PCN - Private Car Park

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6173 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I have received a £80 Parking Charge Notice from Vehicle Control Services Ltd for a car park at university. The University changed the car park after Easter to a teacher’s only car park. When this was introduced we asked a course leader if we could still use the car park to drop off work, as we often have to bring in large models etc. We were told that we could use non marked bays to drop work off and/or assignments then move the car to a car park elsewhere. This was announced to the whole class in a meeting, but nothing was ever stated in writing

Yesterday I dropped off an assignment at 8.50am and returned straight back to my car. An attendant had parked his van behind mine and another car blocking them in, so we could not move. He then started taking pictures, while we were present. He then started to write the ticket.

On the ticket he has written my car make incorrectly (fait instead of fiat) and also stated that the driver was not present, when I clearly was as he wrote the ticket out in front of me.

The time the attendant stated he saw the car was 8.53, which indicates I came straight back to the car after handing the work in. The university also have it on record that I handed my work in at 8.50.

Do I have any grounds to appeal against this or am I going to have to pay the fine?

Any help would be much appreciated.

I wouldn't bother appealing - this company although called Vehicle Control Services actually has the same address and telephone number as Excel Parking. Read the other threads on Excel Parking and also have a look at what roadsidelawyer.co.uk say about them.

Your ticket states your offence is for not having "displayed a ticket". Is this a pay and display car park and if so are there clear signs saying this?

Vehicle Control Services are a private company and the only way of enforcing payment is by issuing a claim in the County Court. They would have to prove that you committed an offence in order to win their case.

Is it possible for you to get a letter from the University which confirms what you were told about being able to park there to drop off assignments. If you can then I would send a copy of this to Excel and tell them that you have no liability.

Good luck - don't pay them, don't let their threats intimidate you and certainly don't ring their premium rate number!

• Haha 1

It was previously a pay and display car park (£3.50 per day) however once they brought the private company in, each bay is now marked as reserved for lecturers with the reg details signposted on each bay. There is no longer a pay and display in place. I parked in an area where there is no reserved bay and was not blocking anyone from reaching/leaving their marked bay.

Cheers thanks for the help, I am not going to, will I be best ignoring it, appealing it or sending them a letter stating I am unwilling to pay?

My friend who was also caught at the same time sadly has though, as they told her she had to pay before she could appeal

Their appeals procedure is a joke. They basically decide whether or not you should pay their fine and you can guess what the result will be!

If you ignore it you will get a Notice to Owner which will increase their so called fine and comes with threats of court proceedings and Bailiffs being instructed. They do this to intimidate you into paying them.

Personally I would reply to Excel setting out your case and if possible provide them a letter from the University. This way if the matter does go further it can be seen that you are being reasonable whereas they are not.

If they then send you further letters/notices demanding payment, write to them one last time telling them to issue proceedings or stop harassing you.

Don't forget to take a look at the stickie at the top of this forum - it'll tell you all the background you need to know on private parking tickets. Just remember - this is civil, not criminal, and they need to take you all the way to the Small Claims Court to try and get anything off you. :)

-----

Click the scales if I've been useful! :)