I think Halifax are stepping things up!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5234 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I filed my claim on MCOL a couple of days ago for unfair charges on our joint account.

Today, the Halifax have called my husband twice saying we must immediately pay in £330 today or else - the thing is, we've only gone this much overdrawn because of their charges. It's all charges - nothing else! We haven't used the account for 2 weeks as we knew we had no money in it (plus we've been on holiday so no need to use it_ but the letters keep coming - another £28 here, another £39 there. They've also just left a message on my phone and my home phone - so that's 4 calls in just one day demanding we pay in the money now. Neither of us get paid until next week so have no money to pay in as the nasty so-and-so's have nicked it all and my husband and I have said this to them. Plus, for two months now they've bounced our mortgage payments, even when we've had the money in the bank. They have said it's because they allocate the funds the day before the payment is due (ie: the day before we get paid). Surely this can't be right?

They have said the mortgage will be bounced again next week too as even when we get paid, because of this £330, we won't have enough money to pay it.

It's quite stressful really, but I'm going to hang on in there. Should we keep a note of the calls - I think it could be construed as bullying, especially after that harrassment case this week.

The thing is, ever since we opened the account we've asked for a small overdraft limit of just £50 and they've always refused and this has cost us thousands.

I'm not too well at the moment and if they call me again I might snap.

Any reassurance gratefully received.

MoggyLover

HSBC - April 2007 - WON! Over £2k

Halifax - June 22 2007 - WON! - Over £4k

Power to the People!!

If it were me I would cancel the direct debit for this month and then restart it next month for 3 days after payday (to allow for weekends). Saves the escalating charges.

Don't worry about it, treat it as a savings plan. You would not get 8% from any other bank at the moment!!!

If I have helped click my scales....

Find my threads by clicking here

Re:Phone calls

There are two call centres for Halifax Bank and neither talk to each other. Basically the computer knows your in debt - then dials your number once you answer it transfers you to an available advisors (not that i would call them advisors!!)

Next time they ring immediatly ask to speak to a supervisor. BEFORE giving security details. If you manage to speak to one advise them that there calls amount to harrasement and that under the "protection of harrasement act 1997" you are reqeusting that all corrispondance be delt with by letter. They should say sorry and hang up. In the morning hand deliver a letter to your branch which you can find on one of the threads regarding harrasement. Get them to sign a reciept to say they have recieved it. Then allow 24 hours for it to be actioned. After the 24 hours have passed log and monitor all calls, who you spoke to time of day ect. Then make a complaint to all 3 of the regulators! Ive read that for every complaint they recieve they will be liable to a £400 fine.

Just about to start my thread on my action against Halifax

Good luck!!:-)

Halifax Bank - Owed £1599

23/3 - Data Protection Act sent

24/5 - Data Protection Act finally arrived

25/5 - Demand for repayment sent

04/10 Court bundle filed with court and Halifax

29/10 STAY ISSUED

JAN 08 - Currently being harrased by debt collectors!

Mar 08 - New DCA - Stopped in there tracks

Jun 08 - And another

Jul 08 - Complaint made to HBOS

Nov 08 - My accounts been sold to a DCA

Jan 09 - New complaint issued against HBOS

Mar 09 - Halifax re-aquired the debt

Apr 09 - Applying for Hardship.

at least they removed 2 defaults in selling accounts! :D

I dont not claim to know everything and any advice i give should be treated as MY opinion.

If ive been helpful tip the scales!

or better still

DONATE TO CAG - every tenner helps!

HOW TO...DUMMIES GUIDE TO CAG...Read here

STEP BY STEP GUIDE...Read here

F&Q's... Read here

EVERYTHING YOU NEED THE A~Z GUIDE...Read here

Go to our Cag Toolbar Download page here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

Thanks that i couldnt find it earlier. I knew someone would come to the rescue.....

Good luck moggy

Halifax Bank - Owed £1599

23/3 - Data Protection Act sent

24/5 - Data Protection Act finally arrived

25/5 - Demand for repayment sent

04/10 Court bundle filed with court and Halifax

29/10 STAY ISSUED

JAN 08 - Currently being harrased by debt collectors!

Mar 08 - New DCA - Stopped in there tracks

Jun 08 - And another

Jul 08 - Complaint made to HBOS

Nov 08 - My accounts been sold to a DCA

Jan 09 - New complaint issued against HBOS

Mar 09 - Halifax re-aquired the debt

Apr 09 - Applying for Hardship.

at least they removed 2 defaults in selling accounts! :D

I dont not claim to know everything and any advice i give should be treated as MY opinion.

If ive been helpful tip the scales!

or better still

DONATE TO CAG - every tenner helps!

HI

I have just recently experienced virtually the same harrassment. There is definite hope for you (and my version is rather interesting!).

I commenced my 'full' charge reclaim from HBOS in January 2007, and just a couple of days ago received (7 letters later) their final verdict that they are not refunding my charges. So the next stage for me is to threaten court action.

