Advice, guidance and support required **WON**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6145 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

First of all i'd like to say i wish i'd been aware of this site before i started this! :sad:

History:

Recently divorced, up the preverbial creek financially, through divorce, bank charges left right and centre, oh yes and the job i've had for a year forgot to pay my NI contributions for the last 12 months!

Brother and Mum sent me MSE link, so followed the directions from there.... Think that was the wrong thing to do.

23rd March : Sent MSE template letter for ESTIMATED charges (£7862.40), based on the 5 months bank statements i had. (Didn't have a spare tenner to request statements due to crippling bank charges, the charges had my money before i could get to the cashpoint!)

Due to recent media coverage on bank charges I now believe that you, Halifax Plc,have been charging me charges that are contrary to the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999. Schedule 2 (e) of the said regulations gives a non-complete list of terms, which may be regarded as unfair, such as a term that requires me as a consumer who fails in his obligation, to pay a disproportionately high sum in compensation. I believe that your charges are disproportionately high and therefore they are contrary to the Unfair Terms in Consumer Regulations 1999. In addition I believe that your charges are a Penalty. Penalty charges are irrecoverable at common law. The precedent for this was Dunlop Pneumatic Tyre Co Ltd v New Garage and Motor co Ltd [1915] AC 79 along with Murray v. Leisure play [2005] EWCA Civ 963. It was held that a contractual party can only recover damages for an actual loss or liquidated losses. It is clear that your charges do not reflect any actual and or real loss.

I currently have my bank statements for the last 5 months the charges during this period come to a total of £546.00. Therefore I have estimated that over the last six years the total amount of charges you have applied to my account is £7862.40. Consequently I require you to refund me a total of £7862.40 representing the total, unlawful amount charged during the last 6 years. If you disagree with this amount please supply me a copy of all the charges applied to my account dating back six years within the next 7 days.

I hereby give you 14 days to refund all the charges dating back six years on to my account, plus provide evidence that this is the total amount. For the avoidance of doubt, if this is not done within 14 days, I will commence legal proceedings without further warning. This action will inevitably involve you paying additional costs.

I also hereby request a detailed report of which clause in your terms and conditions each charge has been applied against.

Heard nothing, went over my own 14 days deadline till the 1st May, went straight to MCOL

2nd May : Claim was started with MCOL at 10am

3rd May : That evening recieved standard letter from Customer Relations in Leeds of 'sorry you are unhappy, will carry out full investigation, please find enclosed copy of our complaints procedure leaflet, will update you of our progress if we are unable to respond within the next 4 weeks'

16th May : Logged on to MCOL and says claim has been acknowledged on the 16th May - Checked the terms and guess this means they intend to file a defence? :confused:

I've had nothing as yet through the post, no solicitors letter or anything at all regarding MCOL claim

24th May : Another standard letter from Halifax Customer Relations in Leeds, further to our previous letter sorry you have not yet had a full response will recieve one asap, but no later than 26th June

Just discovered tonight (thanks to this site) that I should have sent my schedule of charges off, so I've just done them tonight and will send them off in the morning to the court, and hope it's not too late, although I'm not sure who i have to send the banks copy to...?

As at today, I'm not sure I've done the right thing at all, plus i now owe Mum the MCOL fee (£250) :(

Any advice, guidance or help pathetically and gratefully recieved

For the moment it is vital that you send the schedule of charges to the court, and a copy by recorded delivery to the address you sent the claim - once you receive the court papers, you should find out the solicitors who are dealing with the claim. At that point send them a copy as well.

Any other issues can be resolved when you receive the Allocation Questionnaire - which will unfortunately cost you a further £100. I am presuming that you don't qualify for fee exemption - but well worth checking if you are unsure: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/helpful-external-links/63-county-court-fees-exemptions.html

Can i just ask how you worked out your schedule of charges if you dont have your statements?

HOW TO...DUMMIES GUIDE TO CAG...Read here

STEP BY STEP GUIDE...Read here

F&Q's... Read here

EVERYTHING YOU NEED THE A~Z GUIDE...Read here

Go to our Cag Toolbar Download page here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

Hi, thank you both for replying. The schedule of charges I've done are based on the 5 months of statements between October and March that I have and used for calculations with the initial letter I sent to the bank.

