• Tweets

• Your concern regarding the 14 days delivery is a common one. Not been on the forum that long, but I don't think the following thought has ever been challenged. My view is that they should have proof of when it was posted, not when they "issued", or printed it. Of course, they would never show any proof of postage, unless it went to court. Private parking companies are simply after money, and will just keep sending ever more threatening letters to intimidate you into paying up. It's not been mentioned yet, but DO NOT APPEAL! You could inadvertently give up useful legal protection and they will refuse any appeal, because they're just after the cash...  
    • The sign says "Parking conditions apply 24/7". Mind you, that's after a huge wall of text. The whole thing is massively confusing.  Goodness knows what you're meant to do if you spend only a fiver in Iceland or you stay a few minutes over the hour there.
    • Hi and thanks It looks like they ticked all the boxes to me but I'll try and upload the notice. I was wondering if a witness to late delivery might be considered proof - I'm assuming they posted it as normal but Royal Mail stuffed up delivery. If not then they're really saying it just has to be posted within 12 days of the incident, regardless of when it is received. Annoying! edit ok thanks Honeybee here's my 2nd (actually 3rd) attempt at anonymising, copying and uploading the notice! Sorry about the state of it - I sat on it while distracted by my dog 🙃 pcn front.pdf pcn back page.pdf
    • ROFL - dont get upset just because someone (quite a lot of someones) dont want smart meters - well unless you get paid for it .. in which case ...   I assume you haven't been with Octopus long enough to be on one of the very long fixed price tariffs they offered before the prices went bonkers .. and that you dont use your electricity in the evening/lunch time if you think the 'agile type tariffs are good value .. let alone worth installing a smart meter for - high price a good disincentive for an evening cuppa eh? Let alone all your computer/tv etc time in the peak price evening or lunch time. - and boy do those peak prices instantly hammer your bill when those Russian and middle eastern issues kick off.   I would only have considered a smart meter if solar panels had been an option for me - but roof is oriented completely the wrong way. Oh - and My opinion hasn't changed since the smart meter trials 40 years ago, because neither have the issues (well not enough) but I'm happy for you. Be happy for me.
    • Hi. I'm afraid I've had to hide your post with the pdf files to keep this anonymous for you. You've left the PCN reference number and your car reg showing. Could you edit that and repost please? HB    
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Next Directory, help required please.

VikkiB
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6002 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The next step is really to decide do you want to offer them a full & final payment (of say around 10%) on the debt as they can't enforce it anyway. Or do you want them to close the account and forget about you (as well as removing any adverse information from your credit file) in return for not reporting them for the various statutes that they have breached.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do want to pay this off, I'm happy to pay them monthly an amount we can afford, I had originally offered £50 but to be honest that was going to skint me so I'm going to drop it to £25 a month. How should I go about arranging a payment plan with them, taking into consideration that they cannot legally enfore this debt? surely the fact that I've received goods from them means that legally I owe them all that cash? (sorry for all the questions, this is all really new to me and isn't making much sense at the moment!:| )

Legally you owe them nothing vikki. The only way for them to take you to any court for this account is via the Consumer Credit Act, you then ask for the credit agreement, they do not have one, case is over.

What will happen is they will continue to write letters and make telephone calls. They will probably give a bad mark with the credit agencies. But legally they are stuffed. They will not take you to court.

I do want to pay this off, I'm happy to pay them monthly an amount we can afford, I had originally offered £50 but to be honest that was going to skint me so I'm going to drop it to £25 a month. How should I go about arranging a payment plan with them, taking into consideration that they cannot legally enfore this debt? surely the fact that I've received goods from them means that legally I owe them all that cash? (sorry for all the questions, this is all really new to me and isn't making much sense at the moment!:| )

Under the CCA 1974, they have no legal method to pursue payment on this debt. You reply to their letter, state this fact, inform them that they must remove any adverse data from your credit report or you will seek a court order to declare this debt unenforceable and a further court order requiring them to stop processing your data.

