HBOS Claim Won - No Court Action!

lawmcd

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5461 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello All, I'm a first time poster but I just wanted to say thanks as I have been regularly reading the scottish board for two months on how to claim back my charges... and I recieved a letter from Halifax BOS on Saturday (21/05) to say that as a gesture of good will my charges would be credited to my account within 14 Days.. and this was without court action.

Here a summary of my claim:

March 13 2007 - sent prelim requesting that my charges be repaid as they are unlawfull - used standard template as supplied by MoneySavingExpert

Claim Amount £773.89

22 March 2007 - received standard response from Halifax (8 weeks to reply. etc)

27 March 2007 - sent LBA threating court action - again standard time limit and template as provided by MSE

06 April 2007 - another stanard reply from Halifax (origanal 8 week time limit still applies, etc)

I know a lot of people at this point have went straight to Court Action and submitting the relevant claim but I had a lot on that month so I decided to wait until the final reply after the eight weeks were complete - I'm sure I had also read that some people got a refund at that point any way so I decided to be hopefull!

16 May 2007 - received "investigation" response.. again same as most people have described - complaint declined - all charges were applied correctly , bank will be happy to help manage my account, etc :(

21 May 2007 - decided to phone the number provided on the declined letter for the Customer Relation Manager that dealt with my complaint

At first he basically repeated what was in the letter, I then stated that I was in the process of contacting the FSO regarding the complaint.

At this point I asked him to provide me a detailed list of the service costs applied to the bank for each individual charge i had recieved. At this point

his demeanour changed, he gave me the usual "can't provide you that information" but I wasn't phased (I used to work a Quality Complaint Investigator so I'm used to these situations).

I then enquired if that meant they could effectively charge me whatever they wanted without providing justification, I also said at this point I would proceed with Court Action.

He then added this to my complaint record and said someone would be in contact by phone or mail within a few days.

Four days latter and I have full repayment (minus one charge which was from an earlier period) and I'm happy.:)

Anyway , hopefully other people can use this as a eccentive - it must be stressing going down the Court Action road even though it's likely you would win. If anyone has any questions just ask away.

Thanks Again to all the posters who have kept me motivated.

Phoned BOS, they are now quoting 8 weeks for my complaint to be reviewed again. I then told them I would be writing to the FOS in the meantime it suddenly became as soon as possible!!!Thanks to lawmcd for the info

Phoned BOS, they are now quoting 8 weeks for my complaint to be reviewed again. I then told them I would be writing to the FOS in the meantime it suddenly became as soon as possible!!!Thanks to lawmcd for the info

Crikey!

And you only posted 3 times here!

Dummie's Guide to CAG: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/welcome-consumer-forums/107001-how-do-i-dummies.html

Me v BofS: Charges: £13,048.10 #2a/c Statements from 08/01/01 received. Charges:£5,156.39 Information Commissioner's Office informed June 12th who wrote to BoS, June 22nd for non-compliance. #1a/c: passed to BoS Senior Review Team. Discovered 2 further a/cs, and 3 Loan accounts. "Goodwill offer" of £7,424.23 06/07/07. Accepted (partial repayment). 20/07/07 Top-up payments of £2,558.10 & £1,154.00

£11,136.33 paid back thus far.

New claim issued: 9/07/2007 for 3rd account: £500+ PRESSING ON!

Don't forget - when you win - a donation to CAG would be welcome!

If anything I've said has remotely been of any assistance, then please tip my scales!

"At this point I asked him to provide me a detailed list of the service costs applied to the bank for each individual charge i had recieved. At this point

his demeanour changed, he gave me the usual "can't provide you that information" but I wasn't phased (I used to work a Quality Complaint Investigator so I'm used to these situations).

I then enquired if that meant they could effectively charge me whatever they wanted without providing justification, I also said at this point I would proceed with Court Action."

Well done in getting the claim settled, you can relax now.

The above point you made is very interesting. I think I will do the same in writing. I the potentially have that bit of ammo plus I can show their response to the FOS, if I go down that route.

It just shows that it pays to contact these people and listen, posing the right type of questions. If it can be demonstrated in writing that that should be helpful.

Anyone else??

Any advice given by me is based solely on my experience in claiming, my experience in CAG or my opinion. I have no legal background. I want to encourage others to reclaim what is theirs.

Got a DCA breaking OFT guidance. Complain to the OFT about the DCA. Help put an end to these practices-

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/letter-templates/155095-complain-oft-about-unfair.html#post1652270

Register with CAG today, its free, its a great community:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/register.php

[email protected].

Thankyou Kennythecelt:)

i wouldnt encourage anyone to wait for 8 weeks after receiving there final response. The step by step instructions and procedure are there for a reason, and the reason being generally the bank will NOT refund your charges unless you start court action.

LAwMcD, as they have pointed out themselves, has experience of dealing with these kind of people, and perhaps knew which buttons to push during the telecon with customer service. But your average punter doesnt know what to say, and seeing as there is nothing you CAN say to get your charges back, i would fully advise members stick to the tried and tested methods, the step-by-step instructions and the rules of engagement, which are all available in the FAQ's.

Oh!

I was thinking about that approach - but maybe not, after all!

*Tried and tested route* - as my Heiland granny used to say!

Dummie's Guide to CAG: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/welcome-consumer-forums/107001-how-do-i-dummies.html

Me v BofS: Charges: £13,048.10 #2a/c Statements from 08/01/01 received. Charges:£5,156.39 Information Commissioner's Office informed June 12th who wrote to BoS, June 22nd for non-compliance. #1a/c: passed to BoS Senior Review Team. Discovered 2 further a/cs, and 3 Loan accounts. "Goodwill offer" of £7,424.23 06/07/07. Accepted (partial repayment). 20/07/07 Top-up payments of £2,558.10 & £1,154.00

£11,136.33 paid back thus far.

New claim issued: 9/07/2007 for 3rd account: £500+ PRESSING ON!

Don't forget - when you win - a donation to CAG would be welcome!

If anything I've said has remotely been of any assistance, then please tip my scales!