Jump to content


Kimba69 vrs Barclays


kimba69
 Share

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5165 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

 

Please click the "Report " link

 

at the bottom of one of the posts.

 

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

 

Thanks

Recommended Posts

Well after introducing ourselves to the CAG forum, we got a rather nice reply from mrsfoot and she recommended we started a thread to keep a diary of things - and hopefully get some advice in the process!

 

My girlfriend had nearly all of her statements dating back over 6 years for 3 seperate accounts, however there were a few pages missing. She sent the initial approach letter, but following the advice of the BBC Money Programme website (we hadn't found this site then) she did 'estimate' some of the charges based on what her other statements said. She heard nothing so sent the Letter before action off and she still hasn't heard back.

 

The next step is to send in the N1 and start proceedings I would guess, but where do you think she stands in terms of the estimated charges? Can she go ahead and put in the estimation saying Barclays have not responded, or does she need to go back to the beginning and request the missing statements to ensure she has the correct figure before going to court?

 

The actual charges she "knows" about are nearly 800, but estimating and interest pushes this up to approx £1400 (split over 3 seperate accounts)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome

 

Ideally you should have sent a Subject Access Request to exercise your right under the Data Protection Act to obtain copies of all your statements. The fee for this is £10 but Barclays will return it to you as they tend not to charge. I am not too sure about estimating. It may be worth starting again to avoid problems further down the line

 

Trucker

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for replying Trucker. I hear what you're saying....it's quite frustrating though to have to wait another 40 odd days to get the missing statements when the BBC Money programme said you can just go ahead and estimate :(

Link to post
Share on other sites

i know what your saying about waiting for another 40 days but it might be worth the wait if there is more than you've estimated on the other hand you might of over estimated and not be owed as much as you think

 

at least if you start over you'll know exactly how much you are owed

MY WINS PENALTY CHARGES

 

BARCLAYS SETTLED IN FULL DAYS BEFORE COURT

HALIFAX SETTLED IN FULL AFTER LBA

RBS SETTLED IN FULL AFTER PRELIM

GE MONEY (RIVER ISLAND CARD) IN FULL AFTER REQUEST FOR REPAYMENT

IKANO (OASIS CARD) IN FULL AFTER A LONG HARD SLOG NO COURT CLAIM ISSUED

 

MY WINS PAYMENT PROTECTION INSURANCE

 

ALLIANCE AND LEICESTER IN FULL + 8% INTEREST

RBS credit cards x2 in full without any interest

 

CURRENT CLAIMS

 

RBS AGAIN PENALTY CHARGES (confirmed hardship case)

GE MONEY PPI (breach of sars sent)

RBS CREDIT CARDS PENALTY CHARGES(declined)

HALIFAX MORTGAGE PROTECTION PLAN (declined)

HALIFAX CREDIT CARD CHARGES(no reply)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Was discussing this last night with my girlfriend and we came up with the idea of perhaps going ahead with the charges that we 'know' and sending S.A.R for the missing statements? If we did that and the statements were received before we ended up going to court (if it got that far) could we just add the additional charges to the claim, or can you only claim back what you original state on the N1?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for replying Trucker. I hear what you're saying....it's quite frustrating though to have to wait another 40 odd days to get the missing statements when the BBC Money programme said you can just go ahead and estimate :(

 

I think the argument there would be that if they fail to supply copies then you estimate. I wouldn't like to say how the court would respond if you had made no effort to get them in the first place.

Link to post
Share on other sites

ok to be on the safe side we've decided to send off the S.A.R and get the other statements and then submit them all together. My girlfriend has also written a strongly worded complaint about being totally ignored to see if that does anything to knock them into action... still, we shall see. Worst comes to the worst we wait 40 days before re-submitting.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

The 40 day deadline for the S.A.R has come and gone and we haven't heard a thing from Barclays. Absolutely disgusted. We are therefore going to report them to the ICO and submit an N1 form for Data Protection Act non-compliance.

 

Has anyone else had to do this?

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's amazing what a phone call can do.... I rang them up to complain verbally that they hadn't responded to our letters and let them know I would be reporting them to the ICO, when they duely informed me they had sent an offer letter out and closed the complaint.... the problem? They'd sent it to my old address - genius. Even though the letters had our existing address on and our statements are sent to our existing address, someone had forgotten to update the "correspondence address" and thus the reply letters were being sent there... This was all off the back of our initial request using estimated charges, so it'll be interesting to see what they have offered in terms of the actual amount taken.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi kimba

 

Well, I wish I could say shock horror however bank incompetance has become the norm if you go by the threads on Barclays alone.

 

Quite a few of us are DPA breach litigating so you wouldn't be alone.

 

Secondly, I'm assuming you realise that their sending of 'private & confidential' correspondence to the wrong address is a huge breach of the DPA. Absolute no excuse that contact details were only partially updated. The ICO would have a field day with it if you could produce even one piece of correspondence inccorectly addressed.

 

In respect of the offer letter, please be careful. Without your statements, how are you going to gauge how close their offer is to a true figure? Others have been offered anything from 50 - 90% of the correct figure.

 

IF you get an offer through, personally I would write back stating that you are reserving decision until the statements are sent. They will say there's a deadline by which you must respond but quite frankly the court would not support limiting negotiation when there is no need, especially if it leads tot the breakdown of a resolution pre-litigation.

3 Active Claims:

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Sole account) - Applied to lift court ordered Stay

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Joint account) - Awaiting court date

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Joint account) Pre-6 yrs- LBA sent.

 

 

3 Wins :

Barclays t/a The Woolwich (Data Protection Act breach costs & compliance)

HSBC (on behalf of brother)

Settled Out of Court - £3,874.76

Alliance & Leicester (on behalf of friend)

Settled Out of Court - £723.41

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

cheers for the reply Welshcakes. You're spot on with what you're saying regarding them being in breach of the DPA by sending out our statements etc to the wrong address.

 

The "offer" they have come back with is £330, when the actual charges we had worked out (on the statements we had) was £445 and another £127 estimated. We've therefore decided to say thanks, we'll take the £330 but NOT as final settlement and we'll still be pursuing the rest. We're not going to do this though until we get all the statements through, which should be soon...

Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, just read about the OFT test case and wondered how this would affect our claim? i.e. my girlfriend and I have been offered amounts against the 3 accounts. Does anyone think we should just accept the offers to get some money back now, or progress with the claim rejecting their offer running the risk the OFT test case either goes against us, or takes a couple of years to come to a decision?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Kim

 

I can only give my personla opinion based on the research I have done and the limited legal knowledge possessed.

 

I will be ploughing ahead with my claims BUT in tandem to them, I will be bringing my cases to the attention of FOS.

 

As I believe the case for refunding to have merit, I think even a long wait is more than worth the 8% APR accruing until settlement :)

3 Active Claims:

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Sole account) - Applied to lift court ordered Stay

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Joint account) - Awaiting court date

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Joint account) Pre-6 yrs- LBA sent.

 

 

3 Wins :

Barclays t/a The Woolwich (Data Protection Act breach costs & compliance)

HSBC (on behalf of brother)

Settled Out of Court - £3,874.76

Alliance & Leicester (on behalf of friend)

Settled Out of Court - £723.41

Link to post
Share on other sites

Any typos spelling mistakes are due to leprechauns in my keyboard they move the letters around sometimes (amended just for Bookie)

 

"How do I...?" A Dummies' Guide to this Forum

FAQ

Forum rules

Cag toolbar

 

 

Please Donate if you can - help CAG help others

 

I offer help and advice in good faith, based on my knowledge and experience. I am NOT a legal or financial expert. There are many CAG members and site team who are better qualified. Please do not make major decisions based on my advice alone.I do not give advice via P.M's. If anyone can correct my mistakes or improve on my advice, please do.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Have we helped you ...?


×
×
  • Create New...