Just had the strangest letter from RW&C LTD.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5229 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

Brief history of this debt. I owe nearly £1300 to Capital one £600 of that is the original balance, so a fair few charges on there.

I havn't been paying this debt as basically i am broke and tbh have been avoiding all calls letters and burying my head in the sand, hoping it will go away. I'm not trying to this get out of paying this debt, but just can't afford it right now. It has been passed on to 3 dca and RW are the latest. Now bearing in mind i havn't paid or had contact re this debt for about 6 months, yet today i received a letter from RW saying

"Thankyou for your offer of payment, which is accepted. Please pay on time, you risk further action being taken if payments are missed or made late."

It then goes on to say "Your first payment of £10 must be paid by 25/5/07, yet the letter is dated 28/5/07:confused: and i didn't get the letter till today 31st. What the hell?

I cannot understand how they are saying thankyou for your offer of payment, even though i have never agreed to anything. I was wondering if there is some underlying reason why they have said this, ie incase i ask for a CCA?

Don't get me wrong this is good news really coz at least it's not threatening court and i will try my best to pay that amount each month to address this once and for all. I just can't get over how they have said i agreed to something when i never have. Surely this can't be legal?

Any advice much appreciated

Thanks

Amber x

:oops:

Hi Amber - general advice is to send a CCA request to them as the debt can't be enforced until they provide a copy of the credit agreement and a breakdown of your account. Once you have this ( if it is supplied ) you can go down the route of claiming back any penalty charges.

For any balance remaining your best bet is to pay what you can afford - ie total essential outgoings deducted from what you have coming in. The idea is that you have a decent standard of living and 'non priority' creditors like unsecured loans, credit cards, overdrafts, catalogues etc get a share of what's left ( even if only a token gesture of £1 per month )

If you can afford the £10, fine. If not write back offering what you can. If they don't like it they are pretty limited in what they can do.

For more specific advice based on your overall circumstances I would recommend you speak to a free independent advice service like National Debtline on 0808 808 4000.

Their letter isn't illegal it's just really rubbish admin!!

Best of luck :)

Their letter isn't illegal it's just really rubbish admin!!

Yes, unfortunately incompetence is rarely illegal.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Its probabably designed so that you will phone them to say that you havent agreed any plan.

They will go throught the security questions and 'Hey Presto' they have found and proved that you are the person they are looking for.

Send a cca as mentioned and only commincate in writing and make sure you refer to it as the 'ALLEDGED' debt.

Paul

It's not designed to do anything! The plain simple fact is that they're a bunch of absolute idiots who haven't a clue what they're doing from 1 minute to the next.

If you're confident enough to 'phone, do so and say something along the lines of you're giving them a chance to explain themselves before you contact Manchester Trading Standards. If not, CCA them as advised but be warned, they'll run you a merry dance before they send or admit anything.

Have a read of my own thread which is quite advanced now, and you'll see just what you're up against with these clowns!

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collectors-debt-collection/71386-diskmandave-robinson-way-co.html

Best wishes, Dave.

If my post was helpful don't forget to click the star!

Advice is offered freely, without liability and without prejudice.

If in any doubt professional legal advice should be sought.

I do not profess to be in any way legally trained, I am a big

oily truck driver and all I know has been learned within the

Consumer Action Group.

FAQ's

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/

Trying to stop smoking?

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/give-up-smoking-here/

A dummies guide to the forums

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/welcome-consumer-forums/107001-how-do-i-dummies.html

--

KEEP WILDLIFE IN THE WILD

http://www.bornfree.org.uk

BORN FREE FOUNDATION

--