was that he went to court. Apparently the judge told the landlord off for not sending a letter before action but did nothing about it. He didn’t accept all the damages the landlord claimed, and told him off for accusing my friend of deliberately and maliciously damaging anything, and he awarded him small amounts of the damages he claimed for. The landlord had also made an awful lot of things up that never existed and accused my friend of stealing them, and the judge didn’t accept any of those claims.   However, I’m back asking advice now. So he made an offer of payment via the court forms, sometime before Christmas and straight after the hearing. The landlord didn’t reply so the court accepted the payments.  My friend has been paying the £10 a month each month. Then a couple of days ago he had received a letter from court with a hearing date in a couple of weeks, and a very irate letter from the landlord saying that my friend has consistently lied and that nothing he says should be believed, and that he wants the bailiffs to be called on him and that he absolutely refuses the payment plan. The letter is marked as received by the courts in December and this is the first that’s been sent since then. My friend and his wife are now panicked, what does this mean? And can they now get bailiffs sent round? He earns an ok wage, which somehow the landlord has referred to in his letter, but he equally has a lot of expenditure and can’t afford to pay any more. What will happen at this hearing and can they send out the bailiffs just because the landlord wants them to?    I have no clue what to advise him, can you help at all please?
    • Thanks Bank – I took your cynicism / experience on board and responded thus: Thank you for your response Mr Schnur  I set out my position quite clearly in my letter of claim and nothing has changed. Your insurance requirement is unlawful and is contrary to section 57 of the Consumer Rights Act, and also section 72 of the same statute. I would also refer you to the outcomes in PENCHEV v P2G (225MC852) and SMIRNOVS v P2G (27MC729).  My deadline for action - 1 May 2024 - still stands.
    • The other thing is that you are making a big mistake imagining that they are at all concerned about wasting court costs et cetera. They are only concerned about being obstructive and discouraging others.  
    • I have dad's last will from 2019 which mentions the trust. I am in the process of going through probate as the only thing that needs probate is a couple of shares he has (under £3000).  Speaking to my brother and my dad's wife they wouldn't mind going with another solicitor if we need to pay extra for the trust.   
    • That's fine. My taste is for something rather more brusque and that he won't forget – but it's your letter
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Kazzy77 V HSBC +* WON +*

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6382 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all. This site is great!

I have acumilated oooodles of fab info from here today! I now feel very confident about making my claim and have typed my request for the money back.

I spent this morning printing 6 years worth of online statements and found they owe me over £2700 on my current account alone. Outragious!

I also have a Mastercard with HSBC which is now chopped up and has been for quite some time. I just wondered...when I spoke with the telephone banking peeps, they said I had only 2 late charges on my account of £20 per time and he was very shady about what else might be classed as unlawful. Could anyone please tell me if there is any way of claiming on their inflated interest also? or any of the other charges they put in place and if so, which ones? I seem to owe more now than when they told me to chop the card up a year ago even though I am paying double the amount i was paying back then to clear it all!

Any help on the HSBC mastercard issue would be much appriciated and I'll keep you posted on my current account claim.

Kaz x

Kaz :)

HSBC

claiming £2749 (£3400 with court cost & 8%)

mcol acknowledge 25/09/06

DG requested breakdown 5/10/06

Breakdown sent to DG 12/10/06

Yes Car Credit/Direct Auto Finance

CCA request sent 18/10/06

Whilst my aim is to be helpful, its reasonable to assume I am not a professional and am (dare I say) not always right. Seek professional help if in doubt

:-D

:lol: If i have intentionally or accidently said something of relevance or use to you, please click the scales:lol:

"A bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather and ask for it back when it begins to rain". - Robert Frost

he was very shady about what else might be classed as unlawful.

:D Did you expect him to admit any of the charges were unlawful and tell you which ones?!!

If you read through the FAQs you will be able to find which charges you can and can't claim. The only way you will be able to get a full list of the charges for your credit card is to follow the step-by-step guide and send the Data Protection Act request.

Good luck!

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

I had to laugh out loud at that reply. I guess I didn't expect him to admit anything.

When I called to asked about getting my creditcard statements he asked why I wanted them. I said it was so I could make a claim for the unlawful charges that had been applied to my account. He actually asked me what I classed as unlawful charges and I didn't have a clue and turned it back on him (very unsuccessfully haha)

I did look through FAQ and I must be blind because I cant find where it says exactly which charges can be claimed for or if the interest rate can be questioned and claimed for with regards to a credit card.

