Virgin Media cancellation query

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5217 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I stopped my direct debit when I moved out of my last house at the end of March. I didn't notify them because you can't get through to their customer service number unless you can state a landline number, which I don't have.

I thought they'd get the message, but a month later I got a bill for £65.

Again I tried to call but couldn't get through. So I sent them an email via their website, including all my new contact details.

I got no response.

I just picked up a load more mail from the old place and there's THREE MORE bills, now totalling £95.

AGAIN I couldn't get through on their phoneline, so I sent them another email via their site.

This morning I get a generic email saying "if your email was a disconnection request then it will be disconnected in 30 days"

Where do I stand on this, and what can be done, folks? Do I just wait for them to respond once they've read the actual email, or follow it up with a letter now?

You do have a responsibility to cancel - saying you could not get through on the phone is kinda self-defeating. (Any old number would have got you though providing the dialling code entered was local to you). In the absence of using the phone, a letter requesting cessation is next. However, if they still provide their service because you didn't tell them you were moving means the charges are valid and need to be paid. Sorry.

:) I was in the same boat - BB and no phone number, then I found out how crude the 'enter your phone number' really was - because when you got through..... they asked for your phone number! :D

You can't expect them to know that you're cancelling purely as a result of not being paid. That would cause a lot of problems for a lot of people. Also, how could they justify their "late payment fee" if they cut off everyone who missed one bill by one day? ;)

HSBCLloyds TSBcontractual interestNew Tax Creditscoming for you?NTL/Virgin Media

Never give in ... Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. Churchill, 1941

• 3 weeks later...

I am in the middle of trying to cancel. Tried for the past 3 months via phone (no joy unless you select 'make a payment' in which case you are through in 30 seconds!). Tried email - it bounced. Yes I wrote too unfortunately not recorded delivery, they didn't recieve it (yea right:rolleyes: )

So Im now stuck with a 200 pound bill for a service I unplugged months ago. Meanwhile I'm waiting in a queue (1/2 hour and counting). I appreciate the comments about not being able to prove my phone attempts but when a company says you can ring to cancel it shouldn't take 3 months to get through. Just feeling like a rant at the moment cos just got back from abroad on monday to find yet another Virgin bill so my peevishness is freshly brewed and steaming :-x:mad:

By the way Citizens advice and Office of Fair Trade say I haven't a leg to stand on - so I am reluctantly paying up. However I have sent the details to BBC Watchdog because I do think they are using some very sharp practice and I would like to see them squirm!

Rant over

:)