• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Emma Vs Halifax * * WON * *

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6472 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Everyone,

I'm not new to the site, but this is the first time I've posted my progress. I found the advice to browse the site for a while before starting action very useful, as I felt that I had to be confident about what I was doing and why, just in case it got as far as court (unlikely, I know, but better safe than sorry).

Anyway, my first attack is aimed at Halifax. My partner and I have lots of their products, but that hasn't earned us any of their loyalty. Over the last two years, my partner has started his own business, we've bought a house, had our first baby and I've given up a well paid job to look after our daughter full time - which has all been very stressful and very expensive. Occasionally missing direct debits turned in to a downward spiral of charges, overdrafts, fees and more charges, and they have no sympathy at all. I'm not one to go in with sob stories - I've got my pride afterall - and I object to divulging all sorts of private information about my family finances when asking for a little leeway.

I plan to claim back charges from 5 current accounts and 8 credit cards from the last few years, but I'm wary of claiming on accounts that I still owe money on, in case they close the account and demand payment. I've worked out an order of action, where I claim back on accounts that are unused or empty first, then use the proceeds to pay off other accounts so that I can then claim back those charges. This way I should also significantly reduce my debts (can you tell I'm a moneysavingexpert fan - I owe it all to Martin!).

I've also set up new accounts with Alliance & Leicester, and transferred all my current direct debits and standing orders to them, so I have no dependance on my other accounts at all.

I've started action with my partner's Halifax account. He's had the account for about 15 years, but hardly uses it anymore. I had the statements for the last three years, and the charges came up to £600. I didn't think there'd been any charges before then, but I'm glad I got the last six years of statements as they brought the total up to £1030!

24/04/06 - I began with the DPA request, but as people have been charges different ammounts, I took it in to the branch to pay it. They didn't know how to take the payment for it, but had obviously heard about the actions as they didn't seem surprised or ask me any questions. In fact they were quite helpful, and offered to fax it through to head office the same day.

28/04/06 - I received a standard reply asking for the £5 cheque, with the rather telling phrase:

"The majority of transactions on your account are automated and all application of charges is automated. The only manual intervention around charges would be when a refund is made."

18/05/06 - I sent off my cheque by recorded delivery.

30/05/06 - Ten envelopes containing 45 pages of statements, bringing the total charges up to £1030!

01/06/06 - I sent off the prelim letter by recorded delivery. Halfway through the 14 days and we've heard nothing. If no reply by 15/06/06 I'll be sending the LBA.

Anyway, that's my autobiography so far.

Halifax 1 - £1030

18/05/06 Data Protection Act Request

30/05/06 Received statements for six years

01/06/06 Sent Prelim

15/06/06 Sent LBA - Received nuisance phone calls

07/07/06 Received outright refusal of refund!

13/07/06 Received an offer for £91

19/07/06 Filed moneyclaim

26/07/06 Halifax state intention to defend

03/08/06 Halifax paid out!

Halifax 2 - £491

15/07/06 Sent Prelim

03/08/06 Sent LBA

08/08/06 Received standard letter

Capital One - £200

01/08/06 Sent Prelim

18/08/06 £88 refund credited to my account!

28/08/06 Sent LBA

Lloyds - £?

08/08/06 Sent Data Protection Act

Good luck!

Keep us posted.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Hi, Just a quick update and a question.

As I've mentioned I sent off my prelim 0n 31/05/06, and even though it was recorded, the Royal Mail website can't tell me when it was delivered.

Today I received their standard reply (sorry you're unhappy......currently investigating....copy of our wonderful leaflet etc.) and it's dated 08/06/06.

Should I assume that they received this on 07/06/06, and replied straightaway, or am I being too reasonable? I'm eager to stick to my timetable and be firm with them, but in case it get's to court I don't want to get stuck because I've been too pushy.

I'm just eager to start counting my 14 days till I send my LBA.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Halifax 1 - £1030

01/06/06 Sent Prelim

Halifax 2 - £491

15/07/06 Sent Prelim

03/08/06 Sent LBA

Capital One - £200

01/08/06 Sent Prelim

28/08/06 Sent LBA

Lloyds - £?

Hi

I to have received the standard letter this morning, i am going to stick to the 14 days starting from the day after i posted the prel letter which will be the 1st june so on the 15th june i am send the lba letter to them, unless someone else

on this site knows any better in this situation.

susannah

Hi Emma,

I would assume they received and start your count down to the inevitable.

This would be fine. As you've probably read from other threads it shows you was more than reasonable with timescales.

Good Luck &

Peace Man :D

Wait the 14 days from the date on your letter (assuming you dated the letter!). As they have replied, there's no getting around the fact that it's been received. When it was acted upon is not your concern.

