• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Deekayenwhy Vs Capital One **won**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6134 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

23/04/07 Sent the Data Protection Act letter

14/05/07 Got a reply with all the statements

worked it out £325 worth charges for a credit card which only has a limit of £200.....disgraceful

21/05/007 Premilary letter sent requesting for charges to be refunded, but not sure as i sent the template from the templates it had the spreadsheet with the 8% worked out so that is what i sent with the interest at 8% is that correct? As reading further now was i suppose to send that after the 1st letter? Please let me know.

31/05/07 I have received a reply back from capital one, stating as gesture of goodwill they are refunding me the difference from £20 to £12 as thats the OFT standard or something like that. They said they have already refunded my card, my charges totalled to £325 excluding any interest.

They have offered me £120, i am sending a offer refusal letter stating i require the full amount or else taking them to court.

Can any1 clarify do i put the 8% interest into this figure or do i wait to add that on if it goes to court?confused...........

You only add the 8% at the court stage.

Uk

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

Yes you have to claim CCI from the start. If you use 8% thgis is only added at the court stage.

Uk

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

Received the following letter back from capital one 6/6/07

Thank you for writing back to me about my offer to refund £120 of the fees we added. I'm sorry to hear that you feel my offer is unacceptable.

As I've already explained, we're confident our fees are both fair and legal and I'm disappointed to hear you're considering court action. The OFT haven't told us that we're obliged to refund any fees, and we've offered refunds as a gesture of goodwill. I'm afraid i won't be refunding all of the fees as you've asked.

This offer is still open to you. I won't be increasing this, as it is my final offer. While you're disputing thses fees, it is important that you maintain payments as your account balance consists of transactions that you have made. Failure to do this may result in negative information being recorded on your credit file, which may affect your ability to gain credit in the furture.

Financial regulations require me to advise you that this is my final response in relation to this matter. However, you now have the option to contact the Financial Ombudsman Service within six months from the date of this letter. Their contact details are in our comapliants leaflet, which i included with my last letter.

Yours sincerely

Ellie Renshaw

Executive Office Manager

What do i do now? Do i put in a claim for the full amount or do i deduct that amount of the final figure which includes contactual interest at 8%? I am unsure how to go about this can any1 please advise me in how to go about this.

Did i stand a good chance in getting the full amount before court? plus how do you check if they have defaulted you? is the default missed or late fees only that you can ask for it tto me removed or how does it work i ma confused?

Where do i file the court case?

I'm not clear whether Capital One are still applying the refund of £8 per charge to your account? I am assuming that they are?

If they are then issue a claim as follows: Do a schedule of ALL the charges levied to your account, work out the Statutory Interest on the WHOLE amount.

On your Particulars of Claim on the court form N1 state that you have requested a refund of the whole amount but have only received £8 per charge (ie. 20% of your total claim) so you are deducting that figure from your claim, along with 20% of the total Statutory Interest figure.

I hope this helps

Payitallback

You can check if you have a default on your credit files by ordering them from Credit Reports: Get your Credit Report from Experian UK, Online Credit Reports and Credit Reporting from a Leading Credit Agency: Equifax and Credit report information for consumers - Callcredit. Make sure you don't buy one of their expensive subscription services, you should only be paying £2, for a paper copy of your credit file which they will post to you within a few days.

Capital One will offer to settle in full within about three weeks of you issuing the claim, it is extremely unlikely to go to court.

If you do have a default on your file you must make sure that you specify the need for it to be removed on your claim form, in which case Capital One will HAVE to remove it to avoid going to court.

If you have filled in an N1, you need to take it to your local court. You could mail it recorded with the correct fee enclosed, but I think you're better off attending court. You know your claim is filed that way.

The REAL Axis of evil: Banks, Credit Card Companies & Credit Reference Agencies.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

14/06/07 filed n1 claim form at court against capital one.

21/06/07 had a letter from the court stating capital one filed a acknowledgement on the 21/06/07 and have intention of defending the case. They have 28 days from the date of service of claim form with particulars of claim, or of the particulars of claim to file a defence.

What do i do now?

Hi

Just the wait now..Check your account everyday from now on. They normally payout after the Defence part of the process.

Uk

WARNING TO ALL

05/07/07 Received a letter from capital one:

Dear xxxx

I write in connection to the above court claim, which you have issued against Capital One Bank PLC. I have now the oppurtunity to investigate your claim of £279.40.

It is denied that these fees are unlawful as they are detailed in your terms and conditions and in our welcome pack. Our fees are based on the costs we incur when a customer breaks their contract by missing a payment, paying late or going over their credit limit. The fees are only levied when a customer breaches their contract in this way and can be avoided if payments are maintained and the balance kept within credit limit.

Capital One has acted in accordance with the terms and conditions of your credit agreement throughout this matter and it is clear you have no claim against Capital One. Whilst we do not accept liability for the claim, in an effort to resolve this matter without the need for a court hearing, I have refunded £279.40 to your account.

These refunds are amde purely as a goodwill gesture and we will now defend this claim on the basis that we have refunded the correct amount.

Once the claim is settlled, i must advise you that we may still add fees to your account if you do not keep up to date. We have nw reduced our fees to £12. We believe that these fees are fair and you will be automatically charged this for the following :

1) Missing a payment

2) Making a late payment

3) Allowing your balance to go over your credit limit

4) Your direct debit or cheque payment being returned unpaid.

This is accordance with the terms and conditions of your account which you agreed to abide by when you signed your credit agreement with us. If you no longer agree to adhere to thses terms, I would respectfully request you consider closing your account when you have paid your balance.

I hope I have explained things clearly for you and we can move on from here. I would finally request that you contact the court to confirm the settlement and discontinue your claim. This is very important as its your responsibility to inform the court that your claim is settled and avoid wasting any futher valuable court time. We have also written to the court to confirm that we have paid in full.

Your Sincerely

Graham Daley

Executive Officer

Thank you for all your help donation is on its way!!!!!!!!!

Well done. . . congratulations . .

Uk

WARNING TO ALL