Halifax - First Letter Sent Today

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6608 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Some how I actually had 6 years worth of Halifax statements filed at home. Having checked my statements, £3,039 in charges have been made during this time. I have typed in the data for the interest spreadsheet (which amounts to a further £351.88). The account is a Cashplus account that I use for paying direct debits mostly so no overdraft limit on that account. I plan to send the letter on the bankcharges.info website out today giving them 14 days to revert. My question is, should I add in the interest payment?

Read the FAQs and the forum material. this has been discussed many many times

Thanks for coming back to me so promptly. Your site is brilliant however I have struggled to find the answers easily purely because there is so much info there. Sorry if I have upset you.

I sent the standard letter to the Halifax on 7 March highlighting £3,039 in charges. Samantha Smith from the Halifax called me this afternoon to discuss this.

She firstly told me that she was sorry I was disappointed with the bank however I did agree to their terms of business when I opened the account about 8 years ago.

She subsequently offered to refund my 2006 charges as a sign of goodwill (5 x £39). I told her that this was unacceptable and given the recent publicity regarding charges I may need to move this forward. She then offered me £1,155 in full and final settlement representing charges accrued during a difficult 6 month period of time for me in 2003/2004.

I told her that the second offer probably wouldn't be acceptable either. She then asked me what amount would be acceptable and of course I told her the full amount stated in my letter. I explained that by refunding me the full amount would actually be a win-win for both parties. I continued that there would be no reason for me not to persue this via court action however an early settlement would mean no interest charges (over £500), court costs or solicitors fees for them to pay and no time issues or additional work on my part for filing with the court.

Samantha informed me that she could not agree to this and would refer me on to the Banking Ombudsman. I then asked her to put her offer to me in writing and I would sleep on it (she has agreed to do in the next 48 hours) however I did tell her my gut feel was that this would probably not be acceptable.

So I have had an offer of a 38% refund amounting to £1,155 with my first letter. Given their willingness to resolve, I plan to send them a further letter upon receipt of their written offer giving them a further 7 days to send me a cheque for the full amount otherwise I will file at the county court.

Your site is brilliant and without it I would not have moved forward with this. I hope visitors to your site take note and get their letters out quickly.

Well done geewizz - many people might have been tempted to take the offer. Good luck with your case....

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

She firstly told me that she was sorry I was disappointed with the bank however I did agree to their terms of business when I opened the account about 8 years ago.

A good reply to this would have been that the bank promised to act within the law in those same terms and conditions and that penalty charges are outside the law, but maybe that just gets peoples backs up.

Paul

Halifax Status

LBA Sent 11/04/06

1/3 offered by phone 20/04/06 - Rejected

BCT Status

Statements Recieved 31/03/06

Capital One Status

Recieved Lie/Reply 24/04/06

Your site is brilliant and without it I would not have moved forward with this. I hope visitors to your site take note and get their letters out quickly.

Don't forget our bookfund!

I filed an HMCS Money Claim against Halifax plc this morning. Although they did respond within the 14 day time period stated in my letter with an offer for 38% of the charges I feel that this is not enough. They did not respond to my further letter in relation to this and so I have filed for £3,478.71 + court fee.

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/06/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support their.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6608 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks