United Utilities/Moorcroft Debt Recovery Ltd.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4485 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Right bit of a long story cut fairly short here. I owe UUW £488, i don't dispute that but due to circumstances couldn't afford the weekly payments so they set Moorcroft on to me. Managed to get rid of Moorcroft because they broke OFT guidelines but as a parting shot they instructed UUW that i would be willing to let them take it from my benefits.

How do i know this! Today i had a letter from UUW & the DWP saying they are going to take £20's a week off my benefits 'til next April and then £8's a week until it's clear.

There's absolutely no way i can afford £20 a week as i have 2 young children. The DWP letter states that i can't stop this payment.

How can this have been done without my consent or a court order?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi FU

Click on this link, it will take you to the UUW trust fund page where you can apply for a grant (non repayable). If you are successful they will clear the outstanding balance and no payments will be taken from your benefits. You need to complete a form giving reasons why you cant afford the payments. Out of the 20 or so cases I have advised on all of them have been successful and now have no debt with UUW. You can also apply for grants to clear all other utilities eg elec / gas but again you have to show you cannot afford to pay the debt off. You will have to explain how you will keep up future payments. If you need a hand completing the form let me know

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/utilities-gas-electricity-water/100405-utilities-trust-fund.html

Cheers mrsfoot. Had a hard time working out pages 5 & 6 but i think i've got there in the end. Thanks once again.

Is it normal for United Utilities to apply to the DWP to have direct payments taken from my benefits without consent?

We moved into a property 6 wks agoand since have received a letter from powergen asking for w bill to be paid which is from before we moved in. I have contacted them and they said we need to send proof of when we purchased and completed on the property which is fine. Is it right for me then to forward the company the previous owners forwarding address or their solicitors details?

Contact your supplier with the meter reading at the time you moved in. As for providing evidence of this, you do not 'need' to send proof. You say when your liability is from and if they want a formal letter from your solicitor say his fee for this is £30. As for providing them with the details of the previous tenant, you're not bound by the DPA, but I'd say that you do not have this information but they could ask your solicitor for it.

If you have not made any written statement giving permission to take it straight out of your benefit then its a blatant lie and I would certainly dispute it.

Not sure if this applies to you but according to:

Problems paying your water bill when you are on benefit?

"Rules are in place to make sure that payments taken do not exceed a specified proportion of your benefit income."

Personally I would make full complaint to Ofwat at the handling of your account. Good luck :)

We moved into a property 6 wks agoand since have received a letter from powergen asking for w bill to be paid which is from before we moved in. I have contacted them and they said we need to send proof of when we purchased and completed on the property which is fine. Is it right for me then to forward the company the previous owners forwarding address or their solicitors details?

They are probley requesting this as the property will have a warrent in process on the account.

The reason they ask for the prevois occuiper details is to stop the letters and debt collection agencys calling at your property.

If my post has been helpful please click the scales below my username

• 2 weeks later...

Well mrsfoot no joy here i'm afraid :(

Got a letter from the trust fund today and they won't be helping me :(

Plan B, sue Moorcroft for false representation (as soon as the FOS finish there investigation).

• 1 month later...

FU UU sorry I have only just see your reply. Have you ever worked? What about parents? There are many trust funds out there that will help you if you worked in certain professions...eg there is a hairdressers trust fund. Some also help if your parents worked for them. If so there are other trust funds available. Have a look at the sticky re trust funds following this link http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/utilities-gas-electricity-water/

Hope this helps and is not too late

• 5 months later...