Just the FAQ’s ma'am. Please read 'em thoroughly before jumping in. Cheers :)

Find all the letters under the rainbow here

Being a man, I am always right (however I will make no admission of liability if you have misinterpreted my instructions!! :) ) If you are in any doubt, then consult a professional. All opinions offered on this site are just that, and should not be taken as legal advice.

Halifax - £1400 reclaimed. Now on a crusade to help others!

Thanks for your quick replies. I'll stick with the day after my letter, so that means 15/06/06 for the LBA. Susannah, I'm on the same timescale as you so I'll watch your posts.

Thanks again guys.

Halifax 1 - £1030

01/06/06 Sent Prelim

Halifax 2 - £491

15/07/06 Sent Prelim

03/08/06 Sent LBA

Capital One - £200

01/08/06 Sent Prelim

28/08/06 Sent LBA

Lloyds - £?

Hi Guys,

Just an update - LBA sent yesterday (15/06/06)

I thought I'd be really nervous at this stage but I'm not - reading this forum has really boosted my confidence that what I'm doing is entirely the right thing to do. It's my money for god's sake!

Halifax 1 - £1030

01/06/06 Sent Prelim

Halifax 2 - £491

15/07/06 Sent Prelim

03/08/06 Sent LBA

Capital One - £200

01/08/06 Sent Prelim

28/08/06 Sent LBA

Lloyds - £?

Hi

I to sent of my LBA, but I also received a call from them offering me a final settlement of £928 and that they are going to send me it in writing so that I can accept or decline, I am going to decline, I didn't tell her that I have sent

of the LBA so I am expecting them to get funny with me now. So I hoping by

next week to get another call from them only problem is I am always out at

work so I guess they will have to do it by letter.

susannah:) :)

Hi Guys,

Just an update - LBA sent yesterday (15/06/06)

I thought I'd be really nervous at this stage but I'm not - reading this forum has really boosted my confidence that what I'm doing is entirely the right thing to do. It's my money for god's sake!

Neither were we at this stage ....it was the next one that it finaly hit us .......taking the papers to court.......but when we came away we thought how easy that was

:) Go on ... you know you want to click me :)

:lol:don't be like the banks - give a little back :lol:

:D There was a time before CAG but now CAG is here we are the empowered! :D

In progress:

Mechs and Mother (deceased) V Halifax - N1 form filed at Court 9 Aug 06

Advice & opinions of mechs, The Consumer Action Group and The Bank Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

You'd think by now that they would just give us the money before it gets logged at the courts - they must be refunding thousands in court costs and extra interest. Just shows how thick they really are.

Halifax 1 - £1030

01/06/06 Sent Prelim

Halifax 2 - £491

15/07/06 Sent Prelim

03/08/06 Sent LBA

Capital One - £200

01/08/06 Sent Prelim

28/08/06 Sent LBA

Lloyds - £?

Hi Guys,

Well the harrassment has begun! I'm now getting around 20 calls a day from the Halifax, however only once has someone spoken! They just cut off as soon as I answer. Hubby is also getting the calls on his mobile, but as he recognises the number (he's saved it as 'Robbing Bast*rds') he answers then hands it over to our 14 month old daughter to babble down. She probably talks more sense than they do anyway!

Still another week to go till moneyclaim. I'm going to start my other claims next week, so I'll start new threads for those.

Halifax 1 - £1030

01/06/06 Sent Prelim

Halifax 2 - £491

15/07/06 Sent Prelim

03/08/06 Sent LBA

Capital One - £200

01/08/06 Sent Prelim

28/08/06 Sent LBA

Lloyds - £?

Hi

I sent the LBA on friday 16th june and also sent a letter this tuesday telling them that i can accept their offer only as a part-payment and that i am continuing with my claim and will be putting in a court claim on 4th july and that they will be liable for my costs and 8% interest on top which is rising daily until

final settlement and that i want payment my personel cheque. I am now

wondering if i will hear from them next week, but i think they will ignore me until

i put in my claim. I am also going to make a claim on my other account with

them, just waiting for one set of statements which they missed!

susannah:-)

Hi

I am going to put in a money claim on 4th july, but i have heard nothing from

the halifax, sent my LBA plus another letter telling them that i am going to put

in a claim on the 4th. Is anybody else at this stage?

I wonder if their just ignoring me hoping i will go away! they received my Prel

letter ok as they contacted me to make an offer, but i am just going to carry

on with my timetable, as the LBA letter was sent recorded delivery the same as

the Prel letter.

I sent the LBA to customer relations as they were the ones who made me an offer, do i send the moneyclaim their or to my branch were i first sent the Prel

letter?

thanks for any help:) susannah

Hi Susannah .you are in someone elses thread you need to start one of your own ....you will get told off by the mods otherwise

:) Go on ... you know you want to click me :)

:lol:don't be like the banks - give a little back :lol:

:D There was a time before CAG but now CAG is here we are the empowered! :D

In progress:

Mechs and Mother (deceased) V Halifax - N1 form filed at Court 9 Aug 06

Advice & opinions of mechs, The Consumer Action Group and The Bank Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

Hi,

After ignoring the phone for three weeks, I was planning to start my moneyclaim as soon as I had some cash, yet half expecting to find a sudden deposit from Halifax in my bank account (wishful thinking I know).

Today I received a letter (dated 30th June!);

"Further to your recent enquiry I regret to advise you that, having fully considered your request, we are unable to make a refund of the charges applied to your Bank Account."

Short and Sweet!

Determined to file my claim ASAP, but quite surprised that they haven't tried to fob me off with a pittiful offer. Has anyone else received this outright refusal to their LBA?

Halifax 1 - £1030

01/06/06 Sent Prelim

Halifax 2 - £491

15/07/06 Sent Prelim

03/08/06 Sent LBA

Capital One - £200

01/08/06 Sent Prelim

28/08/06 Sent LBA

Lloyds - £?

Hi

Yes i received a letter saying because i refused to accept their final offer

of £952 (they owe me over £3000) they cant assist me any further, i put in a money claim on wednesday. so will wait to hear what happens, i did

actually send them a letter saying i would accept it as part-payment and

that i will still be claiming for a full refund.

susannah

Hi guys,

After receiving my last letter from Halifax, outright refusing to refund any charges, I received another letter, dated the same day, saying that my complaint had been referred to the Customer Relations department. As if I wasn't confused enough, a few days leter I recieved an offer of £91! (Out of £1030!)

I haven't bothered to reply. I'm filing the moneyclaim tonight, so no doubt I'll be posting again quite soon with questions.

Thanks guys.

Halifax 1 - £1030

01/06/06 Sent Prelim

Halifax 2 - £491

15/07/06 Sent Prelim

03/08/06 Sent LBA

Capital One - £200

01/08/06 Sent Prelim

28/08/06 Sent LBA

Lloyds - £?

Well it's done!

Today I've filed my claim online against Halifax. I meant to do it last week but didn't have enough for the fee (£120).

I'm not as nervous as I though I'd be, but I think it would have been worse if I'd had to go to court.

Halifax 1 - £1030

01/06/06 Sent Prelim

Halifax 2 - £491

15/07/06 Sent Prelim

03/08/06 Sent LBA

Capital One - £200

01/08/06 Sent Prelim

28/08/06 Sent LBA

Lloyds - £?

• 2 weeks later...

I received court documents today stating that Halifax intend to defend themselves. Hubby keeps saying that knowing our luck, they'll actually let this one go all the way to court! Let's wait and see!

Halifax 1 - £1030

01/06/06 Sent Prelim

Halifax 2 - £491

15/07/06 Sent Prelim

03/08/06 Sent LBA

Capital One - £200

01/08/06 Sent Prelim

28/08/06 Sent LBA

Lloyds - £?

Your hubby sounds like my wife lol. I am sure once the first one is done you will feel better.

Anyway they haven't entered the Court room yet to defend. I can't see any reason why they would risk it with you.

Don't be surprised if the actual defence is never entered and you ge the magic phone call or letter offering you loads of doshhhhhhhh :D

Egg Data Protection Act Statements arrived. On hold.

Halifax - Moneyclaim £3100

Amex to Remove Default - acknowledged didn't issue correct documents - default removed :) . £135 paid in full without Court

I'm on a roll now :rolleyes:

Thanks for the support. I've already started on my next claim, as I'm getting more confident with the whole process, however there's still a little part of my stomach churning away!

Anyway - I'm right and they're wrong, I've followed the process carefully and I'm entitled to my money back! Go to hell Hellifax!

Halifax 1 - £1030

01/06/06 Sent Prelim

Halifax 2 - £491

15/07/06 Sent Prelim

03/08/06 Sent LBA

Capital One - £200

01/08/06 Sent Prelim

28/08/06 Sent LBA

Lloyds - £?

Halifax have paid out!

The money appeared in my account today, only a week after they acknowledged the claim!

Donation is on it's way as soon as I can get the money in to my new account (don't trust Halifax)!

Thanks to everyone on this site for their support.

Do I have to inform the court?

Halifax 1 - £1030

01/06/06 Sent Prelim

Halifax 2 - £491

15/07/06 Sent Prelim

03/08/06 Sent LBA

Capital One - £200

01/08/06 Sent Prelim

28/08/06 Sent LBA

Lloyds - £?