• Tweets

• I hope Lord Frost is OK. Islamists and the woke Left are uniting to topple the West ARCHIVE.PH archived 18 Apr 2024 19:12:37 UTC  
    • Ok you are in the clear. The PCN does not comply with the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4 for two reasons. The first is that in Section 9 [2][e]  says the PCN must "state that the creditor does not know both the name of the driver and a current address for service for the driver and invite the keeper— (i)to pay the unpaid parking charges ". It does not say that even though it continues correctly with blurb about the driver. The other fault is that there is no parking period mentioned. Their ANPR cameras do show your arrival and departure times but as that at the very least includes driving from the entrance to the parking space then later leaving the parking space and driving to the exit. It also doesn't allow for finding a parking spot: manoeuvering into it avoiding parking on the lines: possibly having to stop to allow pedestrians/other cars to pass in front of you; returning the trolley after finishing shopping; loading children disabled people in and out of the car, etc etc.  All of that could easily add five, ten or even 15 minutes to your time which the ANPR cameras cannot take into account. So even if it was only two hours free time you could  still have been within the  time since there is a MINIMUM of 15 minutes Grace period when you leave the car park. However as they cannot even manage to get their PCN to comply with the Act you as keeper cannot be pursued. Only the driver is now liable and they do not know who was driving as you have not appealed and perhaps unwittingly given away who was driving. So you do not owe them a penny. No need to appeal. Let them waste their money pursuing you . 
    • If Labour are elected I hope they go after everyone who made huge amounts of money out of this, by loading the company with debt. The sad thing is that some pension schemes, including the universities one, USS, will lose money along with customers.
    • What's the reason for not wanting a smart meter? Personally I'm saving a pile on a tariff only available with one. Today electricity is 17.17p/kWh. If the meter is truly past its certification date the supplier is obliged to replace it. If you refuse to allow this then eventually they'll get warrant and do so by force. Certified life varies between models and generations, some only 10 or 15 years, some older types as long as 40 years or maybe even more. Your meter should have its certified start date marked somewhere so if you doubt the supplier you can look up the certified life and cross check.
    • No I'm not. Even if I was then comments on this forum wouldn't constitute legal advice in the formal sense. Now you've engaged a lawyer directly can I just make couple of final suggestions? Firstly make sure he is fully aware of the facts. And don't mix and match by taking his advice on one aspect while ploughing your own furrow on others.  Let us know how you get on now you have a solicitor acting for you.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

HFC Bank - Bit of a complicated one!

poodge
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5579 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Help, I need some advice on a debt I have with HFC Bank.

When I was married (a few years ago now) my wife at the time was looking after all the finances for the home. Me being very old fashioned I was happy for a bit of pocket money in my back pocket each week. I was unaware that we had a number of debts which my wife was either not paying or was taking out other loans to clear them. Then all of a sudden I got a phone call from HFC bank telling me that my loan had not been paid. I was totally unaware of this and it threw me. After quizzing the wife it looks like she has obtained this loan in joint names. I had a conversation with the local HFC Branch Manager who told me that the signature was not mine on the CCA and advised me to go to the police about my wife. I couldnt bring myself to report my wife to the police and gave her once last chance to resolve the situation.

After visiting the citizens advice we decided to remortgage the house to clear the debt. HFC were made aware of this. As I was working away during the weeks I (stupidly) entrusted my wife to get the remortgage arranged. I was happy just to review documentation at the weekend. It now looks like rather than follow the remortgage through and pay off our debts she pulled out at the last minute. So I saw and signed all these remortgage documents which I asked her to post back and she destroyed them. This all happened in 2005 and by June 2005 I had left my wife and was living alone. In early 2006 I had several conversations with the Branch Manager at HFC who confirmed that the debt should not have been mine and that staff at HFC would write off the debt and clear my credit history.

We began divorce proceedings and agreed to use a seperation contract rather than letting the solicitors get stuck into us. At the time my wife confirmed that all debts had been settled. However a month before my divorce was finalised I received a call from the Branch Manager HFC claiming the amount is still outstanding and I owed them £25000!!! As I was no longer married to my wife I told them that they should chase her as I was not paying a penny for it. At the time the Branch Manager again confirmed that she had spoken to HFC Head Office staff and they had confirmed they would write the debt off. However, nobody from HFC would call me despite several attempts by the Branch Manager to get someone to talk to me. The Manager assured me, unfortunately not in writing, that my credit history would be cleared.

In January 2007 I checked my credit file and I was still in default with them. So again I called the Branch Manager and she investigated the matter. She came back to me saying that someone else had looked at my file and that as I had said I didnt want my wife prosecuted I was accepting liability. They also said that as the money was paid into our joint account I had access to the money. I wrote to the branch making an official complaint.

On March 28th they wrote to me saying they were still looking into the complaint. However at the same time they instructed a DCA to recover the debt. The DCA sent a demand for the letter to my father's house in error. He had just come out of hospital after having a stroke and opened the letter thinking it was for him!! I contacted the DCA and told them that the address was incorrect and that I had an official complaint lodged with HFC. I also decided to raise the complaint to the CEO of HFC.

