• Tweets

• Update: tfl is taking me to court I'm trying to get an ooc claim from them but they have not been replying to my emails. 
    • Thousands of Chinese companies are making synthetic opioids and shipping them around the world.View the full article
    • Are these the important pages I need to upload ? 1.  pages 1-4 are court form 10a 2.  2 pages of the CCA agreement  3.  Default notice from NewDay, 22/02/20 4.   Lowell letter stating they own debt ,     Dated 16/11/20 5. Unheaded letter also dated 16/11/20 from NewDay saying they assigned “all of the respective rights etc,”  to Lowell on 23/10/20 I make this 9 relevant pages from what I can see   ( all other pages are statements/default notes and lots of FCA info sheets) just needing your confirmation in advance as I don’t want to send over pages that are not required thank you  UCM      
    • Just out of curiosity aesmith - are you a lawyer?
    • I spoke to a pro-bono entity this afternoon.  They advise I must initiate a claim in the court v the receiver if I want to then file an application for an order for sale.  I must have a claim/ proceedings to be able to force a sale. The judge in the current proceedings  has told me that I cannot force the lender to sell and the lender cannot interfere either.   If the receiver isn't acting correctly and isn't selling - this means I must make a claim against the receiver I could initiate a claim. Or much quicker  - the other entity - with a charge already - could use that to make an application for an order for sale.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Steven4064 v Goldfish *** WON ***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5667 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Fred, by posting on the thread, you should now be subscribed.

For your info, if you want to suscribe w/o posting, go to the page top, click on the Thread Tools button and hit "Subcribe to this Thread" from the drop-down menu.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

steven4064

Hi. Just wondering whether there's any update on this thread?

Fred_Funk

PS Thanks slick132, but I realised that! What I was looking for was the 'button' you hit somewhere to subscribe to a thread without having to post unnecessarily on it... any ideas?!

NatWest: seeking unlawful charges + interest incurred as a result of those charges of £4,292.82 and contractual interest (compounded) of £4,559.41. Court claim issued 16.01.08; acknowledgement of service filled by Cobbetts on 30.01.08

OK guys - I filed my claim at my local court this morning. POC

IN THE XXXXHCOUNTY COURT

BETWEEN

Steven4064

Claimant

and

GOLDFISH BANK LIMITED (T/A GOLDFISH)

Defendant

PARTICULARS OF CLAIM

1. The Claimant entered into an agreement (“The Agreement”) with the Defendant on or around 1 May 2001, whereby the Defendant was to advance credit facilities to the Claimant under a running credit account, Account no xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ("The Account").

2.The Agreement essentially consisted of the Defendant providing the Claimant with a credit card (“The Card”) which would allow the Claimant to make purchases and receive cash advances on credit. In return the Defendant was entitled to charge interest at the published rate.

3.The Agreement was a Regulated Agreement for the purposes of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

4.At all material times the contract was subject to the Defendant’s standard terms and conditions which could be varied from time to time.

Summary

5.Throughout the course of the Agreement, the Defendant has added numerous default charges to the Account for the Claimant’s breach of the Agreement by his failure to make the minimum payment on the due date and or for exceeding the credit limit and or if a payment was returned. (Full particulars are set out in the attached Schedule).

6.The default charges were applied in accordance with the standard terms of The Agreement which were:

a). A penalty payable on breach of contract and thus unenforceable: and

b) An unfair term under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 (“The Regulations”) and therefore not binding on the Claimant.

7. The Claimant is accordingly entitled to repayment of the sums wrongly added to the Account plus interest levied thereon.

The Charges

8. The standard Terms of the Agreement in substance provided as follows:

(a) The Defendant would provide the Claimant with the Card. The Claimant was entitled to use the Card to make purchases and receive cash advances up to a credit limit (“the Limit”) set by the Defendant. The Defendant could unilaterally change the Limit by giving the Claimant notice in writing.

(b) The Defendant was entitled to charge interest on the purchases and cash advances at the published rate.

© The Claimant was to pay the minimum payment specified on the monthly statements of account by the due date as notified in the monthly statements.

(d) In addition the Defendant was entitled to charge default fees (“the Charges”) where the Claimant exceeded the Limit, did not pay on the due date or had a payment returned. The Charges are currently £12 for each transgression. Prior to 2006 the Charges were £15.

Contract Penalties

9. The Charges were payable on breach of contract by the Claimant.

10. The amount of the Charges exceeded any genuine pre-estimate of the damage which would have been suffered by the Defendant in relation to the Claimant’s transgressions.

11. In the premises the Charges were punitive and a penalty and thus unenforceable at common law.

The Regulations

12. At all material times the Claimant was a consumer within the Regulations.

13. At all material times the terms of the Agreement providing for the Charges were unfair within regulation 5 of the Regulations in that, contrary to the requirement of good faith, they caused a significant imbalance in the parties' rights and obligations to the detriment of the Claimant.

14. Without prejudice to the burden of proof, the Claimant will refer to the following matters in support of the contention that the terms are to be assessed as unfair as at the time of the conclusion of the Agreement, and of each revision to the Standard Terms.