I totally appriciate it is tedious and time consuming to asnwer questions that u have already answered numerous times but maybe you remember exactly which bits its in? I truly did crawl through all of them today and now i have a headache and still cant find them. Its more in regard to their £40 odd a month interest charges that makes me want to cry. If I do get my current account charges paid back to me its looking as if its going to all go to my credit card bill unless I can get something back on that too.

I really do appriciate any pointers anyone can give.

HSBC

Whilst my aim is to be helpful, its reasonable to assume I am not a professional and am (dare I say) not always right. Seek professional help if in doubt

:lol: If i have intentionally or accidently said something of relevance or use to you, please click the scales:lol:

"A bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather and ask for it back when it begins to rain". - Robert Frost

Sorry missed your question about the interest - you can only claim interest back if the interest was purely because of charges. If it was mixed you can try and claim back a proportionate amount if you can work it out - there are spreadsheets available to help you work it out. Some people don't do this as it can get complicated if you don't know what you're doing.

As for the details in the FAQs see the 1st and 3rd questions which should give an overview of the types you can and can't claim.

Q. I have been charged (£20, £25, £35 etc...) by my bank/credit card company for going over my agreed overdraught limit. This was entirely my own fault. Do I still have grounds to start legal proceedings against them for recovery?

A. The law is very clear on this. If you have been penalised for breach of contract by means of disproportionate penalties regardless of how the breach came about then you may have grounds to recover your money

Q. I get charged a £5 (£10,£15) fee every month for an overdraft on my current account. Can I get these back too?

A. No, there is nothing unlawful about charging for a service provided. If there was, our hosting for this site would be free.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Thank you so much.

I am going to just stick to chasing the £2764 from my current account charges and ask for the £75 or so obvious charges made on the creditcard (late payment & DD return charges). Math was never my strong point!

I'll let you know how it all goes!

Kaz x

HSBC

• 3 months later...

ok, i have been on lots of posts but slow to update my own.

i followed all the steps and am at the MCOL stage with my current account. my claim was acknowledged on 25/09 so just waiting it out.

now i am at the end of this fight (nearly) I have decided to reply to an extremely snotty letter i got from amanda wilkinson regarding my credit card. Im sure it was a fob off and so have replied to her with.....

Dear Amanda Wilkinson,

Thank you for your letter dated 11th September 2006. I do however have to express my concern regarding your ability to read a customers letter properly. Had you been able to carry out such a simple task, you would have seen that I clearly stated that your bank owes me £80 for unlawful charges, not £55.

Secondly, you did indeed make a number of attempts to contact me, all at the wrong address and telephone number. I moved from my London address to Devon in May 2003 and updated this with HSBC straight away. Yet you bombarded my elderly parents with calls even after they told you a number of times that I had moved out. Even after I called to say I was no longer at that address you still rang there repeatedly. You say I made no attempt to contact your team when infact I did but to no avail. Maybe your colleagues can listen as well as you can read? Quite a mess up with regards to the data protection act, I believe.

You are also doing me no favours offering to take the “arrangement to pay” off of my credit report as this has already been done. Again, a little ability to read a customers file would be useful in aiding you to see this is the case.

I am still very confident that I can succeed in a claim in court regarding charges being applied on both accounts resulting in you slapping me with unbelievable penalties. I also had insurance with you that should have been put in place to help me with your unlawful charges but sadly, that didn’t help your profit margin and therefore I was not helped even when I asked. The only time your colleagues helped me was when I applied for the card and when you wanted to sell the insurance to me in the first place. You would not even update my contact details, let alone anything else. Noticeably, the times I have been contacted properly were the times you were gaining while I was not. When I have rung you for help I have been refused.

You will have noticed that I have cancelled my direct debit for the £100 per month as I will be paying this via telephone on the 1st of each month using my account with another bank. If you need to clarify this, please feel free to ask a collegue to read the cancellation to you from my file.

I have filed with MCOL for over £3000 which has been plucked by your bank from my current account in unlawful charges. Please make no mistake that once I have successfully won back that money, I will be filing again with regards to my credit card. I am far happier using the courts to settle this rather than the ombudsman but thanks anyway.

I am enclosing the schedules for what you owe me yet again so that maybe you can give me back my money properly this time. I am also enclosing a copy of the headed paper and message from my local newspaper showing their interest in covering a story with me regarding the HSBC. A mother-of-three taking on a bank in court has such a catchy ring to it.

