Unusual parking fine problem

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6174 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Although I have read the sticky thread on the law regarding private parking firms, I could use any advice on what to do regarding this somewhat unusual problem.

This is the situation: I have been issued a 'parking charge notice' by CHP Associates, a private security/parking firm based in Bristol for parking my moped (a 49cc scooter) at some stands in Anchor Square in Bristol.

The stands are those generally designed for bicycles, but I could not see any alternative parking for motorbikes etc nearby and could not see any signs indicating the stands were for bicycle use only.

After leaving the moped secured I returned to find I had been issued the ticket which stated the vehicle had been parked in a 'restricted area' and that I had 'no permit' to park.

The fine is £50 if paid within 14 days and £75 if paid within 21 days.

The ticket says the vehicle was photographed at the time of the ticket issue.

It was a Saturday night so there was only one bicycle occupying the stands (about 10 of them). So I was not causing an obstruction, I wasn't in a disabled bay or on yellow lines or overstaying the specified time in a car park.

The other parts of the ticket have one date and time box, vehicle reg number and a handwritten line saying 'bicycles only'.

I have since revisted the spot to look for signs etc. There are a few simple signs which just say 'bicycles only, no motor vehicles'. And one sign that says roughly: 'private property, unauthorised vehicles will be clamped' and then details of the fine and the company.

Can anyone offer any advice as, obviously, I think this is very unfair. Thanks.

Sounds like a standard [problem] ticket, and your case is strengthened very much more by the absence of any signs. Don't pay, and follow the advice in the other threads.

Post by me are intended as a discussion of the issues involved, as these are of general interest to me and others on the forum. Although it is hoped such discussion will be of use to readers, before exposing yourself to risk of loss you should not rely on any principles discussed without confirming the situation with a qualified person.