• Tweets

• This is the other sign  parking sign 1a.pdf
    • 4 means that they need to name and then tell the people who will be affected that there has been an application made, what the application relates to (specificially "whether it relates to the exercise of the court’s jurisdiction in relation to P’s property and affairs, or P’s personal welfare, or to both) and what this application contains (i.e what order they want made as a result of it) 5 just means that teh court think it is important that the relevant people are notified 7 means that the court need more information to make the application, hence they have then made the order of paragraph 1 which requires the applicant to do more - this means the court can't make a decision with the current information, and need more, hence paragraph one of the order is for the applicant to do more. paragraph 3 of the order gives you the ability to have it set aside, although if it was made in january you are very late. Were you notiifed of the application or not?    
    • These are the photos of the signs. At the entrance there is a 7h free sign. On some bays there is a permit sign.  Also their official website is misleading as it implies all parking is free.  I can't be certain of the exact parking bay I was in that day, and there was no PCN ticket on my car and no other evidence was provided.  parking sign 2.pdf
    • Hi, In my last post I mentioned I had received an email from SS who were asking me to hand over the keys to my mother’s flat so they could pass them to the Law firm who have been appointed court of protection to access, secure and insure my mother’s property.  Feeling this, all quickly getting out of my hands I emailed ss requesting proof of this. I HAVEN’T HEARD BACK FROM SS.  Yesterday, I received an email (with attached court of protection order) from the Law Firm confirming this was correct (please see below a copy of this).  After reading the court of protection order I do have some concerns about it:   (a)   I only found out yesterday, the Law firm had been appointed by the court back in January.  Up until now, I have not received any notification regarding this.  (b)   Section 2   - States I am estranged from my mother.  This is NOT CORRECT    The only reason I stepped back from my mother was to protect myself from the guy (groomer) who had befriended her & was very aggressive towards me & because of my mother’s dementia she had become aggressive also.  I constantly tried to warned SS about this guy's manipulative behaviour towards my mother and his increasing aggressiveness towards me (as mentioned in previous posts).  Each time I was ignored.  Instead, SS encouraged his involvement with my mother – including him in her care plans and mental health assessments.   I was literally pushed out because I feared him and my mother’s increasing aggression towards me. Up until I stepped back, I had always looked after my mother and since her admission to the care home, I visit regularly.   .(c)    Sections -  4, 5 and 7  I am struggling to understand these as I don’t have a legal background.  I was wondering if there is anyone who might be able to explain what they mean.  It’s been a horrendous situation where I had to walk away from my mother at her most vulnerable because of; ss (not helping), scammer and groomer. I have no legal background, nor experience in highly manipulative people or an understanding of how the SS system operates, finding myself isolated, scared and powerless to the point I haven’t collected my personal belongings and items for my mother’s room in the care home.  Sadly, the court has only had heard one version of this story SS’s, and based their decision on that. My mother’s situation and the experience I have gone through could happen to anyone who has a vulnerable parent.    If anyone any thoughts on this much appreciated.  Thank you. ______________________________________________________  (Below is the Court of Protection Order)  COURT OF PROTECTION                                                                                                                                                                                   No xxx  MENTAL CAPACITY ACT 2005 In the matter of Name xxx ORDER Made by  Depty District Judge At xxx Made on xxx Issued on 18 January 2024  WHEREAS  1.     xxx Solicitors, Address xxx  ("Applicant”) has applied for an order under the Mental Capacity Act 2005.  2.     The Court notes (my mother) is said to be estranged from all her three children and only one, (me) has been notified.  3.     (Me) was previously appointed as Atorney for Property and Affairs for (my mother).  The Exhibity NAJ at (date) refers to (me) and all replacement Attorneys are now officially standing down.  4.     Pursuant to Rule 9.10 of the Court of Protection Rules 2017 and Practice Direction 9B the Applicant 2must seek to identify at least three persons who are likely to have an interest in being notified that an application has been issues.”  The children of (my mother), and any other appointed attorneys are likely to have an interest in the application, because of the nature of relationship to (my mother).  5.     The Court considers that the notification requirements are an important safeguard for the person in respect of whom an order is sought.  6.     The Court notes that it is said that the local authority no longer has access to (my mother’s) Property.  7.     Further information is required for the Court to determine the application.  IT IS ORDERED THAT  Within 28 days of the issue date this order, the Applicant shall file a form COP24 witness statement confirming that the other children of (my mother) and any replacement attorneys have been notified of the application and shall confirm their name, address, and date upon which those persons were notified.  If the Applicant wishes the Court to dispense with any further notification, they should file a COP9 and COP24 explaining, what steps (if any) have been taken to attempt notification and why notification should be dispensed with.   Pending the determination of the application to appoint a deputy for (my mother), the Applicant is authorised to take such steps as are proportionate and necessary to access, secure and insure the house and property of (my mother).   This order was made without a hearing and without notice.  Any person affected by this order may apply within 21 days of the date on which the order was served to have the order set aside or varied pursuant to Rule 13.4 of the Court of Protection Rules 2017 (“the Rules”).  Such application must be made on Form COP9 and in accordance with Part 10 Rules.              
    • Unless I've got an incorrect copy of the relevant regulation: The PCN is only deemed to have arrived two days after dispatch "unless the contrary is proved" in which case date of delivery does matter (not just date of posting) and I would like clarification of the required standard of proof. It seems perhaps this hasn't been tested. Since post is now barcoded for the Post Office's own tracking purposes perhaps there is some way I can get that evidence from the Post Office...
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