I have the unfortunate experience of the barrage of threatening mail from this lot, it just goes round in circles, they claim to be acting for 3 the mobile phone group. I was sent an unsolicited phone by one of 3s unscrupulous dealers and had a hell of a time trying to get them to take it back, but I stuck to my guns and forced them to send a pre-paid jiffy bag to return the damn thing, now I am now subjected to a barrage of threats for £61, this in spite of 3 agreeing that the contract and phone were miss sold by using incorrect information and highly questionable selling methods. I went along with moorcrofts for a while and responding to their questions and pointing out the weakness of their case, even to the extent of sending copy letters to them and postal reciepts. I have never used the 3 phone in fact I never took it out of its box and I am not going to pay them a cent, what I will do shortly is seriously consider seeking legal advise about a harassment claim against them its disgraceful how these bullies get away with it, it is high time consumer laws were strengthened these contracts are nothing more than con tricks with carefully worded sales tactics to trap the unwary. I reported the other company EDH to Orange and I also told 3 what they had been upto. If moorcrofts want to take me to court I will ensure they pay dearly for the harassment.

I do hope you will report them to the OFT regarding their unfair trading practices- the best way to put them out of business?

I really do think Moorcroft are a shoo in for a member of the 13 DCA being investigated already, but every little helps.

Nationwide-A&L-Halifax 1-Student Loans Company-NatWest-Virgin Media-Link-Capital One ALL WON!

Thames Credit -statute barred sent 13/11/08

BCW- prove debt letter- 14/08/08

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Littlewoods- no CCA letter 03/09/08- Lowells now

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Capital One/Debitas- now with Lowells

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All information has been obtained from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

I have a situation regarding UU/Moorcroft, and I wish to make a token payment with UU re: outstanding charges. I would like help regarding the wording of letters to both parties.

I am also being harassed re: Gas at a previous address. Even though I didn't live there at the time, and my gas supply (by British Gas) is by the same company! I have spoken to both parties telling them this, and that THEY(British Gas) have my details and can solve the matter themselves! I have also informed them that I am being tested for cancer and my head is all over the place.

Any help most greatlfully received.

Cheers,

seeker27

• 6 months later...

I have just received a phone call from the Moorecroft group about money i owe dating back from a property i stopped renting nearly 6 years ago! I don't owe any money and the cheeky girl at the end of the phone told me that i would be taken to court and put the phone down! I don't live there so have no way of contacting them, as the number they called from goes to an answer machine! I'm flabbergasted! What do I do?

Mexican1

My advice is to ignore them. Do not phone them. If they phone you do not confirm security details - they could be anyone imcluding identity thieves. Insist everything must be in writing and tell them that they must prove any debt before you take them seriously.

If they continue to harrass you start you own thread and you will get plenty of guidance.

I used to have them on my back

CAN you confirm your name

UM YES ITS ME

i need it for security

UM(whispers) yes its secure to talk

can you confirm your name

UM not on the phone because its tapped

what you mean its tapped well scotland yard have been watching me and tapped my phone

are you going to confirm your name

LOOK I CAN I JUST TOLD YOU WHY BUT I KNOW ITS ME THEY KNOW ITS ME OR DO YOU THINK IM A LIAR

funny who the phone goes dead

Regards DK

do that everytime they soon get p*ssed off and dont call

Please Tip My Scales if Info was Use full

• 5 months later...

Hello, I have today just recieved a letter of demand for monies from Moorcroft Debt Recovery Ltd. The sum demanded is on behalf of Virgin Media & profess to be acting as their agents.

I myself know that Virgin Media have added erroneos & enigmatic charges to my past account with them & no 'debt' to them exists. The charges Virgin Media have made are for services which have been disconected & then late payment fees added for 'non payment' etc, etc. I know that Virgin Media are making illegal charges under the 'Supply Of Goods And Services Act' and the 'Unfair Terms In Consumer Contracts Act'.

So Virgin Media have been acting like 'cowboys' & have now passed their claim attempts to a 'cowboy' debt collection agency.

Of course I have looked at Moorcroft Debt Recovery's website which gives no information whatsoever about themselve. Have a look - www.mdrl.co.uk . They also have a site offering a service for helping people with their financial difficulties, again have a look - www.yourdebtmanagement.co.uk .

I have worked in the Citizens Advice Bureau & know that in the buisness of debt collection, all these types of threatening & bullying letters are called 'blue frightners'. Somtimes the letters say they are going to send debt collectors to your home or even that they have sent some but no one was in. All this is aimed at frightening the public to pay monies to them, on behalf of the company they claim to be agents for.