Yours Sincerely

Kazzy77

i know i shouldnt sound so angry but this smug cow would look as stupid in court as me for the way she worded her letter lol. anyways....any feedback on this would be much appriciated.

HSBC

heya all. good for you digger. we ought to be able to vent a bit, eh? is that Gordon Brown MP or is he working for HSBC too? :D

I got a letter from MCOL this morning stating an "acknowledgement of service" on 25th September and a copy of it signed by Debbie D'Awful saying they are going to defend all of my claim.

I must say its a relief...i had horrible images of me being fast tracked to Court. Its one thing being cocky to them in writing when i know they're wrong but standing up in court is another matter entirely lol.

hopefully you have some good news as well Maria? any change today?

HSBC

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kazzy,

Is this the thread you mean? Well, I;m here now - I'll read it all later and see if I can help.

I'll post on here when I've read it!!

Disclaimer: Anything I write in these forums is my personal opinion and offered without prejudice. If in doubt, please seek independent legal advice.

*If what I have told you in this post has helped, please press the star at the bottom left and tell me!!*

My charges claims:

un1boy vs egg *SETTLED* | Un1boy vs LTSB-SETTLED | un1boy vs Black Horse-SETTLED | Un1boy v Smile *WON* | un1boy v HSBC - SETTLED! | Un1boy's HSBC CC - SETTLED! | Un1boy vs Co-Op *SETTLED* |un1boy vs Co-Op CC *SETTLED*

Default removals:

un1boy v Equifax - Default removal

un1boy vs Experian - Default removal

update :D

23rd Sept - Filed MCOL (waited to get paid to file so slowed down my claim)

25th Sept - Claim acknowledged & intention to defend claim entered

9th October - DG wrote asking for breakdown (their letter dated 5th oct)

14th Oct - I sent breakdown with cover letter

17th Oct - DG write again to chase my reply (crossed paths in post i hope)

and now i wait :|

HSBC

but their 28 days runs out early next week for yours, doesnt it? same as mine..?

you might have slipped under their radar. in a week u may be able to send in the baliffs! if you dont hear from them u will win by default so dont worry, you'll still get your money back :)

HSBC

I rang DG this morning to clarify that they have recieved my breakdown of charges (i went against my own advice and didnt record delivery it...tut! tut!)

Spoke to Julies voicemail and my call was returned by a fella whose name i did not catch. think he purposely said it all obscure so that i cannot make him my future point of contact :D

anyhoo...he confirmed that they have recieved my breakdown and that they are sending out a letter today.

Am hoping its a full offer but assuming it will be a part offer and that the saga will continue for a while longer.

Ho-hum :|

HSBC

hi tinkerbelle :)

mcol filed on 23rd sept and acknowledged on 25th sept so is draggin out. they have til next tuesday til i win by default so wonder if they will do the full offer or try their luck with a part offer lol.

guess i will find out tomorrow or shortly after!

HSBC

i cant see where i have put my real name?

i ought to definately remove the reference to "elderly parents" as if either of them ever saw that, they'd be likely to batter me!

HSBC

i cant see where i have put my real name?

i ought to definately remove the reference to "elderly parents" as if either of them ever saw that, they'd be likely to batter me!

LOL.. I'd misread the post :D It was a letter you had written, not one that had been sent to you. I should go to bed now :D

ah ok...

have to say, its not nice of you to try to confuse an already disturbed woman, ya know? :D

HSBC

aint that the truth!

cant remember the last time my brain got as much excersize as my mouth (until i found this site, that is!)

HSBC

WOOOO HOOOOOOO!!!!

full offer of £3443.85 recieved in this mornings post!!!

they havent added the daily interest since filing mcol. it comes to around £45. should i argue the toss or just sign and send back?

ive had another £25 charge applied since as well...is it worth asking for it back in with the agreement?

these total another £70 so i am tempted to argue lol.

any suggestions?

HSBC

I rejected my offer today as it did not include the daily interest since filing mcol as well as my A.Q. costs - it comes to just over £125 so we shall see what they now offer.

My advise if free and is worth exactly as much as you paid for it….

HSBC 28 Oct 2006 Personal accounts ~ Offered and accepted ~ £3514 :)

HSBC 15 Sep 2006 Business ~ Offered and accepted ~ £4980 :)

MBNA 7 Sep Offered and accepted £2290 - (my amount £1170 plus Compound Interest) using the "phone call method" :o

FREEWAY 28th Oct ~ offered and acepted £506 :)

TSB VISA MCOL £300 - court date 27th March 2007