taking landlord/estate agents to court . .

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6115 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I moved out of my previous property in feb07, and on the day of the check out the estate agent said that we would have no problem getting the deposit back.

However, a cheque arrived and they have deducted £185 for:

not keeping the garden to an acceptable standard

Not paying rent by standing order

Stain the carpets

lightbulbs missing.

I have written to the estate agents who have ignored my letter in which i explained that the dis repairs were there when we moved in and as they failed to provide an inventory, to dispute that.

I have written to them again and asked for the landlords details as it is him who is with holding the money, and also a breakdown and invoices showing that the deposit is being used for the stuff he alleges i damaged.

If i take him to court, and i dont have the landlords details, do i take the landlord to court, as they are his agents?

Also, do i add on 8%interest or is that just with banks?

Much Appriciated

HSBC- £1186 :DSettled in full

Yorkshire Bank - Settled in full :D £1214

Nationwide - Data Protection Act sent

CC Homes - LBA issued

You can ONLY sue the landlord, noone else.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

So HOW do i sue the landlord we only dealt with the agent, and they wont respond to my letters asking for the landlords details?!

CC Homes - LBA issued

Karljj1,

Under Section 1 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 (c.70) they have to give the landlords details - extract:

Disclosure of landlord’s identity.

1. - (1) If the tenant of premises occupied as a dwelling makes a written request for the landlord’s name and address to—

(a) any person who demands, or the last person who received, rent payable under the tenancy, or

(b) any other person for the time being acting as agent for the landlord, in relation to the tenancy,

that person shall supply the tenant with a written statement of the landlord’s name and address within the period of 21 days beginning with the day on which he receives the request.

(2) A person who, without reasonable excuse, fails to comply with subsection (1) commits a summary offence and is liable on conviction to a fine not exceeding level 4 on the standard scale.

(3) In this section and section 2—

(a) “tenant” includes a statutory tenant; and

(b) “landlord” means the immediate landlord.

Section 2 covers the case where the landlord is a corporate body.

I think somewhere in the Act it states that the landlords address must be in the UK - or else c/o an assigned agent.

Regards,

John

You can ONLY sue the landlord, noone else.

Actually I named the LA as the co defendant on the N1 form. Seems to focus the mind somewhat and stop the usually we dont have your deposit the LL does and I dont have your deposit the LA does argument.

Thanks John the above info is very useful. They have 10 days with which to respond to my previous letter (i'm not holding my breath).

Then i will write to them again stating that i know they have to tell me and if they refuse i will list them as co-defendeants as Planner did.

Quick Question tho, Planner did you have to go to court or did you settle?

All information much appriciated :D

CC Homes - LBA issued

Sorry, forgot to ask, can the estate agent withhold receipts and invoices which i have asked for to prove that the money is going on the house?

I wrote and asked them but have got no reply. :mad:

Ignorant twerps

CC Homes - LBA issued

It ended up in court im affraid. The judge awarded me £540 of the £640 deposit the LL was witholding. The LL gave me a cheque in the court room there and then so no problems trying to enforce the judgement in my particular case.

• 4 weeks later...

OK . . . Quick update. After writing 2 letters and not getting a response i phoned the LA. They had decided i wasnt etitled to know any of the LL details until i read out the statement from John howell above. I was told it would be with me by the end of the week.

18 days later and i'm still waiting.

I tried ringing them again and cant get a response now. How do i go about getting them fined etc as stated above?

Also, what happens now? They wont send me the LL details or a breakdown of the costs "incurred"to him no recepits or invoices?

CC Homes - LBA issued

karljj1,in reply to your posts and in my view - some of the information below may have already been mentioned by otheres trying to help you:

1.You are entitled to know your landlord's full details.

2.You should be able to find out the details of ownership of the property that you lived in through HM Land Registry if the agent fails to provide you with the details.

3.You sue the landlord and not the agent.

4.Keep all dealings with the agent and landlord(once you find out who he is!) strictly in writing and always send them by Recorded Delivery.Keep your recorded delivery stubbs in a safe place as you may need to show them to a judge further down the line.

5.Once you get the landlord's details - give him up to 1 month to "cough up" and if he doesn't sue!It is as simple as that!

6.It is in your interest to try and resolve the matter without the need for a court hearing

7.If you landlord has not paid you,you would be able to get 8% - simple interest added on to the amount he owes you.

I hope you find this information useful.

If you have any questions,just ask.

Keep us posted.

All the best!

1.You are entitled to know your landlord's full details.

Not necessarily, AFAIK once you stop being a tenant you are not entitled to the information as the Landlord and Tenant Act states the word "tenant". Once you vacate, you are no longer a tenant.

On some things I am very knowledgeable, on other things I am stupid. Trouble is, sometimes I discover that the former is the latter or vice versa, and I don't know this until later - maybe even much later. Read anything I write with the above in mind.

Esio trot,in reply to your last post:

1.Perhaps I was not clear but I was not referring to the Landlord & Tenant laws but the laws associated with landlords/agents i.e. agency law.

2.The last thing the poster would want to do is go and write letters and pay summons fees etc only to find out that he is persuing the wrong person/company.

Not necessarily, AFAIK once you stop being a tenant you are not entitled to the information as the Landlord and Tenant Act states the word "tenant". Once you vacate, you are no longer a tenant.

Interesting point.

If it is correct then the principle should be applied to S 48 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1987 (which provides that rent is not due until the landlord's address is furnished) so that if:

1. A tenant goes into possession

2. The landlord does not furnish his name and address

3. The tenant does not pay any rent

4. The tenancy comes to an end and the tenant vacates

then there is no tenant for the landlord to supply his name and address to and therefore no rent can be claimed.

Whilst it is true that if you are suing for a breach of agreement you should always sue the landlord, when it comes to getting your deposit back you should join in the agent if (a) the agent is actually holding the deposit or (b) should be holding the deposit. The agent should be holding the deposit if the tenancy agreement expressly provides he should hold the deposit or the agreement provides that the deposit is held by the agent as stakeholder.