Direct Line - Should i Accept????

corazon116
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6159 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I had a non fault accident about three weeks ago now. The other driver immediately claimed liability and so the process started with direct line to get my car fixed. They have confirmed that my vehicle is damaged beyond economical repair and have offered me a pre accident value. I contested this on the phone and told them my car was worth more, as i have recently spent around £600 getting it though an mot three weeks prior to the accident.

The girl on the phone told me there was no-one i could talk to as this needs to be looked over by another engineering member and if they decide to give me more then i will receive another cheque in the post to follow the one i have received today.

I am under the impression that this is how these people are trained to operate and once that cheque is cashed that is the deal over and done with. I am in no rush to cash this cheque so i was wondering if i should return the cheque to them with a rejection to settlement letter (based on the ones we use to reclaim our bank charges!).

I am unclear on my rights over this matter wether i can or cannot hold out and fight them for more. Also if i return this cheque will they demand back the courtesy car?

Please help!!

NatWest PERSONAL ACCOUNT: WON £1667

HSBC MASTERCARD: WON £220

VIRGIN / MBNA: WON £267

NATWEST BUSINESS: 2nd Letter Sent

CAPITAL ONE: COURT PROCESS

Directline offered me £760 after a non fault accident recently. I provided them with a number of similar cars I had found on autotrader within a reasonable distance from my house that I considered reasonable alternatives for the car which had been written off in terms of mileage, body work, repair etc. I managed to negotiate another £200.

The guy I spoke to who was an engineer I think was pretty fair and said that they wanted to leave me in the same position as I was in before the accident. If what they are offering at the moment does not do this then contest it with evidence.

Not sure about the cheque though, ours didn't come until we had agreed a settlement.

Corazon,

Can you confirm whether the letter that came with the cheque stated "full & final settlement." If it did, do not cash the cheque but write back stating that you do not accept this however will be prepared to accept as partial settlement.

Re work done on car prior to MoT, copy receipts & also forward a recent photo if possible to prove pre acc condition.

Unfortunately, I do not have access to Glasses Guide however if you provide make, model, year & mileage, I'm sure someone will be able to provide a guide price. Also check some websites for similar models.

Hope this helps.

:p :p If my advice as been of help, please give me a quick click on the scales to your right ;) ;) :)

Be careful with Direct Line. My recent experience is that they don't address complaints properly, just fob you off with a final decision that doesn't provide any justification and then state that you must contact the Financial Services Ombudsman if you are unhappy. They ignore any further communication and dispose of your vehicle before they have agreed a settlement value. The aim appears to be to railroad you into accepting their valuation.

My advice is reject their offer in writing. Also instruct them not to dispose of your car until a settlement has been agreed. You may even want to consider withdrawing your claim and pursuing the third party insurer directly, as it is far easier to pursue the third party through the courts.

I write this as a customer of Direct Line for over 15 years but will never touch them (or any other RBS group company) with a bargepole again.

Thanks for the advice, I have returned a rejection of settlement offer letter and will see what comes of that.

Like i say i'm in no rush at the moment so it's up to them.

I will keep you all posted.

NatWest PERSONAL ACCOUNT: WON £1667

HSBC MASTERCARD: WON £220

VIRGIN / MBNA: WON £267

NATWEST BUSINESS: 2nd Letter Sent

CAPITAL ONE: COURT PROCESS

Guest Gertie100

Fair play I thought I was the victim of identity fraud for a minute!

I had a non fault accident 3 weeks ago and I'm with Direct Line and I had to negiotate hard for the settlement money as I spent £500 on my car 4 days prior to the accident!

At this point of your original point I realised that I hadn't fallen through some sort of time portal - unless of course you are female, shoulder length red hair, green eyes, welsh, married with a 2 year old daughter, then I am going to start to get worried!!!!!:D :D :D