(1) The terms relating to Charges were standard terms; they would not be individually negotiated.

(2) The Charges were a penalty for breach of contract.

(3) The Charges exceeded the costs which the Defendant could have expected to incur in dealing with the exceeding of the credit limit, late payment or returned payment.

(4) Accordingly the Charges were a disproportionate charge incurred by the Claimant for their failure to meet their contractual obligation and thus within the ambit of Schedule 2 (1) (e) of the Regulations and indicative of an unfair term.

(5) As the Defendant knew, the Charges were of subsidiary importance to the customer in the context of the Agreement as a whole and would not influence the making of the Agreement.

(6) As the Defendant knew, the Claimant had no means of assessing the fairness of the Charges.

(7) In the premises, the effect of the Charges would be prejudicial to the customer who incurred them, and cause an imbalance in the relations of the parties to the Agreement by subordinating the customer’s interests to those of the Defendant in a way which was inequitable.

15. Without prejudice to the burden of proof, the Claimant will contend that the terms imposing the Charges are not core terms under regulation 6 of the Regulations and relies on the following matters.

(1) The assessment of fairness does not relate to terms which define the main or core subject matter of the Agreement.

(2) The assessment of fairness does not relate to the adequacy of the price or remuneration as against the goods or services supplied in exchange (in other words, whether or not the relevant services were value for money).

(3) The Charges are correctly described as default charges by the Defendant in the key information provided to new customers.

16. By reason of the said matters the terms were not binding under regulation 8 of the Regulations.

17.The Defendant wrongly applied Charges to the Account totalling some £xxxx between 14 March 2001 and 13 March 2005 and interest levied thereon of £yyyy. Particulars appear from the attached Schedule.

18. On 11 August 2007 the Claimant demanded repayment of the sums wrongly applied.

19. The Defendant has not repaid them or any of them.

Limitation

20. The Claimant is aware that some of the Charges reclaimed relate to activity on the Account more than 6 years ago and therefore might be thought to fall within the scope of

s5 of the Limitations Act 1980. However, the Claimant at the time mistakenly believed the Defendant to be acting lawfully in applying the Charges, and only recently became aware that the Charges were unlawful. Further, the Defendant has maintained that the Charges were lawful despite evidence to the contrary and has sought to conceal their true nature.

21. The Claimant therefore contends that the limitation period is postponed pursuant to s32(1)(b) and © of the Limitations Act 1980:

32 Postponement of limitation period in case of fraud, concealment or mistake

(1) Subject to subsections (3) and (4A) below, where in the case of any action for which a period of limitation is prescribed by this Act, either--

(a) the action is based upon the fraud of the defendant; or

(b) any fact relevant to the plaintiff's right of action has been deliberately concealed from him by the defendant; or

© the action is for relief from the consequences of a mistake;

Compound Interest

22. The Claimant submits that the Defendant would be unjustly enriched if the Claimant’s entitlement was limited to the statutory rate of simple interest. The Defendant, a powerful financial institution, has had use of the sums wrongfully and unlawfully gained by way of penalty charges levied to the Claimants account, over a period of up to 7 years. The fundamental core of the business of the Defendant is to acquire funds and profit from those funds in the form of interest by lending at commercial compounded interest rates. Therefore, it is the Claimants submission that the sums wrongfully and unlawfully acquired from the Claimant by way of penalty charges would over the considerable time they have been in the Defendants wrongful possession have earned considerable profit by virtue of commercial rates of compounded interest charged by the Defendant.

23. Therefore for complete restitution to occur the Claimant seeks an award of compound interest at the accounts purchase interest rate of 17.9% per annum. The Claimant submits that it is unconscionable that the Defendant may be allowed to profit in any way from unlawful, wrongful and unauthorised use of the Claimants funds, and that compound interest at the rate claimed is necessary to provide an equitable remedy.

And the Claimant claims:

(1) Payment of the said sum of £xxxx and interest of £yyyy applied by the Defendant thereon.

(2) Compound interest at an annual rate of 17.9% from the date of payment of the Charge to 29 February 2008 in the sum of £zzzz, and at the daily rate of 0.0451% until judgment or sooner payment.

(3) In the alternative that the court is not minded to award compound interest, Interest under section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 8% per annum from the date of payment of the Charge to date in the sum of £zzzz, and at the daily rate of 0.022% until judgment or sooner payment.

(4) Court costs

I believe that the facts stated in these particulars are true.

Dated this 29th Day of February 2008

Signed

From the Terms and conditions currently enforce.

