Window Tints issue

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5620 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi a question about window tints.

I got my car fully tinted with legal tint @ £300.

Now after a few years the top layer of the film is starting to deterioate and when looking at it, it looks like a stain on all the windows.

When the company personnel came to have a look he said that this is the first time he has seen this.

Now after me ringing them on saying what are you going to do to sort it out they are saying it has reacted by someone cleaning it with windowlene or other cleaning liquid where it has reacted.

Now on there website they say in frequently asked questions :

Do you offer a guarantee at all?

All our tints are guaranteed for the total period that you are the owner of the vehicle, this time period has no upper limit, so those that keep their cars for years and years can sleep soundly knowing that the tint is protected.

This guarantee is not transferable to a new owner when you sell the car. Sorry but there has to be a limitation somewhere.

Now they are saying we do not guarantee the film where we think it has not been maintained correctly and they are saying I will have to pay half the cost if I want to get it repaired.

Are they pulling my leg or do I have to pay half of the cost to repair it.

Also on there website there is no mention of how to maintain the tints and also there are no terms and conditions.

Could you please tell me if anyone has come accross and what was done to correct this.

"The first time I have seen this happen" is the first thing most conment usually say when a customer complains.

If indeed they do provide a guarantee, then they are legally obliged to honour it (so long as the guarantee is effective in law). Some guarantees aren't worth the paper they are writen on (or indeed the bytes used). Do you have any documentation at all? If not, did you save the web address containing this guarantee? It may be there now, but you need to prove it was there when you entered the contract.

If they are saying that the guarantee is not applicable because of misuse, then it will be for you to prove that it was not. I don't know whether that would be possible or not.

I would contact Consumer Direct. There may have been other complaints about this firm. Can you tell us who it is?

Hi thanks for the reply.

Sorry new to this you mentioned consumer direct - how do i do this.

Company is called cappuccino tints.

Have a look at there site and could you please tell me what I can do.

I do not have any documents of the work done as it was about 3 years ago.

thanks

Do you still have proof of payment, or evidence that they carried out the work? Might be worth getting them to put their statement in writing to you - at least it will be evidence if it turns "nasty" that they don't deny they carried out the work. You can see where I'm coming from... if you make a fuss and have no way of proving it was their work, it's an easy get-out for them...

Once you have their statement in writing, I guess the main angle is that you were never given a care sheet, and any reasonable person would assume that you can still clean your windows with a window cleaner. If they wish to claim that a given window cleaning product is likely to damage their film, they may also like to explain WHY - but ultimately it would be your responsibility to prove that the film itself is faulty, as it is over 6 months old.

I wonder - is there an independent you can take the car to, who can examine the film and come to a conclusion as to what has caused it?

Hi

Just go a text from the boss saying he is willing to pay half of the cost If I pay the other half.

What do you think.

ash

I guess it is more important what YOU think... :)

If you're unhappy, and think they should fix this under their warranty / guarantee, and you think you can make them do so, it might be better to refuse their offer (which appears to be admitting some liability, unless they state otherwise?) and hold out for a free replacement / repair.

But if you think that's a fair compromise and not worth the hassle to push it further, then that'd be good too.

Ultimately its down to how you feel. Somethings are worth fighting for a result, some aren't...

Given that first of all it wasn't their fault, but now they are making this offer:

1. They know damned well they are in the wrong and are hoping to placate you OR

2. They are confident in what they are saying and are making a generous offer.

Like Jampot said, it is up to you as to what you believe and what you would rather do. Fighting your corner may be expensive and long. Accepting their offer may be seen as backing down if you do not believe them, but at least it is something.

If they're offering half then they blatantly know that they are in the wrong.

Tell them you expect it fixed free of charge by the weekend or yuor next step will be to see them in court. Be strong when you say this, don't falter, and they should back down. If they sense you don't mean it or don't know what you're talking about then they'll just tell you were to go.

Up The Mariners

If they're offering half then they blatantly know that they are in the wrong.

Tell them you expect it fixed free of charge by the weekend or yuor next step will be to see them in court. Be strong when you say this, don't falter, and they should back down. If they sense you don't mean it or don't know what you're talking about then they'll just tell you were to go.

Nice try, but unless the OP is actually prepared to go to court, they could call his bluff anyway.

Then, not only has he wasted time perhaps pointlessly escalating the situation, he might find that the company withdraws their original offer.

Never threaten what you won't carry out.

I was just trying to state no Tint is allowed on drivers/passenger windows, and only small strip on window screen. So unless already in the glass, no tint gradient is legal

Hi

When I wanted to get the Tints put on, my insurance company said if it is 30% shade, so to let through 70% of light (Which is the shade fitted to BMW X5 as standard) then it is ok.

Ash

• 1 year later...