B&Q conservatory nightmare

albeck
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4501 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

We ordered a 4 meter square conservatory from B&Q 8 months ago, while we were awaiting it's delivery I went on B&Q's website to check some details, only to find it was a 4 by 2.6 meter conservatory and not 4 meter square, this was B&Q's mistake and they had over sized it in their store catalogue and the website dimensions were the correct one's. As we had already laid the base we had to pay B&Q another £700 for the correct size.

Now 8 months on the now erected DIY conservatory has started to leak from the bottom sill and ruined the flooring (this is the second time). We contacted B&Q and were told it has nothing to do with them, it's their suppliers fault Cestrum. We then contacted Cestrum Conservatories and after giving them our order ref numbers etc, were told it was our fault as it had been installed incorrectly, they then dropped another bomb shell and said it was not their conservatory. Back at B&Q they had yet again contacted Cestrum who has now admitted it is their conservatory and will come and inspect it at a cost of £150 because they are sure the fault is with our installation, B&Q have now stopped answering the phone to us and Cestrum just hang up as soon as we speak.

Trading Standards have told us to draft a letter to B&Q which we shall do and send it recorded. However both B&Q and Cestrum have both told us in no uncertain terms the fault is with our installation without even looking at it, they now want £150 to just inspect it, this feels almost like blackmail and we feel intimidated by their attitude. Has anyone else had these kind of problems?

The conservatory was sold as a self build and the very detailed instructions were followed to the letter, however because of it's construction method which involves clipping plastic covers over everything it cannot hope to become water tight and the design seems flawed.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions Alan

• 3 years later...

this could be a problem with the installation i have worked in this industry since 1988 and the common thing that most people miss is to seal the external cill to the window along the back and the horns this will allow water penitration to the property if not done correctly

the cill should also be sealed at all joints and i would recommend using low mod silicone as opposed to high

:wink:

• 11 months later...

I didn't get my conservatory from B&Q but it was from Cestrum. It also leaks in exactly the same place as yours does/did. I had a local surveyor inspect the construction and his conclusion was that the conservatory was a poor design - being reliant on silcone for weather tightness. It was NOT a construction issue but a design one. The company did not reply to the surveyor's letters and now I find that the company has gone into receivership - so much for a 10 year guarantee. So my only solution is to reapply mastic every few years and floor the conservatory with tiles making mopping up of water easier. Did you get any joy to your enquiries?:|

I had a local surveyor inspect the construction and his conclusion was that the conservatory was a poor design - being reliant on silcone for weather tightness. It was NOT a construction issue but a design one.

:???:

I am wondering how it might be possible to design a conservatory that would not rely upon a sealant.

Is it possible to identify a product with the same purpose, that does not rely upon a sealant, to compare the one with the other?

• 4 months later...

Conservatory nightmares are worryingly common. I used Kent Conservatory Company and it was an absolute disaster. £12k down the drain and not even a hint of a conservatory. Contract was cancelled and the 16 months on, the best offer they've made of a settlement is less than £1k.

To publicise experiences - I started a twitter feed @conservatory_co. tweet me.