4.5 You must stay within the Credit Limit and make sure that the Cash Advance Balance does not go over the Cash Credit Limit. If you do go over the Credit Limit we may charge an over limit fee to compensate us for the added costs of monitoring your Account and creditworthiness, even if we authorised the Transaction which made you go over the Credit Limit. When we decide whether to authorise a Transaction, we may take account of any Transactions which have already been made or authorised and any other amounts payable under this Agreement, even if they have not yet been added to the Account. You can tell us if you want a lower Credit Limit or if you do not want your Credit Limit to be increased. We may require a minimum Credit Limit

10.1 To compensate us for our additional costs if you break this Agreement, we will charge:

§a late fee of £12 each month you do not pay the minimum payment by the Payment Date;

§a returned cheque fee of £12 each time a cheque, direct debit or other item in respect of payment of sums due to us under this Agreement is returned unpaid by the relevant financial institution or an Account Cheque is returned unpaid by us;

§an over limit fee of £12 each month that the Account Balance is over the Credit Limit; and

§the amount of any other losses and reasonable costs which we incur as a result of your breach of this Agreement. These will include (but not be limited to) costs of tracing you, notifying you of the breach, communicating with you about the breach, and enforcing payment of any amount due under this Agreement.

Brief POC
Repayment of charges unlawfully applied to the Claimant’s account by the Defendant for purported breaches of a contract plus interest levied thereon in contravention of the common law and the UTCCR1999 plus payment of interest in restitution of the Defendant’s unjust enrichment.

The Claimant claims:

(1) Repayment of charges totalling £xxx and interest of £xxx applied by the Defendant thereon.

(2) Compound interest of £xxx and at the daily rate of 0.0451% until judgment or sooner payment.

(3) In the alternative that the court is not minded to award compound interest, interest of £xxx under section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 and at the daily rate of 0.022% until judgment or sooner payment.

(4) Court costs

Edited by steven4064

you are well on top of this..........I got a default judgement against them ( Morgan Stanley) because they simply did not bother to defend.

roscodog

"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight; it's the size of the fight in the dog."

Dwight D. Eisenhower

• 3 weeks later...

A bit disappointing really - Goldfish have not replied by the due date (17 March). I'll give them a few days and then request judgement.

hi steve i ended up with a nil balance all through the ICO but saying that they have entered two defaults so i am more than angry they cannot even be bothered to write a reply to why have they defaulted this account ? so i have put it back to the ICO the reason for this is i was refused a loan from my own building society of 28 years because i wanted to consolidate a loan and through my B society i would be paying 40 pounds a month better of,but because of MS/Goldfish i was refused,gggrrr i aint finished with them yet

patrickq1

Received a letter this morning from Goldfish offering the full amount - charges (some over 6 years old), interest and contractual interest and court costs. The only thing is, they want to credit my account which will be hard since I closed it 3 years ago!

• 2 weeks later...

Payment received by bank transfer - covers unlawful charges and interest levied thereon, contractual interest in restitution at 18.9% and court costs.

Congratulations, Steve.

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

I am not a qualified or practicing lawyer.

I'll go with that - well done and having found 1st hand Goldfleece/Morgan Swindley are a nightmare (and now owned by Barclays PLC from 1st April 2008) I can only say congratulations!

By the way 'new idea' - as they knew when my overdue payment was getting paid they still called me daily (or more). I now call them on their 0800 number (0800 01 21 706) daily just to verify my payment was received and to verify my next payment! They are getting to know me now! LOL

Michael

When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is. (Oscar Wilde)

--I like to be helpful wherever possible however I'm not qualified in this field. I do consider carefully anything important (normally from personal experience) however please understand that any actions taken are at your own risk--

I did well out of Goldfleece/moron Stanley last year.

Got £595 in charges, £600 in interest and a further £600 county court interest (claimed at the contractual rate!)

The numpties didnt bother responding and I won by default.:D

Heck yet again a compliment to you too! They can be 'tedious' people to communicate with at the best of times. 'Customer Service department' to them means, 'Tell them it's in the Terms and Conditions and we do NOT negotiate or discuss it further'.

I'll look forward to the uphill struggle of winning something from them too. Great work to you all and a good moment to thank everyone who in this thread (and others) have also privately inspired me personally.

Michael

When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is. (Oscar Wilde)

--I like to be helpful wherever possible however I'm not qualified in this field. I do consider carefully anything important (normally from personal experience) however please understand that any actions taken are at your own risk--

• 3 months later...

Well done steven and really informative, without hijacking the post I have a cc that goldfish have handed to cabot and defaulted me on with over 500.00 in charges within the six years, do you think your approach would help me in my battle with goldfish and cabot

Hadituptohere:confused:

I'm far from an expert, but learning all the time!!!!!

If i've been at all helpful please click my star.

Hadituptohere OH V Capital One, **WON**

Hadituptohere V Cabot, (providian/Monument/Barclaycard cc) - ** claim struck out ** due to non complaince of CPR, Wasted Costs applied for, Default Cost Certificate issued by Court, Warrant of excecution and CC Baliffs instructed...lol 😎

Hadituptohere V Cabot, (morgan stanley dean witter/barclays cc) - account in dispute, LBA sent to barclays, awaiting responce, no responce.

Hadituptohere V RBS, default removal x 2, case dismissed, judge used Balance of Probabilities against hard Evidence.

Hadituptohere OH v Santander, Santander issue claim in court, settled out of court via Tomlin, less solicitors fees and interest.