These illegitimate debt recovery companies operate an agreement with the company they claim (or are) acting as agents for, a percentage fee for any money gained, however they gain it. If they dont get any money for the company, they don't get anything.

Any proper company who have a valid claim for monies would go through a proper solicitors firm & the proper legal routes. Including the legal requirement for the court service to give you notice of any county court hearing about a debt claim & the opportunity for you to defend it in court by presenting your side of the case.

If this has not happened then you have no CCJ against you & what both companies are doing to you is criminal harassment. It is also a criminal offence for anyone to interpret a court document (or implying a court document).

I understand that all of this is stressfull for you but that is exactly what Moorcroft Debt Recovery Ltd are trying to do, to make you 'crack' so you will pay them just to go away.

You certainly have nothing to worry about from a legal point of view.

I personally will not even bother to phone this company up as I can see they are cowboys, not much better than common bullying & threatening thieves.

My advice to you is not to worry anymore & do not under any circumstances let anyone in to your home. If anyone tries to, then call the police.

It seems to me that United Utilities & Moorcroft Debt Recovery Ltd are both acting in an immoral & illegal manner. You could phone them up one last time and quote some of what I have said above.

I hope this helps you.

Steve.

I have briefly read through this thread and there is one misunderstanding that should be corrected.

Companies that are providing services like utilities whose bills are paid in arrears are not bound by the CCA (1974). This Act only comcerns the provision of credit i.e. money. They therefore do not have to provide a CCA agreement and cannot be forced to provide a copy agreement. If you use water gas or electricity a court will deem that a contract exists at a standard tarriff even though the company concerned has made no contact with the user.

Subject access requests on the other hand are made under the Data Protectiom legislation and all companies must answer a SAR.

Moorcroft together with evidence of their misdoings should be reported to the OFT - do not just use a 'report to OFT' as a threat. Report them. OFT are investigating them and it may well be that they will be refused a licence for them to act as a DCA. They are the worst offenders in the large size DCA world and action by OFT against them will raise a huge splash in a very murky pool.

• 2 months later...

Help Please! Had a letter FROM MDR today, as a follow up to a CCA Agreement request. They said as my account was concerning a mobile phone bill with Orange, they "believed" it was excluded from the act. Has anyone been in the same position? If so is there a template letter to take this further? Only together can we beat these people. KNOWLEDGE IS POWER.....LETS SHARE IT!!! Any help gratefully received.

Moorcroft are not a bailiff firm they are a dca with absolutly no powers what so ever. They could send a 'field agent' around but if they haven't got an appointment with you then they are in breach of the OFT guidelines if they do send someone round.

I have had the pleasure of dealing with these morons a few times and if you stand your ground and fight they will soon cower under another rock until their next victim comes along.

I would complain to the OFT and Trading Standards as Moorcroft are misrepresenting themselves into being something they're not ie bailiffs when they clearly aren't.

Andy...

Hi folks just updating and reading through info that may help me ; given what I have read here I need to ask a question Can anyone other than a county court instruct bailiffs and can any tom dick and harry apply to court and get a CCJ against you for debts without having to provide proof they are a creditor.

They seem not to have stopped. I got one a few days ago addressed to "EMEI Ltd". They entitled it "Re: THAMES WATER UTILITIES" and seem to be asking for the best part of £300. Having read this thread, I think I will let them wait. This is obviously erroneous because there can not be a company based at my address and no one here is responsible for utility bills (I live in a student hall of residence).

I still had a small heart attack when I read the letter with "NOTICE OF INTENDED LITIGATION" in a big red box.

Had another letter from Moorcroft saying they required a monthly repayment proposal that I could afford and maintain!!! I think I am correct in saying that, whilst the account is in dispute (obviously), that I do not have to provide them with any such personal information. Sure I saw something to this effect somewhere recently, but can't find it now. Can anyone out there help/confirm this? Cheers all, keep up the good fight.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4485 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks