• Tweets

• I don't think it will be especially more difficult or less difficult than trying to get the car repaired – and afterwards it will be considerably easier because you won't have the constant anxiety of having to deal with the same dealer.
    • Additionally, although on the basis of what you say, if you bring a claim against them then your chances of success are much better than 95% – the problem will be, as ever, the problem of enforcement. If this person all these people are serious about ripping people off and avoiding their consumer obligations, then you can be sure that they will be quite good at avoiding the enforcement of judgements. This needs to be very seriously thought about before you start investing money on bringing a claim which will be successful but won't bring you any return
    • Yes, a small claim is absolutely feasible. You need to make sure that you've got evidence of the tampering and also so that a judge can understand it, I think you need to get a little bit of very simple documentation about what this is and how the tampering works and what it achieves. Secondly, you need to accumulate a good file of evidence showing this person's trading activities and the fact that they are posing as a private seller when in fact they are in business. In terms of any contract, if the car is unroadworthy then it is in breach of contract. You don't give us any information about what the car is, when you bought it, or how much you paid. Please could you give us the information. Also, who are you dealing with? Don't be shy about putting this up on the forum. There is no disadvantage to you. Finally, you're talking about the wrong act of Parliament. The sale of goods act has been superseded by the consumer rights act 2015
    • I think it's best to get rid of the car.   But it's going to be a struggle.
    • Hi Lutz and welcome to CAG   We have seen many similar cases over the last 10+ years. You will hear nothing useful from the bank for at least a few weeks.   You will have triggered 1 or more markers that start the bank blocking and investigating the account - it could be large sums of cash, money from abroad, or other events.   Get the SAR sent off immediately. I would send it to :- Barclays Bank PLC, 1 Churchill Place, London E14 5HP   Send it by email if you can find an email address to use that's appropriate.   Then, as BankFodder has already said, work quickly to open a new account - this should be your immediate priority because Barclays will tell you nothing useful in the next few weeks.   If you have bought a property recently, I assume you were able to satisfy the solicitor with regard to passing Anti Money Laundering checks. However, this will not help  you get access to your money with Barclays.
  • Our picks

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4588 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I'm trying to dispute a payment made on my credit card. My argument is that no services or goods have been supplied beyond a dvd free trial.

The company who charged the credit card refuses to refund or compromise on the payment despite me phoning within a couple of hours of the payment being taken.

Ive never tried a chargeback but can I tell my credit card to dispute this transaction as Ive taken no service from them yet.

I have copies of all the registration screens and I also made reasonable attempts to cancel the service within the free trial (the dvd company say they know this also). Do I have a case to argue or are automatic payments indisputable ?

Thanks for any advice or experience

22nd Sept MCOL filed vs smile bank :!:

27th Sept LBA amount paid by smile

6th Oct Full MCOL amount paid by smile

Result = :D

The problem here is you willingly provided your card number for some type of service. Not ILoveFilm by any chance? If so, for the free trial to end you have to do this on line on their website, and complete it with a phone call. If you do not do this, the charge would be valid. What went wrong?

No the company was mymoviestream.

The problem is they say 6 free dvds in your trial or 3 weeks. So I took the 6 dvds in 2 weeks and got charged for it.

To me that seems a misrepresentation of 'free trial' because Ive only taken 6 dvds but been charged for it anyway.

I know its usually a fair cop with these free trial things (~no such thing as a free lunch), I have previously used ilovefilm and paid them for the privledge but this seems to be more like a trick which means I have a fair case to argue hopefully.

Ive sent my cc company an email, hopefully they'll see me as a good customer since Ive just paid off the balance for every other transaction Ive done with them - mostly internet ones.

What bugs me is the customer 'service' attitude. To paraphase them 'rules are set in stone', we are the 'best customer service in the industry' and the classic responce to my request of a compromise of a package downgrade 'computer says no'

Did they definitely charge your card or did they just get an authorisation on the amount for the 6 DVDs?

Lloyds TSB, Total Charges £900, Claim Filed for £1379 - Settled

Sainsbury's Bank Credit Card, Total Charges £90 - Settled.

Nah its definetly a charge. Ive paid everything but the charge and the credit card company seem to be on my side so long as I have received no goods or services except the free trial.

Seems Im on shakey ground as the transaction is below the £100 limit for section 75. I might try and argue it constitutes a partial payment for the ongoing subscription.

The CC company wants me to do a conference call, thats not going to be fun. Hopefully at some point, not having received anything in return for my money except the 'free' trial will be in my favour

Anyone know if the DSR might apply in this case at all, Im not sure

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/general/oft698.pdf

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...