GE Motor Loans & Getting Rid Of!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6064 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

My first post in this section, not sure if it is THE best place for it, but point me in the direction of the area if I am incorrect!

Background:

My husband purchased an 04 reg Vauxhall Corsa Life (1.0, 12v) from a Vauxhall Dealer on 20th Septemeber 2005 and had finance from GE Capital Motor Loans to purchase the vehicle on a 4 year loan.

All payments are up to date, indeed we over pay because we pay on the automated card system (installement is £185 per month, we pay £200).

We recently took the car for it's first MOT and 50k service. The Vauxhall dealer we bought it form carried out the service.

We were advised the car was not safe to drive as it's timing chain was about to break and it was not a warranty issue as it was wear and tear and hence normal and the bill would be around £600. We were quite suprised by this so we took the car to another garage, owned by an acaquiantance of our, who also confirmed the timing chain was about to break but also advised us that Vauxhall were aware of this problem on Corsa's and Vectra's from an X-reg plate to an 05 plate and a check should have been carried out.

I then called the dealer back and they then claimed the car had been back to them on 5th October 2005 for a timing chain replacement and it should last 50k, we bought the car at 21k.

We certainly did not take the car back on 5th October 2005 and looking back through our diaries we saw that I was actually in hospital having an operation and hubby was with me, so we strongly refute that claim.

I then telephoned Vauxhall customer service and they advised that according to their records, the timing chain had been replaced via Vauxhall on 5th October 2005, we disputed this with them and they gave us a case reference number which we could apparently take to any Vauxhall dealer and get the chain checked. However, when I have tried to book it in at 5 seperate Vauxhall dealers, they have all refused to look at it when I give them the case number. I changed tack and then said 'I'd like you to look at my timing chain' I'd then give them my number plate and they would say 'It's been done'.

We took the opportunity of writing to Vauxhall to ask what we were meant to do because we couldn't get the car looked at in line with what they wanted us to do, this was at the begining of May. We had no reply so we sent a further letter by recorded delivery, enclosing the first letter and we've still had no response.

It's now got to the point where the car has had to come off the road now and we are still paying for it, we actually have 5k still left to pay on it :eek: over another 2 years, although this includes an optional final payment.

My husband spoke to GE as Vauxhall indicated on the phone that GE had some responsibility, they refute this and have said that although it is a 'Motor Loan', and it is secured on the car, their terms and conditions have changed since we bought the car and they no long accept any liability for faults.

It's warranty runs out on 19th September 2007 but they claim this is not a warranty issue.

Whilst we are happy to get it done and pay for it, it is going to be a few months before we can afford to get it done, whilst we are still paying for the car.

Our local friendly garage has given us a quote of £400 for the work.

We'd appreciate any ideas on this, whether Vauxhall should carry out the work or whether the finance company hold any responsibility.

Tooth_Fairy

All my knowledge has been gained from personal experience and the sharing of advice from fellow members.

Sorry can't actually advise you but would say my daughter had problems with Ford Focus and GE Money. the cost of her repairs was £2,500. Ford refused under Warranty so Trading Standards are now dealing with this. My advice would be to contact them. Their opinion is that as GE Money own the car they should be dealing with this matter.

Good luck hope someone with more knowledge comes along and can help.

Thanks Surprise, sorry to hear about your Daughter's car. We will certainly keep in mind about trading standards and I hope her car gets sorted soon.

All my knowledge has been gained from personal experience and the sharing of advice from fellow members.

If they say the timing chain was replaced in October 2005 - who actually paid for it - you or Vauxhall, and how many miles had it done? I had a vectra and I have to say Vauxhall head office were useless and the warranty on the vehicle was rubbish. I can't see how it would cost this much to replace a chain - I had my cambelt done at Vauxhall for £250.00.

Good luck

Well, Vauxhall say they did it, although they cannot provide any evidence of the work being done, it apparently should have a sticker under the bonnet to say it has been done but it doesn't, they also say it should be detailed in my service booklet, again, nothing.

It had done 21K when I received it and this is apparently when the timing chain was replaced.

• 3 months later...

Hi all

Haven't been around for a little bit, been on my holidays!

Can anyone give me some sensible advice please?

I have a GE Motor Loan for a 04 plate Corsa, bought in September 2005 with 3k on the clock from a Vauxhall main dealer. I am exactly 2 years into my agreement, which is 4 years. I have had multiple problems with the car, timing chain going at 24k, gearbox failure, electronic failure and much more, however until March this year, these were covered by the Vauxhall warranty, however Vauxhall would not allow me to extend my warranty because of the multitude of problems!!

Anyway, I now owe about £5600 in total, including interest, charges and £1300 optional final payment.

I am wanting to get rid of the car, but GE aren't helping.

I had my car valued by 3 dealers, Vauxhall, Car Supermarket and local dealer and the average value is £2900, so I have offered GE either the car back or I will sell the car, plus £1900, as I would be cutting 2 years off my agreement, but they say I cannot do this and I have to continue with my next two years.

The car is costing me too much money, there is always something wrong with it that needs fixing, I have a list from it's last service of urgent and recommended work, which, if I were to have everything done, would be over £1500, fortunately, this service came after it's MOT, which it did fail, but I had work done in order to for it to pass. The most urgent job is something to do with the power steering fluid pump.

I am adverse to throwing money at this car now and I have been offered a company car if I do get rid of my car but GE are being quite difficult trying to sort anything out.

Does anyone know of a better way to handle this issue, I really want to get rid of the car asap.

Thanks

• dx100uk changed the title to Car Problems & GE Capital Motor Loans Car Finance