Is this theft/fraud?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6174 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I owe a company £195, I've been talking quite nicely with the guy at the place and paying little bits here and there. He was quite happy with the fact that I was awaiting refund of bank charges and that the full amount would be paid as and when that would be, or I would continue to pay small amounts each month.

I was paid on 25th and looked at my bank account today. It seems that the company have taken the full £195 from my card - I did not authorise this payment nor did I speak to them on the 25th - in fact, it's been a month since I spoke to them, and was courteous to give them my new address (was moving) and tel. no for their records.

Is this theft? They've basically stored my card details and used them without my permission.

Can anyone give me any advice on this?

Ta

<--If you think this post was helpful, click on the scales underneath my alias and help me catch up with the others!!

Sky Broadband:

Requested 5/11/06

Letter 6/12/06

Equipment received 20/12/06

Connected 22/12/06

:)

Ongoing problems = 4.5 hours of calls

:x

Moved house 30/04/07

Not connected = 1.5 hours of calls

Complained 16/05/07

New Equipment Received 21/05/07

Connected 25/05/07

No problems with connection, await refund of calls / time ...

:rolleyes:

It's not theft - you gave them your card details, but it was a silly thing to do bearing in mind you lose all control when you do this. If a credit card you can probably get a reversal, if a debit card, all the bank will do is say take it up with the firm. Giving out any card number is line giving them open access to your money.

Call your bank and explain that you did not agree to the amount being taken (that the amount was in error) and ask for it to be recalled, THEN ask for their ability to debit your card to be rescinded, or if that cannot be done, your card reissued with a new number.

Then DON'T give the number out!

Is it possible to use a card without giving the number?

Post by me are intended as a discussion of the issues involved, as these are of general interest to me and others on the forum. Although it is hoped such discussion will be of use to readers, before exposing yourself to risk of loss you should not rely on any principles discussed without confirming the situation with a qualified person.

Seems the line between automatic payments and one offs is not clear to most consumers :/

22nd Sept MCOL filed vs smile bank :!:

27th Sept LBA amount paid by smile

6th Oct Full MCOL amount paid by smile

Result = :D

I think it's a blackspot. What if you pay over the phone for, say, pizza then they keep the details for anyone to use willy-nilly, isn't this the same kind of thing where they're not authorised to take money from the account?

<--If you think this post was helpful, click on the scales underneath my alias and help me catch up with the others!!

Sky Broadband:

Requested 5/11/06

Letter 6/12/06

Equipment received 20/12/06

Connected 22/12/06

Ongoing problems = 4.5 hours of calls

Moved house 30/04/07

Not connected = 1.5 hours of calls

Complained 16/05/07

New Equipment Received 21/05/07

Connected 25/05/07

No problems with connection, await refund of calls / time ...

:rolleyes:

What you've outlines is fraud. The card holder has a reasonable expectation to pay for his pizza and not expect his card details to be retained. In any event, he could say to his bank he had never given permission for an on-going debit, and the retailer would have to prove otherwise.

For the original point being discussed, you have used your card often to make sundry payments previously and not questioned them, and your complaint is not that they took a payment, but the AMOUNT - which is not the pizza scenario. Whilst you can assert you never ordered the additional pizzas, it's only your word against a merchant who has taken a number of payments from you, that the amount was wrong.