Credit card chargeback

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5821 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm trying to dispute a payment made on my credit card. My argument is that no services or goods have been supplied beyond a dvd free trial.

The company who charged the credit card refuses to refund or compromise on the payment despite me phoning within a couple of hours of the payment being taken.

Ive never tried a chargeback but can I tell my credit card to dispute this transaction as Ive taken no service from them yet.

I have copies of all the registration screens and I also made reasonable attempts to cancel the service within the free trial (the dvd company say they know this also). Do I have a case to argue or are automatic payments indisputable ?

Thanks for any advice or experience

22nd Sept MCOL filed vs smile bank :!:

27th Sept LBA amount paid by smile

6th Oct Full MCOL amount paid by smile

Result = :D

The problem here is you willingly provided your card number for some type of service. Not ILoveFilm by any chance? If so, for the free trial to end you have to do this on line on their website, and complete it with a phone call. If you do not do this, the charge would be valid. What went wrong?

No the company was mymoviestream.

The problem is they say 6 free dvds in your trial or 3 weeks. So I took the 6 dvds in 2 weeks and got charged for it.

To me that seems a misrepresentation of 'free trial' because Ive only taken 6 dvds but been charged for it anyway.

I know its usually a fair cop with these free trial things (~no such thing as a free lunch), I have previously used ilovefilm and paid them for the privledge but this seems to be more like a trick which means I have a fair case to argue hopefully.

Ive sent my cc company an email, hopefully they'll see me as a good customer since Ive just paid off the balance for every other transaction Ive done with them - mostly internet ones.

What bugs me is the customer 'service' attitude. To paraphase them 'rules are set in stone', we are the 'best customer service in the industry' and the classic responce to my request of a compromise of a package downgrade 'computer says no'

Did they definitely charge your card or did they just get an authorisation on the amount for the 6 DVDs?

Lloyds TSB, Total Charges £900, Claim Filed for £1379 - Settled

Sainsbury's Bank Credit Card, Total Charges £90 - Settled.

Nah its definetly a charge. Ive paid everything but the charge and the credit card company seem to be on my side so long as I have received no goods or services except the free trial.

Seems Im on shakey ground as the transaction is below the £100 limit for section 75. I might try and argue it constitutes a partial payment for the ongoing subscription.

The CC company wants me to do a conference call, thats not going to be fun. Hopefully at some point, not having received anything in return for my money except the 'free' trial will be in my favour

Anyone know if the DSR might apply in this case at all, Im not sure

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/general/oft698.pdf

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...