really stupid question

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6179 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

remember "There are no stupid question only stupid people" - South Park.

OK so on to the question.

CCA governs how credit agreements are enforced and your rights.

If a DCA or creditor cannot produce your signed, excuted agreement then under CCA 74 they cannot enforce the agreement. Basically it doesn't exist any longer. Saying that it doesn't void the debt, just means that they can't collect on it without a court order.

One of the main reasons to CCA a DCA is to prove that they have the ability to collect moneys on an alledged debt.

You are making them validate the debt and their rights to it.

Now some DCA's try and wriggle out of supplying as they say they aren't the original creditor.

Well, tough, they have to supply the agreement, or copy there of, under section 189 of CCA 74.

Nope that cleasr things up for you, if not shout ;)

• Haha 1

Be VERY careful whose advice you listen too

In order for the debt to be enforceable there needs to be a consumer credit agreement between you and the creditor. The creditor must keep a copy of this. If the creditor does not he can not prove the debt i.e. that you owe the sum of money the DCA is claiming you do.

If the debt can not be proved it is unenforceable (they can not lawfully demand money or take court action against you).

If you send a DCA or creditor a CCA request they have 12 working days from receiving the request to supply you with it. If they do not supply it they have defaulted and you can withhold payment until they produce it.

If after another 30 calender days they have still not provided the copy of the agreement they have committed a summary criminal offence.

Even if the DCA produce a copy of the agreement it has to conform to The Consumer Credit Act 1974. Most credit agreements do not so are unenforceable.

• Haha 1

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Got there first Curly......I'll have to learn to type faster;)

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

thanks guys

my 'debt' is with nationwide, i have already paid over £960 of charges which i am currently trying to claim back. The bit that the dca is involved in is a balance for charges applied to my account after I had stopped using it and which I refused to pay. It consists of nothing but charges and they have registered a default on my credit file for going into unauthorised overdraft (never had a proper od). The dca is really stressing me out, I have emailed, written to and phoned them telling them the account is in dispute and I am dealing with nwide directly. I asked them to stop contacting me or if they did then to only contact me in writing. So far they have sent me a letter saying I have 72 hours notice before they commence court action, 2 messages left on home phone asking me to call them and a TEXT message (i never gave them my number). They are clearly ignoring me but I am getting a bit scared now. The letters I have had are horrible and say things like to ask my self whether i could be made bankrupt, go to prison etc! They are just plain nasty:?

You need to report them to the police, Trading Standards and the OFT.

The complaint to the police should be with regards to harrassment.

The complaint to Trading Standards should be made under The Administration of Justice Act section 40 Debt Help UK : Administration of Justice Act 1970 | UK debt consolidation service with free help and advice | UK debt consolidation service with free help and advice

The complaint to the OFT should be for breach of their guidelines on debt collection.

A couple of points to note they can not make you bankrupt for a disputed debt. A bankruptcy petition would cost them £600 and they would lose as the debt is disputed. Long gone are the days when you could be sent to prison for having debts - they do not appear to know what century we are living in.

thanks again, will definately report them for harrassment because thats what it is, I still have copies of the letter and the email I sent saying the account was in dispute and to stop hassling me! I have ignored both the home phone messages and the text message asking me to ring them as I think this is a way to start threatening me even more!

I said that I was currently trying to get charges back and they said fair enough but we will take you to court anyway because we have the right

Usual b*llocks from them.

In your complaint to the OFT I would ask them if they see this as behaviour of someone fit to hold a consumer credit license. The OFT issue CCL's and can also take them away.

How about a digital camera - you can do it that way.