Cabot and Ultimate Credit Services

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6170 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

First off I just want to say how relieved I am that I'm not the only person who thinks Cabot are a fleet of bastards!

Anyway, I need some advice if possible.

My partner was called by his mum on the 9th of May who said that a company called Cabot had called. He called them back and they informed him that he had an outstanding Barclaycard balance that they had now acquired which was £325. This probably would have originated from 1999 as it was a student Barclaycard. Anyway, he asked if the debt was even still valid as it was well over the 6 year write off stage. He was told that because he hadn't told them that he'd moved, the debt was still active.

Anyway, because it was a nominal amount which he'd totally forgotten about, he suggested he'd repay at £35 a month to clear the balance. The lady said she'd have to check that this amount was ok and she then called back to confirm they'd agree the amount.

My partner gave his bank account number and sort code to set up a direct debit instruction. They said they'd send out a mandate. This was on the 9th. As yet nothing has arrived.

Anyway, today a company called Ultimate Credit Services called my partners parents number (which must have been taken from when he opened the account and still lived at home) and were incredibly abrupt and abusive. They then called my partner. They didn't even do any identity checks to verify that he was indeed the debitor. Nothing, no date of birth, nothing. He proceeded to launch into how the person he had spoken to had made a mistake and that £35 was not acceptable. They demanded the amount in full or threatened further action.

Now, here's the weird part. The number they called from was identical to the number Cabot had called from on the 9th May. The person was abusive, abrupt argumentative and downright rude. My partner gave him authorisation to speak to me and the person apparently noted this down and began to lambaste me. He made assumptions about our finances and was generally obnoxious.

He also told me a completely contrdictory story as to why the amount agreed with Cabot was no good as we hadn't sent the direct debit instruction back. It seemed like he was making the story up as he went along. I'm sorry angry I've went to the company house website and have managed to get the Directors details...I feel like calling him personally to have a go at him! I won't, but it would be totally justified!

Has anyone any ideas where to go from here? I was dubious about making any payments as this company UCS seem like total cowboys. Cabot seemed ok when my partner spoke to them weeks back, now this UCS company just seem like a nightmare?

What are my partners rights? Where should we go from here? How best should I proceed? I made a point of saying all through the phone call that my partner was very eager to come to an arrangement...but the guy just kept saying he couldn't do anything to help me and he required the full amount...blah blah bkah

Ideas?

Firstly, I would say read this

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/cabot/73598-dealing-cabot-101-a.html

Don't pay them anything as the debt is 8 years old.

If I was you, I would send a Subject Access Request to Cabot, this will get you a copy of all their records and make a CCA request.

Remember if you find anything I say helpful, please click the scales

tbern123 vs Cabot

1. Cabot again !!! Urgent Help Needed
  2. Litigation - tbern123 V Cabot Financial (Uk) Limited
  3. No more calls from Cabot... lol

Thanks.

I'm going to assume that it's still Cabot pulling the strings and that UCS are some random cowboy company that they farm out nominal debts to...I mean, they called us out of the blue on a bank holiday.

Should I send the SARN to Cabot or UCS? I've had no correspondence from either...only phone calls...nothing in writing at all.

Or you could just send them this letter:

Your home address)

Date: ____________

To: ______________

Dear Sir/Madam

Account no:

You have contacted me/us regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself/ourselves.

I/we would point out that I/we have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to (insert company name).

I am/we are familiar with the Office of Fair Trading Debt Collection Guidance which states that it unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

I/we would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable. In not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive/and or unfair methods.

Furthermore ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical/psychological harassment.

I/we would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide evidence as to my/our liability for the debt in question.

I/we await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise I will have no option but to make a complaint to the trading standards department and consider informing the OFT of your actions.

I/we look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully

(Your signature)

Remember to send everything either recorded delivery or special delivery.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

That's the thing...I don't even have an account number! I've had nothing from Cabot in writing at all! I wonder if the best place to start is to send the letter saying not to contact me by phone. To be honest, I'd like to see an actual LETTER from them!

Also, i'm a bit green when it comes to debt. My partner would have defaulted on his barclaycard at his really old (we've moved like 4 times since then) address. Would all this show up on his credit file at our address now? We gave them our new address when we spoke to them on the 9th. My partner conceded that he was a debtor...does this affect getting it written off?