Nat West Step Account/ Debt

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6176 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Just thought I would mention this. I read on here that the basic nat west step account is available to anyone, no credit check or made. Well I don't think this is the case.

I just tried to open on online wouldn't go past the postcode section, so I rang them. Went through the process with the girl on the phone, al fine untill we get the the postcode and address bit. sorry you have been refused, on the grounds of "unafordablity" What the hell is this. This is a basic account no credit, cheque book, nothing. How can you not afford a bank account?

I am in serious debt and on a reduced payment plan with my creditors, but have no CCJ's and am not a bankcrupt, so it looks like this bank is not offering account to people in debt anymore.

Just tried Co-op bank for cashminder account. Guy wanted to know the ins and outs of a ducks arse, but said it had gone through ok, so will just have to wait and see if anything turns up in the post.

Hi Alf - sorry to hear of your hassle with Natwest. Our finances were in a shocking state but we had no problems getting a Step account last November - if they've changed their criteria then that's a real shame. Funnily enough we had the same problem with the Co-Op! :confused:

WOOLWICH -S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 03/03/07 :cool:

LBA sent for non-compliance with Data Protection Act 28/04/07 :mad:

ABBEY - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 03/03/07 8)

Nationwide and Co-op both did credit checks when i asked them for a basic account, i explained what i wanted no credit etc. They still did a check though and turned me down because of my credit rating:???:

Abbey opened an account with no checks at all.

Nationwide have the habit of trying to give you the wrong account i.e. a current account without an overdraft. If you apply online you can choose the option of whether you want a switch card or just a cashline card. Choose the cashline card for a basic account.

I was turned down by Nationwide when I applied in branch, but was sure they had made a mess of it. So I applied online and suprise, suprise I was accepted.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

I think Nat West turning me down has something to do with who thy are associated with, ie, Royal Bank of Scotland.

I didn't know till I checked the small print on my credit card statement from "MINT" they too are part of Royal Bank of Scotland, so as I owe them money, that no doubt will be the reason for the refusal.

I think Nat West turning me down has something to do with who thy are associated with, ie, Royal Bank of Scotland.

I didn't know till I checked the small print on my credit card statement from "MINT" they too are part of Royal Bank of Scotland, so as I owe them money, that no doubt will be the reason for the refusal.

Yes stay away from any banks that are RBS banks. You could try Halifax they are Bank of Scotland and are not related. If you open a bank account and they are part of the RBS group MINT may then exercise thier right to take money from your bank account because they part of RBS

Just to add, I applied to Halifax for a basic account (parachute account re claiming back bank charges) and although I have had the forms through, haven't had the time to fill them yet. I have noticed however that they have run a credit check (ooh-er!) so will be interesting to see of they approve my application. I picked that account because I was advised they don't run credit checks.

It seems as if some banks have 'moved the goalposts' on these basic accounts :(

Yes Halifax was another bank i went to for a basic 'safe' account.

Having had expereince with Co-op and Nationwide doing checks i had to literally pin the poor guy to the table to make him realise no credit check was to be done. He did admit that if i wasn't so adamant about the no credit check he would of done one regardless. Im finding out they automatically apply you for a current account when you get refused they offer you a basic one, that is not good for people that dont want the 'refused' footprint on thier credit file especially when you didnt ask for credit in the first place.