ANYWAY! About 6 weeks ago, a charge came off my account which knocked me overdrawn and then snowballed over a period of 20 days to over £320 in charges! Like you, I received the phone calls, on my mobile, my home phone and at work, ranging from first thing in the morning to last thing in the evening.

Naturally I repeatedly called back to say, "I'm refusing to pay these charges", and 'eventually' I was put through directly to tthe complaints sections, wehereupon I made a formal verbal complaint. Within days I received the following:

"
Dear Mr H

Thank you for your recent phone call with regard to the nine charges incurred on your account between 12th March 2007 and 4th April 2007. Firstly, please accept my apologies for any inconvenience or frustration you have been caused by this matter.

You will be please to know that I have arranged, as a gesture of goodwill, to refund these nine charges totalling £329.00. Two unauthorised overdraft fees of £28.00 each and an unpaid item fee of £39.00 have been waived. A credit of £234.00 will be made to your account within the next three bank working days in respect of hte six remaining charges.

Your complaint with regard to the earlier charges on your account is currently being dealt with by a Customer Relations manager, who will respond to you shortly."

They went on to state the usual about why charges are applied etc. But I found it very interesting at the time that I didn't even have to put pen to paper. Restrospectively, now that they've refused to pay my initial claim (over £1000), I'm even more surprised that they just handed it back.

Incidentally, when I complained, I told them that I had withdrawn all my standing orders and direct debits, and was transferring my BACS payment to another bank account elsewhere, I don't know if this visible action on my part had an effect.

So, I hope you keep your chin up, and keep refusing to back down. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

D

Thanks Everyone - all your advice is great.

I refuse to be intimidated by these immoral people any more!!!

MoggyLover :)

HSBC - April 2007 - WON! Over £2k

Halifax - June 22 2007 - WON! - Over £4k

Power to the People!!

A MUM has won a settlement for harassment after being hounded by her bank for money she did not owe.

Battling Alison Turner, 31, was reduced to a tearful wreck after being bombarded by Halifax Bank with 33 phone calls and letters.

She brought a legal action under the Protection from Harassment Act.

Advertisement

//'); //]]>

The single mum-of-two is now expected to receive a cash payment after the bank agreed to settle out of court.

Alison, from Plymouth, was pestered by staff for £775 in overdraft charges the bank had already agreed to wipe out.

Halifax said yesterday: "We have no comment other than it's settled."

Alison's troubles began after she successfully forced the bank to wipe out £775, made up of a string of unjustified £30 charges imposed for going overdrawn.

Amazingly, it took six weeks to clear the debt. But though Halifax had agreed not to contact her, in that time Alison was bombarded with 33 phone calls and letters demanding the money she no longer owed.

The persistent calls flooded in at night and weekends. Sometimes Alison's two children answered the phone and were asked to provide security details.

As the relentless hounding continued Alison, 31, suffered anxiety, stress and emotional problems and was frequently reduced to tears.

Eventually she brought a landmark legal action under the Protection from Harassment Act 1997 seeking an injunction against the bank and "substantial damages".

She has now won an out-of-court settlement in a triumph for consumers against the might of big banks.

Last night Alison said: "I've been told by my solicitors not to say anything."

But a neighbour in Devonport, Plymouth, said: "She's a lovely woman.

"She was being bullied but decided to fight back. Whatever she has won she really deserves."

Eddie Weatherall, of the Independent Banking Advisory Service, said: "This is a step in the right direction. People still get rung late at night and repeatedly phoned on their home number.

"But making three or four calls on the same day is harassment.

"People are now more aware that banks shouldn't be doing it and are telling them to p**s off. If you say to a bank 'You're harassing me', they'll take it quite seriously."

Consumer group Which? added: "This is a different case than most because it's based on a bank's behaviour. Most actions against banks are based on financial matters rather than the way someone feels they've been treated.

"It's another example of how people can keep challenging banks. If they feel they have a case they should seek advice. It takes time and patience - but it can be done."

When Alison was first hit by the bank charges she was so desperate she was about to approach a loan shark. Then she spoke to lawyers.

She said earlier this year: "There was a lot on the news about banks not being allowed to charge excessive overdraft penalties to customers. It made me think and I took advice."

When she launched her action for harassment, she said: "I was bullied by the bank and made to feel a failure for getting into debt.

"If customers are having problems, banks should try to get them back into the black not make their position worse by harassing them on the phone.

"I got calls at 6.20pm on a Friday and early on Saturday morning. The constant calling reduced me to tears."

Solicitor Neil Mercer said at the time: "She was constantly harangued for money she no longer owed.

"It caused sleepless nights and great concern. There's no question it amounted to harassment."

The Financial Ombudsman Service said customers taking action against banks have jumped by 50 per cent to more than 100,000.

It added: "There are now clear channels on how to go about challenging the banks. There's very little case law history, so banks are wary of going to court.

"They don't know what will happen. Even if a bank wins, it will be portrayed as the bad guy. So more and more are settling out of court."

Halifax Bank said: "We have no comment to make about the case other than to say it's settled. There's no court hearing