Eight weeks after I initially lodged the complaint I received a call from HFC's Area Manager. I explained that I had no job and that they should look to my ex wife for some payment as she was the person who obtianed the money. I have no recollection of signing a CCA for £15000, I'm sure I would have remembered. It was at this point that the Area Manager stated that the loan wasn't even in joint names, despite my wife discussing the loan with them. After a long chat he agreed that this case was quite complicated and would need a couple of days to discuss it with his boss. I also asked him to present my with a copy of the CCA so I can see the signature for myself. That was over a month ago and yesterday I received their official response. They claim that the I am liable for the full amount as the loan was taken out in my name alone and that I had stated I didnt want my wife prosecuted. Also the money was paid into our joint account so I had access to it. They also claim that the signature looks similar on the cca to my passport (how they have a copy of my passport I dont know). Finally they claim I didnt take steps to limit my liability.

One of the interesting things is that the Branch Manager had always agreed that nobody had contacted me to confirm this loan. However now they claim that in my file are the Manager's notes claiming I had a telephone conversation with them!! Also to confuse things even more I had always been lead to believe this was a joint loan and my wife had forged my signature away from the Branch. It was only when the Area Manager contacted me that he claimed it was in my name only. However the other week I had a letter from a company called Hamilton who were confirming the loan protection insurance was being cancelled; strangely enough this was adrressed to me and my ex wife!!

I realise that I have been far too trusting with my ex wife but never thought she would be so cunning. I'm starting to think that HFC have won the battle. I lost my job last year and now only work part time which is only slightly more than I would get on the dole. I explained to HFC that I was unemplyed and that the stress of it all last year caused me to have a long period off with stress but they dont care.

They also claim I have had several conversations over the phone with them arranging for the money to be paid. I cant recollect them and one of them I know they are wrong on. Can I ask them to prove it? and if I do can they produce recording from 2005?

Whats really annoying is that my ex wife had a pay off from her employer which she claimed to have used to clear up our debts. Instead she has used it to pay a big lump off a house which she owns!

Can I still complain? I asked for the CCA from the Area Manager and he didnt forward me a copy. The letter says they cant prove whether thats my signature or not but as the money went into my bank I was liable.

Is it time to go to the ombudsman or shall I face up to the debt? She has also done the same with NatWest for £40,000!! Should I start looking at going bankrupt? or shall I say "here's my £80 a week I earn, I'll give you £5 a week"

I cant help feeling HFC have acted poorly in this. They have strung this along and dont seem to even acknowledge that they have underperformed.

Any advice please? :confused:

Hi poodge,

I am not a lawyer so the following are my thoughts only.

Since the contract was based on a fraud then it is void at common law see Pearce v brooks (1866).

I think they also had a duty of care to report the fraud to the police with or without your consent.

I am sure some of the great people here can be of more assistance.

-E

cheers E

I hope you may be onto something there.

I get the impression they are just following the simplest course of action.

Thanks again,

Poodge :)

I knew i'ld seen this before, so after a bit of digging i've found you're original post on this matter from back in April.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt/80556-beinging-hounded-hfc-beneficial.html

You need to go to the police as originally advised! As post #2 says, a contract based on fraud is void, and at the end of the day this is identity theft and fraud. You can get copies of the original agreements by either sending CCA requests or SAR's for all information.

I'ld also be contacting the OFT and the FOS and telling HFC that you're fed up of them a*sing around and messing you about. Why should YOU go bust over this?!!

You could also contact your local Trading Standards office and ask their advise.

Trading Standards Central - Trading Standards and Consumer Protection information for the UK

It's time to stop letting them walk all over you which is what sounds like is happening.

Good luck, regards, Dave.

Thanks Dave,

I think your right, I have been been concentrating on the complaint I lodged with HFC rather than going on the offensive.

I'll send the letter off for the CCA tomorrow.

Thanks for the good advice,

:)

The CCA needs to go off by rec. delivery.... or HFC may claim that they've never received it.

If you decide to go down the road of making a SAR, then you need to ask for full disclosure, including transcripts of all telephone conversations. It will be interesting to see if they can produce a CCA for you though.... and if so, whose signatures are on it.

• 1 year later...

can anybody help me I owe an amount to 1st credit and I haave offered to ay them an amount but they will not accept it they have told me I have to pay in 1 month or they are going to go to court and once they get a judgment they are going to go for my home even though I only have a small amount of equity in it. does anybode have any ideas what I should do.

You should start your own thread to get advise tailored for you

We need to know what kind of debt it is etc

Ida x

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

You should start your own thread to get advise tailored for you

We need to know what kind of debt it is etc

Ida x

Hi first time I have tried to get advice and not sure the right way to go about it.

It was a personel unsecured loan with the Halifax who have now sold it to 1st Credit.

At my wits end.