car2403 -v- Natwest

car2403
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5236 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Received an "Amended General Order or Judgment" with the standard stay wording - now, I'm not sure if this is in response to the Bank's prompts that the Court has issued an Order with incorrect wording, (the Order does say "in response to the Defendant's letter" - which I haven't seen) or, if this is the response to my letter requesting the stay to be lifted.

I'm going to wait another few days then ring the Court to see what their reply to my Stay Lift request is... not holding my breath, though!

I've just called Morpeth and Berwick County Court to be told my application to lift the stay is refused, regardless of my circumstances - I'll be asking for a hearing before the Judge and letting them know about my disappointment and the fact they've totally ignored my arguments against and just blatantly accepted the Defendant's version... for what it's worth...

The order I've received isn't worded as "the application to have the stay lifted refused" so I've asked the Clerk to refer my letter back to the Judge again...

Application to lift the stay denied, I've asked for the decision to refuse it to be referred back to the Judge again - still denied and original/standard Order to stay still stands.

I can't be bothered with banging my head against a brick wall, so I won't even ask about holding a hearing! Thank you, Justice!

I'm so sorry car - it's disgraceful to get this far with a claim only to have it put on hold without good reason. :mad:

It wouldn't be so bad if the courts were being consistent with stays........ but they aren't. Some are still continuing as normal whilst some are still dealing with claims on a 'case by case' basis. Unfortunately, others are just issuing stays as though they're passing sweets around the playground. :mad:

I really am sorry - let's hope this test case is heard sooner rather than later. x

Can't find what you're looking for? Please have a look at Michael Browne's

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

I do not answer queries via PM. If you send me a PM, please include a link to your thread - any advice I am able to offer will be on your thread.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

How shocking is this?;

General Form of Judgment or Order;

Before Deputy District Judge X sitting at X County Court.

Upon the claim coming to the end of the stay and no correspondance being received from either party.

IT IS ORDERED THAT

The Claim stands dismissed

Dated 24 November 2008

Now, the amended order does state;

IT IS ORDERED THAT

The District Judge has considered that papers in the case and upon it appearing that the issues in this claim are identical to those likely to be the subject of proceedings in the Commercial Court betwee the Office of Fair Trading and certin financial institutions ("the test case") pursuance to an Agreement made on 25 July 2007.

Ordered that;

1) This claim is stayed until one calendar month after judgment in the test case (including any appeal) or 31 October 2008, whichever is sooner

2) Either part may upon notice to the other to apply to lift the stay at any stage up to the earliest of the two dates provided for in paragraph 1 above

3) If no application is made to lift the stay, or seek further directions before the earliest of the dates provided for in paragraph 1 above, the claim shall stand dismissed without further order.

4) Because the order has been made by the Court without considering representations from the parties, the parties have the right to apply to have the order set aside, varied, or stayed. A party wishing to make an application must send of deliver the application to the Court (together with the appropriate fee) to arrive within seven days of the date of this notice.

Dated 20 August 2007

Now, is this Court having a laff, as surely they could "without considering representations from the parties" extend the stay or issue further directions? Doesn't seem likely. It's just as well I wrote to the Court in the middle of October to ask them to issue new directions - which they haven't. So, I'll be sending another letter to ask them to reinstate the claim and to issue new directions.

Tsk, tsk...:mad:

Is the case stayed or dismissed? I am confused by both the quoted bits. Stay until October 2008 yet dismissed November 2008.

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

It was stayed until Judgment in the TC or the end of October 2008, where it would be dismissed without further order.

The issue is I wrote to the Court, as requested in the Order, and they've either not received the letter or haven't processed it. (I may even say they've chosen to ignore it, if I was being suspicious)

I'll see what comes back from writing to them again, with a copy of the first letter, in which case the claim should be reinstated and stayed further, IMHO. (They'll probably want a fee for that, but I can't see why I should pay when I've complied with the first stay order)

Hi car2403

I am very curious and would like to ask you if you have had any letters or contact by Cobbetts over the past weeks??, it would sem no one is getting any correspondence from Cobbetts and I am very curious as to why if that is in fact the case..

sparkie

Hi car2403

I am very curious and would like to ask you if you have had any letters or contact by Cobbetts over the past weeks??, it would sem no one is getting any correspondence from Cobbetts and I am very curious as to why if that is in fact the case..

sparkie

Had nothing from them at all since the stay was applied last year.

