council tax, vacating the flat, a little confused.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5225 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hello all, i just want some advice.

we started renting a flat in june 2006 and on meeting the landlady (a private one) she took all our details and information a few weeks before us moving in to "sort out all the bills and things", basically she told us we wouldn't have to worry about all that as she would do it to be sure for herself. we do pay our bills our selves, electric etc. but as she was charging around £100 more rent per month on our flat than the rest of the flats are going for in the complex, and the way she put certain things, i assumed, idiotically obviously, that the council tax was in the rent. but now it appears that she never did the council tax and i have just had a letter demanding that we pay £xxx to them. my partner is a student so should be exempt, and i am on a low low income. also, we have just handed our notice in and are due to leave at the end of this month. what do i do about the situation? it seems pointless getting embroiled in a war with them as we are just about to leave but also, i dont want them to chase me around the country even though it isnt necciserially my fault it hasnt been paid...im confused, this is the first time ive ever rented and took it on face value that she'd "sort it all out"...

Hi all!

everlyndarling,after reading your post and in my view:

1.Tenants are always liable for the council tax.

2.Accordingly,I would suggest that you apply for Council Tax Benefit backdated or possibly Family Income Tax Credit in your case and submit evidence of your partner's student status to the council to obtain the student status exemption.

3.Always remember that failure to pay the council tax is a very serious matter and could even result in imprisonment.So I would suggest that you sort out your benefit entitlements and you should be okay.

I hope you find this information useful.

If you have any more questions,please feel free to ask.

Keep us posted.

All the best!

the thing is, on our tenancy agreement it states , after a blurb about rent and how much we must pay, and also about the deposit:

*the tenant shall also pay all charges for:

A. gas, electricity and water supplied to the property during the period of the tenancy.

B. telephone rental and the cost of all telephone calls incurred during the period of the tenancy

which is fair and is what has been happening. then after a page detailing conduct, upkeeping etc. it states.

"the landlord agrees with the tenant as follows:

A. that all taxes, assessments and outgoings other than those detailed previously in this agreement, shall be paid by the landlord.

(B. - being that if we pay our rent on time we are entitled to quiet possesion without interuption)

so what is that supposed to mean if not council tax?