You can also offer a goodwill payment of "£15 a month, until a sum amounting to the principal is paid off" in exchange for them agreeing to remove any negative data from your credit report and both parties waiving all future legal rights to the agreement.

State that unless they agree to the above, you will pay them no further money unless ordered by a court and reserve the right to take legal action against them.

Edit: note that paragraph 2 is not obligatory; you are under no legal requirement to pay them anything whatsoever. It is entirely up to you if you want to do this or not.

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

I am not a qualified or practicing lawyer.

Don't think there is a template to cover it. Post up a draft here, and people will check it for you.

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

How about this? also I'm not sure how to end the letter??

To whom it may concern,

I am writing in regards to the account detailed above. I recently received a letter from yourselves stating that you have no signed credit agreement so under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 you have no way of legally enforcing this debt. I would appreciate no adverse data adding on to my credit file or I will pursue a court order to declare this debt unenforceable and a further court order to stop you processing my data.

I am prepared to offer a goodwill payment of £15 per month until a sum amounting to the principal is paid off in exchange for yourselves not adding any negative data on my credit report and both parties waiving all future legal rights to the agreement. Unless this offer of a payment plan is accepted I will make no further payments unless ordered to do so by a court and I reserve the right to take legal action against yourselves.

:?

I would appreciate no adverse data adding on to my credit file

I am prepared to offer a goodwill payment of £15 per month until a sum amounting to the principal is paid off in exchange for yourselves not adding any negative

What you actually want is the removal of any adverse information on your credit file and the assurance that no adverse information will be added in the future.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

How about this? also I'm not sure how to end the letter??

To whom it may concern,

RE: NOTICE OF INTENDED LEGAL ACTION.

I am writing in regards to the account detailed above. I recently received a letter from yourselves stating that you have no signed credit agreement. I am sure you are aware that as a consequence, under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 you have no method of legally enforcing this debt.

It is also clear that clear that, without a legally enforceable contract, you have no legal right to process my personal data.

It is my intention, unless a suitable compromise can be made,to pursue a court order to declare this debt unenforceable as is my right under the Consumer Consumer Credit Act 1974.

If this order were granted i would then seek a court order under the Data protection Act 1998 requiring you to stop processing my data and to remove any data you may have passed to credit reference agencies. If i was required to seek such orders, the costs to your firm would be substantial and i would seek damages.

Nevertheless, although i am aware I have no legal duty to repay this debt, I feel a moral duty to do so. I am prepared to offer a goodwill payment of £15 per month until a sum amounting to the principal, that is the amount I borrowed without any interest or charges, is paid in full.

In exchange for this agreement, both parties would waive any rights to sue under the agreement and you would agree to remove any negative data on my credit report, and further agree not to add any such data in the future. You should understand that i am only willing to repay this sum under these terms, and unless this is accepted within 28 days I will make no further payments unless either ordered to do so by a court or provided with a signed and properly executed copy of the consumer credit agreement.

If you intend to accept this offer, please sign and date this letter, keeping a copy for yourself. Otherwise, be aware that i will take legal action without further reference to your company.

Yours Sincerly,

YOUR NAME dated yyy.

Signed on behalf of COMPANY NAME)

date

:?

Don't sign your name, only type it. Oh, and guaranteed delivery.

That sounds great, thank you!!! I really appreciate all your help. I'll psot it off tomorrow, one thing, it is going to a PO Box so it isn't signed for..what should I do about that? :confused: still send it recorded / special?

Doesn't the letter have a company registered office on it? That's illegal, under the various company acts, and you should complain to companies house.

If you know the full name, you can get a companies address here: WebCHeck - Select and Access Company Information

I'm sure the address on it is a PO Box address, that is where I sent the request for my signed credit agreement to as well. I have now found their correct company address using that link, thank you. :)

don't forget your complaint to companies house... they MUST include their registered office in all letters. it's the law:)

Legally you owe them nothing vikki. The only way for them to take you to any court for this account is via the Consumer Credit Act, you then ask for the credit agreement, they do not have one, case is over.

What will happen is they will continue to write letters and make telephone calls. They will probably give a bad mark with the credit agencies. But legally they are stuffed. They will not take you to court.

My wifes had a similar letter in reply to a CCA request. As you state they really are stuffed by virtue of the CCA, no agreement no debt end of. It implies clearly in the letter that 'there is still a debt {therefore we will continue to enforce it}'. This is where they come unstuck, how can they enforce the unenforceable? They cant but they think they can & I suppose will contact you and harass, in so doing they break section 40 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970, unfair harassment of debtors. There is a defence in that they could put their hands up and say that they didnt know about the fact that they were in breech of the act, that is why when you write back to them you must state that any further attempt to enforce the debt will be considered to be in breech.

Furthermoer as we have already seen they have processed your data without written consent, I have a letter from the Information Commissioner himself that such permission on its own would not be considered a breech of the DPA. However, if that lack of permission is linked to inaccuracies in the data supplied to the CRAs, remeber you have had interes added to the principal without warrent i.e. unjust enrichment, this means that the debt has been artificially inflated. You really can ride a coach and horses through them with the DPA. Then of course we have the different ways of calculating interest on the acoount, matters I and others have written before, Trading Standards and the Office of Fair Trading should be notified. The former wont do much unless they have a load of complaints, as will the latter, but every journey starts with the first step.

Mike

If I've helped tip my scales

Blair Oliver & Scott, £2500 written off December 2006 Default removed January 2007:D

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt/56001-mike220359-blair-oliver-scott.html

Monument, didn't sign the agreement

:D

Lloyds TSB didn't sign the agreement!

Citicards, didn't sign the agreement

RBS tut, tut!

:rolleyes:

Morgan Stanley, oh dear

:rolleyes:

The mysterious ways Next calculate the service charges (interest to you and me) are on this thread

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/store-cards/80872-next-directory-statement-interest.html

If you want to complain to the OFT and get NEXT's conduct investigated check post #36 on this thread

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/store-cards/69695-next-directory-covered-cca-2.html

Hi Vikkib,

Sorry yo jump in, but have you been in contact with the CCCS Consumer Credit Counseling Service. If so you should have been given a client No, NEXT like dealing with people who have this client No. When I contacted NEXT and informed them I was dealing with the CCCS NEXT accepted an offer of £5.00 per month and all interest and charges were frozen.

I suggest you try this first and save the CCA request for a later date.

A lot of companies will provide your CCA request, but if you wait until the Default Notice is sent, then they instruct a DCA (Debt Collecting Agent)you should then CCA the DCA as in a lot of cases the DCA takes longer to respond and in some cases not at all and will default on your CCA request making the debt in dispute. Therefore no action can be taken until they comply with your CCA request.

Regards

Cashin:)

The DCA will just request it from Next. Next are not very good at providing credit agreements anyway.

LMAO rory32 thats an understatement - have they provided any?

Not to my knowledge. Although they are quite good at stating that they don't have one.

Hi, Next have already told me that they don't have a signed credit agreement for me. I sent the letter that was written earlier in this post to them on Saturday just gone, I'll keep you all informed of my progress!

Thanks for your help guys, much appreciated. :)

Hi All just received a letter from Next saying basically the same thig as everyone else: i.e. "we do not have a copy of CCa but they have obtained legal advice anda debt is still a debt"

Actually I dont owe them this as it is mostly made up of non credited returned items and items that were never received!!

They go on to say "should this paayment not be made a default entry will be made on your credit reference file, which may affect........."

Can antyone point me in the right direction of a letter to return to them pointing out that they cannot do this??

Hey Vin,

Which letter did you find to send them? I had a similar letter from them today saying they don't have an agreement blah blah blah but that my default still stands, they enclosed a copy but that if I pay all the money owed they will take off the default. NOt sure what to go back with now, I liked the previous letter but does that mean they will take the default off straight away once they agree or would I have to wait until all the money had been paid before they removed it?

Thanks

pinky :p