Phone Theft - now owe O2 over £2000!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5131 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have recently had my pay monthly mobile phone stolen, however I was not aware of the theft for a couple of days as I was away on business and the phone was left in the office. In that period of time the person who stole the phone managed to amass over £2000 worth of international calls despite the phone not having a bill of any more than a few pound a month for over a year.

I have since blocked the phone and reported the matter to the police who are currently investigating. However O2 are holding me responsible for all the calls as I did not report the theft within 24 hours. They simply keep referring me to the small print on my contract (which I have apparently agreed to at some point in the past although the phone is over 6 year old) which states the phone must be reported lost within 24 hours. I find it interesting that even with insurance on the phone this would not cover me as it also states in the small print that it must be within 24 hours. :eek:

I have asked them to give me a reasonable response as to how they have no facility in place to mitigate this risk and highlight out of band usage but have yet to provide anything specific in reply to that matter. Nor have they answered the question as to how a single mobile can have so much credit available, much higher than a lot of peoples (including my own) credit cards.

After my 2nd letter to O2 their reply states that it makes no difference if the matter is being investigated by the police as the calls were made prior to me reporting the theft. In the same post also came a letter from a debt collection company demanding I contact them within 2 days of my receiving the letter or legal action will be taken. Not exactly giving me the opportunity to reply to O2!

Any ideas?

Unfortunately, you are probably legally liable for this.

It's all a stitch-up by the mobile phone companies - they are perfectly capable of doing real-time billing reconciliation as evidenced by PAYG, but they run monthly billing off older technology and as a result there can be delays before they notice large usage (especially since you can run up quite a large bill in very short order if you're making international calls). Insurance often doesn't cover it at all (or covers it only after you have reported it to your network, which is obviously worthless); the best insurance I've seen covers you up to £1000 within about 24 hours (giving you a little bit of leeway in reporting it).

However, the problem is that you are responsible for the security of your phone and your SIM, and for reporting it lost or stolen. The best outcome you might be able to hope for would be a reduction of some percentage (25% isn't unheard of) due to the mitigating circumstances (you were unable to report it through no fault of your own) and some sort of agreement to repay it in installments.

amass over £2000 worth of international calls

what do you mean by international calls?

were the calls international/domestic numbers?

or

international/premium rate umbers?

I have recently had my pay monthly mobile phone stolen, however I was not aware of the theft for a couple of days as I was away on business and the phone was left in the office. In that period of time the person who stole the phone managed to amass over £2000 worth of international calls

If o2 claimed I was responsible for running up a £2000 phone bill over a period of a "couple of days" there would be certain questions I would want o2 to answer.

The numbers called and times and duration of calls.

There was an almost identical thread toi this some months ago. I think in the end the poster managed to just about get the phone company to write off the amount.

She did however manage to involve the press, the TV etc etc.

I will try and find the thread and post a link.

IMO O2 are making a profit from criminal activity and this shouldnt be allowed.

They are just as much victims as you are and shouldnt try and pass the entire buck to you.

As much as the banks are generally not are best friends at the moment at least they accept that if your card is used fraudulently they pick up the bill.

7 actions in progress

amount refunded so far £6500