The initial letter was estimated on those 5 months of charges totalling £546.00 dividing that by 5 multiplying it by 12 (months) and then again by 6 (years) plus i'd stated in the letter that:

If you disagree with this amount please supply me a copy of all the charges applied to my account dating back six years within the next 7 days.

I hereby give you 14 days to refund all the charges dating back six years on to my account, plus provide evidence that this is the total amount. For the avoidance of doubt, if this is not done within 14 days, I will commence legal proceedings without further warning.

I gather by the question that isn't going to be enough?

You think it's bad reading it? You wanna try living it LOL:eek:

Reasonable advice given by well meaning family, and now having found this site just realising how badly I've approached this :-(

Here is the letter you need to get your statements.

You need to send this ASAP.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/516-1-data-protection-act.html

F&Q's... Read here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

OH MY GOD!!!!!

Well, while I don't recommend anyone do this the way I did, and having had a few sleepless nights realising this could very well end up getting thrown out of court.....

THEY'VE PAID UP!!

The bank has sent attached a printout of every charge since 2001 (Thank you very much for that hee hee :p)

Full amount, not 75%, plus interest

Thank you Consumer Action Group, and to everyone else out there

Have Faith, This Is Your Money :p

Next up... LloydsTSB for an account closed 2 years ago

I strongly advise people not to do it this way!!!

CONGRATULATIONS..!!! :D :D

Im very pleased you got your money, but as moneyhelp says, please follow the guides for your other claims.

F&Q's... Read here

I totally agree with you

I DO NOT RECOMMEND ANYONE DOES IT THE WAY I DID, AT ALL, EVER!!!

It has given me a few sleepless nights since i found out i'd potentially messed up and i've been kicking myself SOOOOO much, and I agree with moneyhelp too, I think this has happened more by luck than judgement - The account is where my child benefit and working and tax credits get paid into and i have a sneaky suspicion that has more to do with it, because they've taken that money in excessive charges before now.

So LloydsTSB will be done by the book. Got a lot of reading to do first on how to do it properly LOL

But please people, don't do it on 'estimated charges' - for your own sanity

Well done. . . Congratulations..

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

Well Done :D - Just Goes To Show That Even If You Don't Go By The Book They Are Too Damn Scared To Go To Court. This Is A Scary Process Even With This Fantastic Site And All The Fab People That Contribute, So Now Go Forward And Get The Next Lot With All The Help That Is Here You Will Find It An Even More Rewarding Experience!!

Suze :D

Hi Corbechri and well done!!

Your story interests me cos I started out doing it just the same way as you. Then I found this site and realised at same time that my estimated charges were way off and so once Halifax replied to my SAR and sent me the full list of charges going back 6 yrs, I then started again and used the letter templates on this site asking for all the charges to be paid back.

Am now at court stage and Halifax have acknowledged claim and say they intend to defend all of it - I'm just hoping my first letter to them asking for the 'estimated' amount will not hinder anything now. your outcome kind of gives me a bit more confidence!!

Enjoy spending your money!

Debbie :-)

12th March 2007 - sent S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) and £10 to Halifax.

3rd May 2007 - LBA sent to Halifax.

15th May 2007 - £2,500 offered over phone (full amount asked for is £5,300) - OFFER DECLINED.

17th May 2007 - Filed claim via MCOL.

18th May 2007 - Claim request issued.

Notice of Issue received from Court - 22/5/07.

Claim deemed to have been served as of 23/5/07.

Notice of Acknowledgement received from Court - 31/5/07.

Halifax now have until 20th June to file defence or whatever......

Thanks to all that have congratulated me, It's only today that it has really sunk in!

To Debb, I feel for you at this stage :) LOL, it was at this point the waiting game started for me too, and then the nerves, the self doubt... who am i fighting against this huge, massive, company and then the questions ... have i done the right thing etc.

From what i can gather from other posts, it's about a week before they're due to give their defence that cash payments appear ...miraculously overnight... from a little fairy.... :rolleyes:

So don't lose heart, i almost did

I will enjoy spending the money, I'm taking my kids on a well earned holiday i didn't think i'd be able to give them, have paid off some of my debts, am going to donate some here as a thank you, and am going to buy a new bed tomorrow... If i get one more spring sticking in my leg one more time i'll scream LOL, besides, i deserve a decent nights sleep haha