• 3 weeks later...
How shocking is this?;

Now, the amended order does state;

Now, is this Court having a laff, as surely they could "without considering representations from the parties" extend the stay or issue further directions? Doesn't seem likely. It's just as well I wrote to the Court in the middle of October to ask them to issue new directions - which they haven't. So, I'll be sending another letter to ask them to reinstate the claim and to issue new directions.

Tsk, tsk...:mad:

File still with a District Judge to review and issue new instructions.

If I don't have them by the New Year, I'll chase this up again, as it's been in the process of issuing new directions since 5 December.

Edited by car2403

If I don't have them by the New Year, I'll chase this up again, as it's been in the process of issuing new directions since 5 December.

Hi car1403,

Keep up the pressure mate you will win.

sparkie

Claim reinstated and stayed pending final determination of the issues in the test case, including any appeal;

Within 28 days of such determination (including any appeal) either party may apply for further directions for the future conduct of the claim and the claim shall stand struck out if no application for further directions is made within that time

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Well, well, well. After all the furore about this OFT TC judgment today, the announcement really helps;

The Consumer Forums - Announcements in Forum : NatWest Bank

So, this is going off to the Court by fax, tomorrow;

Dear Sir/Madam,

Case No: 7****** - car2403 –v– National Westminster Bank PLC

I, the Claimant in the case above, refer to the Claim above and specifically to the order, staying the claim, made by District Judge XXX, dated XXXX.

I understand that the Judicial Press Office has advised Claimants to write and request a lifting of their stayed claim.

As my claim for Bank Charges is brought under Regulation 5 of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999, and is therefore not affected by the recent Supreme Court Judgment, in fact the Supreme Court has indicated that a challenge to "fairness" of my Banking Contract under Regulation 5 may be an appropriate route to take. I would refer the Court to Paragraphs 22 to 27 of the “Statement of Evidence”, submitted to the Court on 14 June 2007)

I therefore request that the stay be lifted, that any necessary directions be given, and that a date be listed for a hearing of my claim.

Yours faithfully

There's also a sneaky copy going to Cobbett's - if their fax machine is free to receive it, that is... ;)

gawd

the OFT stay came at most two weeks too early for my last two claims against Barclays and NatWest, court dates and everything, rather upset at the time

any estimates on when new court dates would be if they do lift the stays?

and is there going to be a legal argumet to master?

I pesume the old roll over and pay days are over and banks will be happy to argue the toss in court now with this new ruling backing them so strongly?

gawd

the OFT stay came at most two weeks too early for my last two claims against Barclays and NatWest, court dates and everything, rather upset at the time

Well, quite, yes. This NatWest one was stayed on the day of the FSA Waiver coming in to force - :mad:

any estimates on when new court dates would be if they do lift the stays?

I'm hoping weeks ;)

and is there going to be a legal argumet to master?

Legal argument, yes, but it's not new. My original POC (based on the CAG Court Bundles at the time - 2 years ago) outlined the legal reasoning in querying the fairness of these charges under regulation 5 of the UTCCR 1999. That's the bit you need to get your head around, now - it's not that difficult to understand, though. ;)

I pesume the old roll over and pay days are over and banks will be happy to argue the toss in court now with this new ruling backing them so strongly?

Only time will tell. They are claiming the OFT TC as a victory, so I can't see them wanting to undermine that too quickly by defending cases in County Courts and losing them. Who knows, maybe I'll be the first one they'll pay out, then? :)

• 4 weeks later...

:D

It is ordered that;

1. The stay is lifted

2. Permission to the Claimant to file and serve on the Defendant amended particulars of claim by 18 January 2010.

3. Permission to the Defendant to file and serve amended Defence by 8 February 2010.

4. Further Allocation Questionnaire's to be filed when Defence is received, no fee will be payable.

5. Because this order has been made by the Court without considering the representations from the parties, the parties have a right to apply to have the order set aside, varied or stayed. A party wishing to make an application must send or deliver the application to the Court to arrive within seven dats of service of the order

Dated; 16 December 2009

they're going to ask for a stay aren't they ...

Possibly, now the OFT seem to want to get their fingers out and sort the mess out - I'm just hoping that I don't have to wait another 2 years for this debarcle to be sorted out.

I wish I was a fly on the wall in their offices when these orders land on their desks.

I'm hoping the Court charges them a fee for requesting a stay, if they do. :lol: